Yes, you do get to pilot that mecha.Dogyuun
is an arcade Shoot 'em Up
made by Toaplan
The plot is somewhat vague, except that it involves two pilots destroying aliens after an alien mecha kills the reconnaissance ship leading them.
One interesting feature of the game is the ability in Co-Op Multiplayer
for player 1 to combine
with player 2, producing a larger ship with better firepower. The game also features loads of homing lasers and large bosses. It was also the first game to feature the astounding graphical designs of Junya Inoue
This game displays the following tropes:
- A.I. Breaker: The easiest way to beat the scorpion boss is to have the red weapon, destroy one of its claws, that stay in the top corner on the same side as the destroyed claw. None of his attacks will be able to get you, and your red homing laser should be able to damage him.
- Attack Its Weak Point: The second boss can only be damaged when it opens its chest to charge and fire out a Wave Motion Gun.
- Bat out of Hell: You face several bat mechas in stage 6.
- Beam-O-War: If you have the blue weapon, you can try to counter the second boss' Wave Motion Gun with yours. You'll probably lose, though, as he fires two while you only fire one.
- Chain Reaction Destruction: Bosses die in this manner.
- Combining Mecha: Player 1 can combine with player 2, forming a larger plane with stronger firepower.
- Cool Bike: One of the enemies in stage 7 is a mech on a motorbike.
- Corridor Cubbyhole Run: Stage 5's boss. He sends these shield things◊ that block your shots- do NOT destroy these quickly, as he'll send down a massive wave of energy that will be blocked by them◊.
- Direct Continuous Levels: Present for each level. One neat feature of the game is that you actually fight some of the previous stage's enemies at the start of the next stage.
- Disc One Final Boss: Subverted with the golden robot which kills your friend in the intro, and escapes in stage 1. Although it does look like a Big Bad or The Dragon, is golden in colour, and is the prime reason why you're fighting, it's only the second boss out of 10 stages.
- Endless Game
- Fake Ultimate Mook: The first Mini-Boss. You fight this huge thing right after the first wave of Mooks, but it goes down very quickly.
- Feathered Fiend: The Mini-Boss of stage 4 is a giant robot eagle that can extend its talons to crush you.
- Flash of Pain
- Giant Spider: A Giant Mook faced in stage 8.
- High Speed Battle: The start of Stage 3 is like this.
- Homing Laser: The purple and the red weapon do this.
- Hover Board: The first Mini-Boss of stage 7 rides a large one.
- Humongous Mecha: Many of your foes are these. You get to pilot an invincible one at the start of the final stage. And it is awesome.
- Macross Missile Massacre: One of the minibosses does this to you.
- Mini-Boss: At least one per level.
- Nintendo Hard
- Ninja Pirate Zombie Robot: The boss of stage 8 is a zombie robot thing.
- Nitro Boost/Overdrive: The blue attachment allows the player to move quickly by holding down the second button. There is no drawback to this other than making you more prone to colliding with enemy fire.
- No Plot? No Problem!
- Numerical Hard: Enemies get more health every time you complete a loop. They do give out more points, however.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder
- One-Man Army
- Power at a Price: Combining player 1 and 2 is cool and increases your firepower, but if you are hit, both players lose a life!
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: Third boss throws these at you.
- Roaring Rampage of Revenge: Your characters presumably do this after the gold mecha kills their friend.
- Rocket Punch: The minibosses of stage 5 attempt this on you.
- Segmented Serpent: You fight one in Stage 8.
- Shows Damage: Electrical currents starts appearing on bosses as their health gets low.
- Smart Bomb: The pink attachment allows the player to use one.
- Spread Shot: The green lightning gun. Many of your foes will use this too.
- Scary Scorpions: The fourth level features many scorpion mechs, the boss is a gigantic one.
- Tank Goodness: The first boss. You also fight several tank-based enemies in the game.
- Techno Wreckage: Stage 8.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: At the start of stage 10, you get to pilot a Humongous Mecha via powerup. More lenient tham most examples, though, as the mecha is invulnerable and cannot be destroyed.
- Wave Motion Gun: The Blue weapon. You start out with this. Stage 2's boss and stage 3's boss also use this on you. Stage 5's boss uses one so massive, you have to hide behind one of his shielder drones to avoid it!