Video Game: Girl's Garden
Girl's Garden, released in 1984 exclusively for the SG 1000, was one of the first console video games aimed at girls. It was the first video game programmed for Sega by Yuji Naka, who later became a founding member of Sonic Team and programmed Sonic The Hedgehog 1.Papri's boyfriend, Minto, is inclined towards her romantic rival, Cocco. To make him walk back towards her, Papri has to walk around the country garden, collecting flowers in full bloom while being mindful of the local wildlife.
This game contains examples of:
- Bears Are Bad News: Bears will try to chase down Papri if she comes within sight of them. They can be distracted by leaving pots of honey on the ground.
- Bonus Stage: Every two rounds are followed by a "Challenging Stage" where Papri can win bonus points by jumping over bears.
- Edible Collectible: The game has grapes, apples and cherries as bonus point items. (There's also honey, but it's for the bears.)
- Endless Game: The game has no other goals than Scoring Points and looping through as many rounds as possible.
- Flowers of Romance: The goal of each round is for Papri to return home and present Minto with a bouquet of ten flowers. The garden fills up with blossoms when the round is completed.
- Lohengrin and Mendelssohn: Mendelssohn's wedding march is played when Papri and Minto are lovingly united at the completion of a round.
- Pink Girl, Blue Boy: Papri's sprite is magenta, Minto's sprite is blue and Cocco's sprite is light red. However, Papri and Minto wear different colors on the cover.
- Poison Mushroom: Picking up dead black flowers will kill half of the blossoms in Papri's bouquet. Also, the bee can drop a deadly skull.
- The Power of Love: Papri is revived after dying by a heart floating off the "LOVE" meter.
- Super Drowning Skills: Papri should take care not to fall into the lake, since she evidently can't swim.