A 2002 Spinoff
of the Grandia
series. As the Grandia
games were renowned for their exciting and dynamic battle system, a decision was made to make a game that focused almost entirely on combat. Unfortunately, this means that the story is threadbare
and the gameplay largely involves grinding for levels, equipment and skills
. There are only seven dungeons in the game, three of which are randomly generated
A natural disaster known as the Elemental Disorder has thrown the world into chaos, forcing the Nortis Army to mobilise and search for a solution. A young Ranger named Evann is recruited to help in this endeavour, an offer that he is prepared to turn down until he discovers that his childhood friend and rival
Kroitz is a high-ranking commander within the army. Accepting the mission, Evann must travel to the four elemental temples that lie across the world and investigate just what (or who
) could be causing the Elemental Disorder.
Tropes associated with Grandia Xtreme:
- Amazing Technicolor Battlefield: During final battle.
- An Ice Person: Myam. Two of her special moves are ice elemental.
- Awesome, but Impractical: Some of the Combination Attacks are flashy, but some just plain hack and slash multiple times for big hits.
- BFS: Brandol
- Big Bad: Quanlee.
- Big Eater: Brandol.
- The Big Guy: Brandol, Ulk.
- Blow You Away: Howlnado spell.
- Bonus Dungeon: 100 floors Vortex Corridor.
- Bonus Boss: Level 200 Zenothlee.
- Bratty Half-Pint: Ben's Son.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Brandol to Wendy, Lutina to Evann. Averted by Lutina in the second ending: "We'll be waiting. By then... I'll be more attractive to you."
- Cloning Blues: Lutina's Dragon Mirage.
- Cluster F-Bomb
- Combination Attack: The first of the series.
- Cognizant Limbs: The series' staple for bosses.
- Deadpan Snarker: Evann, Jaid.
- Defeat Equals Friendship: Quanlee.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Lutina in the post ending.
- Dungeon Crawling
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: BA-BOOM! spell.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: Ben's Wife and Ben's Son.
- Everything Is Better With Spinning: Brandol's Spinning Slash and Tornado Slash.
- Eyes Always Shut: Ben's Wife.
- Fantastic Racism: Brandol has something against Archadians. The feeling is mutual with Jaid.
- Fiery Red Head: Myam. Ironically that she's more of An Ice Person.
- Fight Woosh: Glass shattering type.
- Flawless Victory: Ending a battle without taking any damage will earn you bonus EXP range from 20% to 100%.
- Fragile Speedster: Titto, Lutina.
- Gaiden Game
- Genki Girl: Myam.
- Heel-Face Turn: Quanlee.
- Hey, It's That Voice!: Dean Cain as Evann, Lisa Loeb as Lutina, Mark Hamill as Kroitz, and so on.
- Hot-Blooded: Evann.
- Idiot Hero: Evann.
- Infinity–1 Sword: The Zero weapons, which increase EXP gained when equipped but zero attack power.
- Infinity+1 Sword: A few. But Spirit Blade stands out the most. Not to mention the ridiculous way to get it.
- Knife Nut: Titto.
- Large Ham: Kroitz.
- Lightning Bruiser: Evann. Emphasis on 'lightning'.
- Mad Scientist: Specto.
- Manipulative Bastard: Kroitz. He manipulated the entire army just for them to work for him (and Specto) to revive the Big Bad.
- The Medic: Myam.
- Metal Slime: Lucky Minks.
- Mighty Glacier: Brandol, Ulk.
- Mythology Gag: The battle music from previous Grandia randomly change in Vortex Corridor.
- Our Elves Are Different: Arcadian and Hazman.
- Randomly Drops
- Rare Candy: Stats-raising seeds.
- The Rival: Evann and Kroitz.
- Shock and Awe: Evann yet again.
- Slap-on-the-Wrist Nuke: Meteor Strike and Galactic Bang spells.
- The Stoic: Lutina.
- Tech Points: Mental, Combat, Physical and Special.
- Useless Useful Spell: Averted. Some of the status-inflicting spells such as Shhh! and Fiora (blocking enemies' Magic and Moves) work even on bosses.
- Unresolved Sexual Tension: Evann and Lutina, Evann and Diene, Brandol and Wendy...
- Video Game Stealing: Titto's Get Item.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Evann and Titto. Or green hair for Jaid and Lutina.