Video Game / Dungeonland
"I've dedicated my evilness to creating the most deadly and ingeniously cruel... Theme park."
Created by Critical Studio, and published by Paradox Interactive
is an isometric hack and slash with a twist - while three players play the role of intrepid adventurers, the fourth takes the role of the Dungeon Maestro, whose role is to make their adventure fun and fair.
This game provides examples of:
- 1-Up: There are some hidden in chests, but fairly rare. Heroes can also select a perk to start with an extra life.
- Affectionate Parody: Of tabletop and board game RPGs in general.
- Amusement Park of Doom: The titular Dungeonland.
- Arrows on Fire: If the rogue shoots arrows through a mage's fire wall, they'll become fire arrows.
- Back Stab: The rogue can perform these, killing all non-bosses in a single shot.
- Barrier Warrior: The Mage can use a beam on allies that makes them immune to damage.
- BattleCry: The Fighter's NEVER SURRENDER! which revives all allies.
- Boss Battle: In multiple flavors, depending on the level or DM's choice.
- Combat Medic: The Mage. All of his potions involve healing of some kind, and his secondary attack can be modified with a perk to provide healing. Despite this, a fire mage can also dish out the punishment.
- Difficult but Awesome: The Mage's invulnerability beam is called Ray of Awesome. In the hands of a skilled mage it lives up to its name.
- Evil Laugh: There is a giant purple button specifically for this.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: What else would you expect?
- For the Evulz: Why is the DM luring heroes to his park to kill them? For fun.
- Genre Savvy: Knowing that the heroes always win, the Dungeon Maestro built his park to be a place where the bad guy can win. And does. Almost all of the time.
- The GM Is A Cheating Bastard: There are DM traits that allude to the Dungeon Maestro using tactics that would be illegal if it weren't for the fact that he made the game in the first place.
- Have a Nice Death: The announcements at the beginning of each level usually tell the heroes to have fun dying horribly.
- Healing Potion: The Mage gets the closest thing to traditional ones, which heal all allies in a radius with an added bonus thrown in. The Rogue can deploy a barrel filled with smaller potions his allies can use.
- Holy Hand Grenade: The Rogue can equip this as his potion of choice. It damages all enemies and heals all allies within the radius.
- Jerkass: The Rogue. Some of his lines make him out to be a complete jerk, such as "Mage is down again. Big Surprise." and "You do seem to enjoy the floor a lot."
- Karma Meter: For the Dungeon Maestro. Although it more measures what form of evil you prefer.
- I Can't Feel My Legs: The Mage will occasionally point this out when his health is low.
- Lampshade Hanging: All over the place. A particularly obvious example, in the release trailer the DM points out heroes can "Revive people by just kneeling next to them!"
- Large Ham: The DM. It's clear he's having the time of his life killing the heroes.
- Nintendo Hard: In the single player the difficulty levels start at hard and go up from there. In the DM mode, the DM almost always wins.
- Power Trio: The adventurers fill a large assortment of combinations of this, the most basic one being their Fighter, Mage, Thief play styles.
- Rocks Fall, Everyone Dies: There are a few cards that seem to exist solely for the DM to spite the players in such a way, such as summoning a circle of monsters around a given area, teleporting every monster in an area to a single point, and the DM physically punching other players.
- Shoot the Medic First: The mage can heal and revive allies with his potions, and either heal allies or make them invulnerable with his secondary attack. Guess who most player D Ms gun for first?
- Stone Wall: A fighter with the Tower perk can keep entire hordes of enemies occupied for his squishier teammates to dispatch with ease.
- Take That, Audience!: At the end of the launch trailer the DM points out the 4 packs of the game are a waste of time because "Where would they even find 3 friends!?"