Video Game: Gran Trak 10
Gran Trak 10 (single player, timed) and Gran Trak 20 (Player Versus Player) are the first Driving Games, released by Atari in 1974. Each player uses a real steering wheel, gearshift, and gas and brake pedals to drive a Formula One-style car around a series of one-screen Top-Down View racetracks. Every time the player completes a lap, the track changes.Had several sequels, including Formula K, Twin Racer, and the eight-player Indy 800.
Gran Trak 10 and Gran Trak 20 provide examples of:
- Driving Game: The Ur-Example.
- Endless Game
- Flip Screen Scrolling: Sort of. There is no visible connection from where you were to where you are; the next track just suddenly appears as you drive down the front straight. All the tracks share the same front straight at the bottom of the screen.
- In-Vehicle Invulnerability: The Ur-Example.
- No Plot? No Problem!
- Slippery Skid: Oil slicks lying on the track.
- Player Versus Player: Gran Trak 20.
- Timed Mission: Gran Trak 10.
- Top-Down View