in Japan) is a Light Gun Game
developed by 8ing/Raizing
and released by Namco
in 1999 in Arcade Game
form, and then ported one year later to the PlayStation 1
. It is considered a Spin-Off
of the more popular Point Blank
series of games, and in fact it has the same structure comprising various mini-games. This time it also includes full 3D graphics, boss battles and (in the PS1 port) an Adventure Mode.
The game is about a witch's curse that turned people into cats. Kevin and Lisa are two kids who try to rescue them, but the witch caught them and turned them too into humanoid cats. Now they need to free the mansion not only from the ghosts but also from the family of monsters that inhabit it.
Not to be confused with Zombie Panic
or with Ghoul Patrol
, the sequel to Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Ghoul Panic provides examples of:
- Anime Hair - The main characters, in both human and cat form.
- Attack Its Weak Point - Bosses' weak points are always signaled.
- Blue Boy Pink Girl - Lisa has pink hair/fur and Kevin's is blue/dark purple.
- Color-Coded Multiplayer - Just like in Point Blank, in some stages you have to shoot the targets in the same color of your player character. Failure in doing so results in the loss of a life.
- Cute Witch - Witchina.
- Cute Kitten - The people turned into yellow kittens you need to rescue (i.e. don't shoot them) and of course the players.
- Dem Bones - Disco dancing skeletons!
- The End... Or Is It? - The ending shows Witchina very much alive and pissed off.
- Frankenstein's Monster - The first boss, Frankie, is based upon him.
- Gaiden Game - Arguably to the Point Blank series.
- Goggles Do Nothing - Kevin sports a couple of them.
- Haunted House - The entire game is set in one.
- High-Class Glass - Vladie sports a monocle.
- Lighter and Softer - Compared to every other monster-killing light gun video game ever made.
- Mama Bear - Mama Mia, natch. Right after Witchina is defeated, Mama rises from the ground to provide the final boss battle.
- Noblewoman's Laugh - Witchina.
- Non-Indicative Title - Are there any ghouls in this game? Why didn't they call it Ghost Panic (because, you know, ghosts are about 99% of the enemies)?
- Non-Mammal Mammaries - Mama Mia. It's always a bit unsettling seeing a huge dragon with equally huge, bouncy breasts.
- No Ontological Inertia - After Mama Mia's defeat, the witch's curse is lifted (so the players and the other people revert to their human state) and the ghosts are free to leave the mansion.
- One-Winged Angel - Frankie goes from a toddler hopping on a pogo stick to a huge burly guy throwing cinderblocks, and Vladie the vampire turns into a giant bat.
- Our Dragons Are Different - Mama Mia.
- Panty Shot - You can get a glimpse of Witchina's underwear when she's riding her flying broom.
- Quirky Household - The bosses (a construct, a vampire, a witch and a dragon) are all part of the same family, which is possibly the weirdest example of this trope since The Munsters.
- Shout-Out - The battle against Vladie the vampire is similar to the fight against the Hangedman, the bat-winged creature from the first House of the Dead game. They both attack by flinging bats at the player, have similar poses and an annoying high-pitched voice.
- Third Is 3D - If you assume this to be the third installment of the Point Blank series.
- X Meets Y - Point Blank meets House of the Dead.