Dragonslaying for generations to come.Dragon Valor
is an Action Adventure
game for Playstation
is a wielder of magic sword, who's job is to rid the world from dragons
. The game's main selling point was that there were several generations of these Dragon Valors, and the player's choices would lead to branching paths with different playable characters.
Examples in this video game:
- Always Chaotic Evil: The dragons, as they are the embodiment of evil in the world.
- Ancient Tomb: The Catacomb, the hiding place of 'Titan'.
- Animated Armor: The guardians of the magic swords.
- Antagonist Title: The chapters "The Renegade Knights", "Berserker", "The Evil Dragon" and "The Demonic Minister" are named after antagonists.
- Arranged Marriage: The real reason why Prince Felippe is visiting Jirat in "The Demonic Minister" chapter; he's there to check out his arranged fiancee, Princess Jeanne.
- Artistic License - Martial Arts: The jump kick -move is pretty much character floating towards the enemy foot-first.
- As Long as There Is Evil: Azi Dahaka's parting words is a reminder that as longs there are men, there is evil, and therefore dragons.
- Asteroids Monster: Roper enemies split into two smaller ones after their HP bar is depleted.
- Attack Its Weak Point: All dragons have certain part in their bodies which acts as a weak point.
- Avenging the Villain: Lodonya in "The Renegade Knights" chapter is the son of Black Knight Vofen from the first chapter, and seeks revenge on the family of Dragon Valors.
- BFS: Giant Knights are armed with swords as tall as themselves.
- Big Bad: The ancient dragon Azi Dahaka.
- The Big Guy: Franco of the West Raxis Liberation Army.
- Big "NO!": Robert's reaction when he hears that Kodel wants to marry his daughter.
- Breath Weapon: Most of the dragons breathe fire.
- Came from the Sky: Dragons came to the world with a meteor.
- Chainmail Bikini: Mystic Warriors. Who needs leg protection when you run a round in G-string?
- Charged Attack: Every playable character has one, which varies from a single powerful strike to a Spin Attack.
- Convection Schmonvection: Inevitable in a game with lava and fire-breathing dragons.
- Crate Expectations: Clusters of crates appear from time to time, which contain money and healing items.
- Dem Bones: The skeleton enemies.
- Disappeared Dad: Kodel's main motivation in the "Berserker" chapter is to find his father Clovis.
- Doomed Hometown: The game opens with Clovis's hometown burning down.
- Double Jump: Just press X twice.
- Dracolich: The undead Dragon 'Hades'.
- Dual Wielding: Executioner and Warrior enemies are armed with two hatchets.
- Everything's Better with Princesses: Clovis's second possible Love Interest in "Avenger" chapter is Celia, the princess of Raxis kingdom.
- Chapters four and five will always feature the female twin Princess Anna.
- Everything's Deader with Zombies: Zombies are one of the basic and easier enemies. They are slow, but can poison you.
- First Name Basis: Playable characters and their love intrests are all referred to by their first names.
- Karmic Thief: Kodel and his adopted son Gerome are both thieves stealing from thieves.
- The Kingdom: Raxis. Saving it is the point of first two chapters.
- Lethal Lava Land: Mt. Verea and Beneath the Volcano.
- Living Weapon: Demon Axes, wo try to jump on you blade-first when you approach them.
- Lizard Folk: The spear-wielding Lizardmen.
- Love Interest: At least one per chapter.
- Magic Knight:
- The Dragon Valors, thanks to the magic tomes they keep finding in their quests.
- One of the bosses in the game is called Magic Knight, a wizard with armour who pelts you with fire and ice spells.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Dragon 'Tiamat' has this instead of a Breath Weapon.
- Man on Fire: The unnamed Dragon Valor and Elena in the prologue burn to death right before Colovis's eyes.
- Mercy Invincibility: Given for both playable characters and enemies alike.
- Multiple Head Case: The two-headed dragon (Hellfire and Inferno) in the volcano.
- Nested Mouths: Dragon 'Talon' has two extra mouths, and its head hiding inside one.
- Noblewoman's Laugh: One of the artworks for the game show Fannah doing this.
- Our Centaurs Are Different: Female centaur archers are featured.
- Our Dragons Are Different: The game features classic looking dragons at first, then gets wierder with the likes of 'Talon' (a dragon with extra mouths) and dragon halflings (humans who were evil enough to become dragons).
- Our Orcs Are Different: The orc enemies exhibit "Tolkienian" traits; green skin, sharp teeth, and clubs as weapons.
- Pirate: "Berserker" chapter features pirates. Even the love interest is one.
- Poison Mushroom: And true to the name, the hurtful item is a mushroom.
- Power-Up: There's a magic potion that gives you unlimited MP for a short time.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: The dragon halflings.
- Religion of Evil: The cult of Dahaka.
- La Résistance: The West Raxis Liberation Army in the "The Renegade Knights" chapter.
- Revive Kills Zombie: The undead and some of the demonic enemies can be hurt with a level 2 healing spell or higher. In fact, this is the only way to kill the otherwise invincible ghosts.
- Shock and Awe: Dragon 'Thunder' attacks with thunderballs and electricity.
- Shockwave Stomp: The double-jump-crouch attack.
- Sliding Scale of Linearity vs. Openness: At first the game exhibits Level 2, as its progress is linear, but you can occasionally choose between two levels. However, the later chapters in the game are Level 1 linear.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: The Glacier.
- Smart Bomb: The Bomb -item kills every enemy in the room if picked up.
- Standard Female Grab Area: Despitre being a princess of a nation of warriors, clad in armour and having a sword in hand, Princess Jeanne is immediately incapacitated when Zomas grabs her.
- Sword Lines: Every playable character has sword lines based on their color scheme.
- Take Up My Sword: Clovis becomes a Dragon Valor as the previous one dies on his feet, urging to take his sword.
- Terrible Trio: The dragon halflings.
- Voice Grunting: Only noises that the characters make are grunts and yells during fighting.
- Winged Humanoid: The dragon halflings.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Aside from the occasional redhead, the female characters have some unusual hair.