"While most companies who resorted to the tired Mortal Kombat template of gore and brutality, Kaneko actually put a great deal of work into this game to balance it out and actually assure that there is some value in playing it, and they also make very good use of Jackie himself creating 3 different versions of him based on fan favorite characters of his movie past. Too bad he's an absolute a-hole throughout the game though. As you fight him, you'll lose and lose and lose and lose, and after each fight he'll laugh his ass off and mock you while speaking Engrish."Jackie Chan: The Kung-Fu Master is a fighting game created by Kaneko (the same company that created Blood Warrior) and weirdly enough, tried to follow the steps of Mortal Kombat. That's right, it's a gory Fighting Game with photo as sprites that includes Jackie Chan!How did they managed to release this without destroying Jackie Chan image? Well, the answer is quite simple: There is blood and gore as long as Jackie Chan is not in battling. If any of the players uses Jackie Chan, then blood and Finishing Moves will be unavailable.Besides the first impression of the inclusion of Jackie Chan, what is most amazing is that the game is actually pretty good!. With a roster of six characters and three unusable Purposely Overpowered versions of Jackie Chan, the game plays actually very well. Good music, good graphics and very smooth Gameplay, it's most likely the best Mortal Kombat imitator out there.The game received a Updated Re-release called Jackie Chan in Fists of Fire. Besides some changes in the game engine, there are two main differences. First of all, the player is allowed to use any of the Jackie Chans (which are terribly over-powered) and three characters have their colors swapped for no good reason. (why? We don't know, it will always be a mystery)This game is actually very obscure since it was not exported outside China, and the protection was so well done that people were unable to emulate until late 2008!note
This game provides examples of:
- Bloodless Carnage - See Contractual Purity.
- Contractual Purity - There is no blood when Jackie Chan is present.
- Copy Protection - The game was obtained in 2000, but it took 8 years to understand how to break the copyright protection of it.
- Gorn - A given for a Mortal Kombat clone.
- Graceful Loser: When defeated, Jackie Chan stands up and congratulates his opponent.
- Follow the Leader - of Mortal Kombat.
- No Export for You - Most likely the reason why this game is that obscure.
- Palette Swap - Of three characters in the Updated Re-release... for no good reason.
- Supposedly the reason these 3 characters are oddly colored in the sequel is that they died in the first game and are now Jiangshi.
- Purposely Overpowered - The three versions of Jackie Chan are this, which is obviously on purpose because it's a Jackie Chan game.
- SNK Boss - Jackie Chan himself.