Houchou Shoujo Gensoukyoku
(Little Knife Girl Fantasy), a freeware fangame by Atelier Izumi, is Yume Nikki
as an action metroidvania
. It is the sequel to a simpler action game, known as Soul Dream
, which can be unlocked after beating the final boss once.Look here for more info and download links.
This game contains the following tropes:
- Bonus Boss: FACE.
- Bonus Dungeon: Nightmare, available after the game is beaten once.
- Degraded Boss: A few bosses appear as normal enemies at the last area.
- Double Jump: Available from the beginning.
- Embedded Precursor: Yume Nikki Soul Dream can be unlocked after the final boss is beaten.
- Healing Checkpoint: The save point desks.
- Mirror Boss: One of the last bosses, also seen in Soul Dream. There's also a ghostly Madotsuki who appears alongside FACE. She mustn't be hit, as her HP is linked to the player Madotsuki.
- Multiple Endings: There's a certain desk that normally does nothing, but if you return there after defeating FACE, you unlock a wall-of-text-ending that doesn't seem to be good news. Also, beating the game normally after clearing it with everyone results in a Golden Ending.
- Nostalgia Level: The main level from Soul Dream appears during the middle-game with a new level design and a expanded theme song.
- One-Winged Angel: Poniko turns into Uboa during the battle with her, of course.
- Randomly Drops: Enemies sometimes drop healing items.
- Revised Ending: The version of Yume Nikki Soul Dream included here has a happy ending, which fits with the main game's ending.
- Special Attack: Unlocked as your character gains levels. Although normally done by control motions, you can also use the numberpad to easily activate them.
- Speed Run: The game records your best clear time.
- Spikes of Doom: Kill you in one hit.
- The Stinger: "Return to the true 'Yume Nikki'...", a message that appears after the secret ending.
- Secret Character: Monoko, Monoe, Masada-sensei and Poniko.