Free-to-play cover-based 3rd person shooter spin-off to Ghost Recon: Future Soldier
with focus on teamwork. Open beta available here
Players have 3 classes to choose from. Each of them have a choice of 2 class-specific equipment. Players can change classes between match, but not inside the match itself. :
- ASSAULT are bread and butter rifleman. They can deploy HEAT system to microwave enemies out of their cover or BLITZ headfirst into the fray with shield. Wield assault rifle or shotgun. Has highest armor of all class.
- SPECIALIST are geared to support their team. They can BLACKOUT enemy equipment and disorienting them for short period, or they can fire up their AEGIS bullet-stopping energy bubble to cover teammates. Wield either LMG or shotgun. Balanced speed and armor.
- RECON can choose between the all-seeing ORACLE or good old CLOAK system. Wield sniper rifle or SMG. Has highest speed of all three.
In March 2014, Ubisoft has announced a total overhaul of the game into Ghost Recon Phantom
, featuring more in-depth backstory to the game, improved graphics, enhancements to game mechanics and many others. It was released on Steam
on April 11 2014.
The game provides examples of:
- A.K.A.-47: Some of them.
- Awesome Backpack: In Ghost Recon Online, all devices with the exception of Assault's Blitz (which is an expandable ballistic shield) came in this from.
- In the Hood: Recon's outfit.
- Grenade Spam: Can happen but not encouraged since the game cost you every match you use them rather than being equipped item you can use all the time.
- Gun Porn
- Gun Accessories: You can change the muzzle, magazine type, scopes and minor accessories like bipod for stable shooting or laser pointer for helping you tag a location for your teammates. But some parts of the gun like stock, bipod or barrel types are mostly locked and present itself in form of another variant of the gun instead. (The latter is changed in Ghost Recon Phantoms with the arrival of fully-customizable Mod Master weapons)
- Highly Conspicuous Uniform: What a soldier with full diving mask is doing on top of skyscraper, or what a sniper in winter camouflage is doing in sandy construction site is anyone's guess.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Will get you killed. Going alone also means that you will not get any bonus given by teammate's squad support.
- Right-Handed Left-Handed Guns: How the game allows you to flip the camera between shoulders cause this to happen.