Hard Hat is a series of fan-made games by Damaged Games. Similar to the original Mega Man
, the player has to defeat eight bosses (while obtaining their weapons) before facing off against Dr Wily. In this series, you control the Mascot Mook
of the games, a Metool
known as "Hard Hat". Each of the games has Hard Hat pissed off at Wily for some reason, and hence makes him want to destroy Wily's ambitions in some way or other (though the two usually reconcile at the end of the game).
Download them here
Not to be confused with The Hard Hat
Tropes used for this game:
- Actually A Doom Bot: In the first game's ending, Hard Hat kills Dr.Wily only for the real Dr.Wily to appear and reveal the one he just killed was a robot.
- Anti-Frustration Feature: 4 gives the players the option to make spikes and other One-Hit Kill contact substances non-lethal. Bottomless Pits will still kill you, though.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Done in Hard Hat 2. In the intro there is a villian called Mr.X, Dr.Wily remembers he was Mr.X in Mega Man 6. In the ending when played on normal mode, Hard Hat thought the game would be harder which causes Dr.Wily to say go and play Hard mode. He says this even if you play the game in hard mode!
- Breakout Mook Character: You play as a Metool, the series' Mascot Mook. The second and third games do give him the ability to perform an invincible crouch.
- Bottomless Pit Rescue Service: The Chasm Bounce, the secondary ability given to you by Aerial Man.
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Done in Mega Man fashion, no less.
- Luckily My Hat Will Protect Me: Somewhat averted- your hat is only effective in shielding against regular shots.
- Mega Manning: As the game was based off Mega Man, it's not surprising that Hard Hat is able to get the weapons of defeated robot masters.
- Nintendo Hard: All four games. Then again, they are based of the original Mega Man series...
- Secondary Fire: The third game gives Hard Hat a secondary attack for EVERY weapon.
- Shout-Out: The whole of Wily Stage 1 in 4 is one to Mega Man 2's first Wily Stage, right down to (most of) the level layout, music, and boss.
- The Smurfette Principle: Blaze Gal in 4.
- Spread Shot: In 3 and 4, Hard Hat gets the Metool spread shot as a secondary fire. Collecting the letters "Hard Hat 4" allows you to spam it indefinitely.
- The Bad Guy Wins: The first Hard Hat Game. Hard Hat kills Mega Man and Dr.Light as he turns out to still work for Dr.Wily.
- Although Dr.Light is still alive as shown in the ending of Hard Hat 3.
- The Unreveal: It is never revealed who Mr.X is in Hard Hat 2: War Ensemble.
- Villain Protagonist: Not surprising, since you play as a Mascot Mook. Although he gets pissed off with Wily, the two still reconcile in the end (at least in the first two games and the fourth). The third game has you fight Mega Man as a boss. And you get to kill him!
- Warm-Up Boss: Sketch Man in 4. His stage is very easy compared to the others, and when you face him, he's not even an Art Attacker- he fires weak pencil lead and eraser shavings, and he also takes extra damage from your regular attack.
- Wave Motion Gun: The secondary attack for the third game's Plasma Shot is this.