Getsu Fūma Den
(translated as Legend of Getsu Fuma) is an Action RPG
for the Famicom by Konami
released in Japan in 1987.
In the first year of the Demon Age (14672), a horrible demon named Dragon Master was revived by his minions in hell. To protect the peace of the overworld, the two eldest Fūma brothers fought the Dragon Master. Both were unable to defeat him and were killed, losing their legendary Hadouken ("wave swords"). To avenge their deaths, the last of the Fūma brothers vowed to slay the Dragon Master and retrieve the swords.
While never released outside of Japan, there are English Fan Translations
This game provides examples of:
- Jump Physics: The game lets you jump in mid-air after falling off a ledge. This proves useful for collecting powerups hovering over pits.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The main character is based on Fuuma Kotaro.
- Nothing but Skulls: An improbable proportion of the overworld terrain is made of or covered with skulls. Other bones can be seen, but skulls are predominant.
- Preexisting Encounters: Some enemy encounters are triggered by running into their sprites on the overworld, though in most places they're impossible to avoid.
- To Hell and Back: Getsu Fuma goes to hell to fight the Dragon Master, regain the family's lost swords and avenge his slain brothers. Played with in the respect that his victory allows his brothers to rest in peace, not bringing them back to life.