Video Game: Getsu Fuma Den
Getsu Fūma Den (translated as Legend of Getsu Fuma) is an Action RPG for the Famicom by Konami released in Japan in 1987.In the first year of the Demon Age (14672), a horrible demon named Dragon Master was revived by his minions in hell. To protect the peace of the overworld, the two eldest Fūma brothers fought the Dragon Master. Both were unable to defeat him and were killed, losing their legendary Hadouken ("wave swords"). To avenge their deaths, the last of the Fūma brothers vowed to slay the Dragon Master and retrieve the swords.While never released outside of Japan, there are English Fan Translations. Getsu Fuma and Ryukotsuki, however, have occasionally appeared in other Konami media, such as in Yu-Gi-Oh!, Neo Contra, Hard Corps: Uprising, Otomedius (although they both are represented by girls in that game), and Castlevania: Harmony of Despair.
This game provides examples of:
- After the End: The game is set in distant future, but the Big Bad Ryukotsuki has almostly wiped out humanity. Technologies are, at that time, very, very scarce.
- Jump Physics: The game lets you jump in mid-air after falling off a ledge. This proves useful for collecting powerups hovering over pits.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: The main character is based on Fuuma Kotaro.
- Nothing but Skulls: An improbable proportion of the overworld terrain is made of or covered with skulls. Other bones can be seen, but skulls are predominant.
- Preexisting Encounters: Some enemy encounters are triggered by running into their sprites on the overworld, though in most places they're impossible to avoid.
- Samurai: Getsu Fuma's class, it would seem. Though that doesn't stop him from getting some shuriken...
- Sword Beam: As the name might suggest, the Hadouken can fire off three energy waves.
- To Hell and Back: Getsu Fuma goes to hell to fight the Dragon Master, regain the family's lost swords and avenge his slain brothers. Played with in the respect that his victory allows his brothers to rest in peace, not bringing them back to life.