Video Game: Flappy Bird
Flappy Bird was a 2013 video game for mobile devices. It reached the #1 position in the Apple App Store in February 2014 and due to certain circumstances was abruptly pulled not too long after.The gameplay is simple and reminiscent of Copter: just tap the screen to give the flying bird a height boost. And try to avoid the pipes and the ground. Despite its simplicity, it is extremely difficult.
Tropes present in the mobile game include:
- Auto-Scrolling Level: The whole game.
- Cutscene Power to the Max/Gameplay and Story Segregation: The Bird is perfectly capable of level flight in the Title Screen, but forgets the moment you press the Start Button.
- Deadly Walls: The slightest touch of a pipe or the ground is instantly fatal.
- Expy: The Bird looks suspiciously similar to a Cheep Cheep from Super Mario Bros., and those pipes look very familiar...
- It in turn did spawn an entire movement of clones trying to capitalize on its success.
- The orange version also looks suspiciously like Magikarp, another video game character notorious for being a total failure...
- Fan Sequel: Many exist, mostly capitalizing on other memes. When the game was taken down, though, indie developers released, on Flappy Jam, clones and similar games intended as homages. Some examples include:
- Nintendo Hard: The pipes have just a little bit more than what you need to navigate between them, without a difficulty curve or any more obstacles. You'll go as far as your reflexes and nerves let you.
- No Plot? No Problem!
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: The eponymous Bird.
- Reality Is Unrealistic: Some players of Flappy Bird accused the game's significant difficulty on the bird having unfair physics. This article shows that the bird has a completely realistic fallspeed, and those players were used to games where gravity is altered for the convenience of the player.
- Retreaux: The graphics are pixelated and have a 16-bit palette; the sound effects consist of the bird flapping, the bell when you clear a pipe, and the crash sound.
- Scoring Points
- Side View
- Super-Deformed: The Bird appears spherical and has one heck of a pair of lips.
- Suspiciously Similar Substitute: The game was criticised for being an almost complete copy/ripoff of a French-developed game called Piou Piou vs. Cactus, including gameplay (tap on the screen), main character design (small yellow bird with big red beak) and obstacles (green pipes/cacti). When confronted about this, Nguyen claimed he had never heard of Piou Piou vs. Cactus. Since the game was removed from the App Store it's spawned a massive number of half-assed clones trying to capitalize on the success of the first to the point that clones started to be labelled "spam" if they tried to submit to the store.
- Updated Re-release: Flappy Birds Family, so far available only on Amazon Fire TV. It adds enemy ghosts to the game, and adds a competitive two-player mode in which the players have three lives.
- Video Game Flight