Don't Look Back
is a short Freeware Indie Game
by Terry Cavanagh
which reimagines the story of Orpheus descending into the underworld to rescue Eurydice as a Platform Game
This game provides examples of:
- Convection Schmonvection: A few screens have the protagonist jumping from pillar to pillar over a lake of lava.
- Death Is a Slap on the Wrist: Any time you lose, you simply go back to the start of the same screen.
- Don't Look Back: After picking up Eurydice, facing to the right for any reason will cause Orpheus to look at Eurydice, who then evaporates with an inrushing-breath sound (forcing you to restart the screen).
- Grave Clouds: The game starts in the dark in the rain, by the grave.
- Lethal Lava Land: You spend several screens passing through one of these; it even includes bouncing lava balls to dodge.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: The player character dies upon being hit by anything.
- Orphean Rescue: Inspired by the original, although this Orpheus uses platforming and a gun instead of music.
- Silence Is Golden: The only text (much less dialogue) is the instructions telling you how to control your character.
- Stalactite Spite: In the caves.