Video Game: Ghost Hunters
Ghost Hunters is a horror-themed Action Adventure game published by Codemasters in 1987. Originally developed by Philip and Andrew Oliver (who went on from this game to create Dizzy) for the Amstrad CPC and ZX Spectrum, the game was also ported to the Commodore 64.Nightmare Mansion is full of ghosts and zombies that will drain your vital energy by their very presence. To dispel these creatures and make the Terrometer go down, you are armed with a sub-compact anti-matter Phantom splatterer, whose gun sight is controlled completely independently of your movement. Your purpose in exploring this evil-infested place is to claim the reward offered by Professor Twilight, the mansion's owner, and to rescue your twin brother, Chud Studbuckle, who got lost inside.
Tropes appearing in this game:
- Call A Hitpoint A Smeerp: Your health is known as "Macho Energy."
- Co-Op Multiplayer: Of the "assist" version. The second player controls the gun sight.
- Flip Screen Scrolling
- Haunted House: Nightmare Mansion, the game's setting.
- Healing Potion: You replenish your energy by drinking from the bubbling cauldrons.
- Invincible Minor Minion: Some of the monsters are indestructible. They don't affect the Terrometer, fortunately.
- Level-Map Display: A map of the mansion is always available at the press of a key.
- Title Scream: "Ghost Hunters!" is the only speech heard in the game.
- What the Hell, Player?: "Don't shoot yourself."