Video Game: Future Wars
Future Wars is an Adventure Game by Delphine Software that focuses on Time Travel. It was one of the first adventure games on the PC to use 256-color VGA graphics, released over a year before King's Quest V: Absence Makes The Heart Go Yonder!.The nameless protagonist stumbles upon a time machine and happens to foil an alien plot in the middle ages; as a reward, he is taken to the dystopic future (under attack from those same aliens) and asked to help defeat them in the stone age.
Includes the following tropes:
- Almighty Window-Washer
- Bad Future: It's pretty much in ruins because of the aliens.
- Corrupt Church: The monastery is one of the aliens' secret bases. Just entering it unprepared kills you.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Too many to list. More than half of the screens have something lethal.
- Gone Swimming, Clothes Stolen: You have to do this to a skinnydipper in Medieval times in order to acquire suitable clothes.
- Lost Forever: A classic adventure gaming trope, it is quite easy to leave several areas while forgetting to obtain an item that becomes crucial later.
- Phlebotinum Breakdown: The time machine doesn't work too well, causing you to end up in the wrong spot at least twice.
- Pixel Hunt: Early in the beginning, you have to put a one-pixel flag into a one-pixel hole to proceed.
- Sudden Gameplay Change: The endgame consists of two back-to-back action sequences.
- The Future: One of the eras you travel to.
- You ALL Look Familiar: Many NPCs share sprites with you. Except for the coveralls you wear for window washing, every outfit in the game is copied by at least one NPC.
- This is most obvious early in the game, when you take the Medieval outfit and look EXACTLY like the NPC who was just wearing it when you put it on.