Video Game: Insurgency
Insurgency is a 2007 freeware total conversion Source mod featuring realistic gun mechanics and teamwork-based gameplay set between a conventional army against partisans. The Steam release of the mod is titled Insurgency: Modern Infantry Combat. Developed by InterWave Studios, a commercial version released as Insurgency was later made by New World Interactive (with many of the mod's original developers) using the Portal 2 Source engine, on January 22nd, 2014.You can download the mod from Steam here. (Source Engine game required, see the list here) The commercial version's website is here.
This series provides examples of:
- Armor-Piercing Attack: Your gun can use armor-piercing ammunition in retail Insurgency if you pay supply for it. Inversely, you can use your supply on hollowpoint anti-personnel ammunition to be more lethal when striking non-armored areas on your target's body.
- Armor Is Useless: Averted as you can use light and heavy armor which may slow your movement but will greatly aid your survivability as long as they actually hit you in your armored chest and torso, though armor-piercing ammunition can make it less effective and will completely go through light armor.
- Blinded by the Light: Flashbangs are available in commercial Insurgency, as well as flashlight attachments for weapons. As you'd expect from the trope, they're good for blinding your enemies. The effect doubles when using NV Gs, for obvious reasons.
- Boring Yet Practical: A generalist rifle is available for all classes and both sides in retail Insurgency, with the noticeable bonus of minimalist cost (1 for Security, 0 for Insurgents).
- Break Out the Museum Piece: At least one weapon per game is much older than the rest, namely the L42A1 sniper rifle in the mod, or a few WW2 guns for the Insurgents team in the retail game.
- Concealment Equals Cover: Averted Trope, the distinction between the words is even pointed out in the game's tutorial while explaining not everything will stop bullets. Armor-piercing ammo goes through cover better than normal ammunition, hollow-point ammo is worse at it than the basic.
- Every Bullet Is a Tracer: Averted Trope since tracer ammo does not fire tracers with every shot and players can easily elect to use non-tracer ammo that doesn't fire them.
- Gun Accessories: In both games, though expanded greatly in the retail game. In the first, the only accessories were grips, sights, and grenade launchers on a few rifles. In the second, every weapon can be modified with different ammunition types, sights, or barrel modifications.
- Emergency Weapon: The M9 and Makarov sidearms in the retail game are mentioned to be along these lines by the training instructor, though carrying one is up to the player. All players also automatically have a knife for this purpose... outside of Cherry Tapping someone they completely blindsided.
- Friend Or Foe: Friendly fire can be on or off depending on the server for retail Insurgency. Oh, and try to not point your flashlight at your own allies. Markers appear for you to see your allies' positions, but are not on at all times and do not appear immediately from when they are not currently marking an ally you're seeing...
- Private Military Contractors: The Security team of the commercial Insurgency is stated to have contracts in the mission, leaving the implications of what sort of combatants they are fairly clear.
- Trick Bullet: Commercial Insurgency allows players load their gun with team-colored tracer rounds that become more common as they run low (red for Security, green for Insurgents) at no supply cost, allowing them to easily point out what they're shooting at to allies and let them get an approximation of their magazine's current ammo count at the cost of making it easier for enemies to pick out where they're shooting from and also giving them an approximation of their magazine's current ammo count.
- Molotov Cocktail: An explosive weapon available to the Insurgent team, added in the aptly-named "Molotov Spring" update. It has a counterpart in the incendiary grenade used by the Security team.
- Smoke Out: Commercial Insurgency has smoke grenades available for a supply point to be thrown for concealing your team's movement and blinding enemy positions.