Video Game: Digimon World Re:Digitize
Digimon World Re:Digitize
is a 2012 re-envisioning of Digimon
on the PlayStation Portable
that was released last July 2012. In the game, “Digimon” is a popular online game
where you raise monsters and battle them. The main character is a fan of the game. One day, he logs into the game as usual when he gets an unusual email with some code in it. After decrypting it, he’s sucked into the Digital World, where Digimon are real
. He, with his partner, explores the Digital World, trying to find out why he was sucked in in the first place. Digimon can die
, they poop
, and evolve
It was ported to the 3DS in June 2013 under the title Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode
- Ascended Fanboys and girl: Taiga, Niko, and Akiho
- Continuing Is Painful: After your Digimon dies, you've got to raise a new one from the ground up - so there will be lot's of forced training and time spent just to regain your former power, even though this burden is lessed the more you improve the city by recruiting wild Digimon.
- Disappeared Dad: Yakov Petorofu, Niko's father
- Expy: The artist for the game is the same one from Shin Megami Tensei Devil Survivor, so the main character and the supporting female character look identical to Devil Survivor's protagonist and Yuzu, respectively.
- Final Death: Like in the original Digimon World, Digimon will die after losing to wild Digimon 3 times, but losing as well as making care mistakes shortens their lifespan - and when the Digimon's lifespan inevitably ends, it is gone from the single player game, reduced to either a powerfull attack (Digimemory) or some some sort of reincarnation. You can still use him for multiplayer, though.
- Green Eyed Red Head: Rina inverts the trope completely, having red eyes and green hair, in addition to being a Sixth Ranger.
- Hello, Insert Name Here: Though The Protagonist's default name is "Taiga", there is an option to change it.
- Mega Corp.: GIGO
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: As with any other major series in the Digimon franchise, Taiga is red to Niko's blue. This is demonstrated in the prequel Manga note . When confronted by a battle request from the "Nyanko Tamer", the number one ranked tamer at the time, whereas Niko is hesistant to accept the challenge, Taiga chooses to take the challenge head on.
- Special Guest: A selection of former Digimon heroes appear in the game as "Legendary tamers", including Taichi, Yamato, Sora, and Takato. Two other non-Digimon guest characters include Lili de Rochefort and Sebastian
- Spiritual Successor: To the very first and original Digimon World game for the PlayStation, down to how every aspect of the game plays, with the biggest change being simply the addition of the Mega/Ultimate level and the new story and characters.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: The wild digimon are dying to fight against you, so regardless of how overpowered you digimon is, they will chase you down on sight.
- Video Game Caring Potential: Caring for your digimon by taking care of it's needs like food, injuries, bathroom breaks, training (especially if you help it out directly), rest and others will extend his life and increase his happiness, and you can even praise him - although if you praise him too much he will don the shades and find itself too cool for someone like you to tell it what to do. You can also apply some though love and scold him, to the point where he becomes a disciplined nerd - for his own good, of course.
- Video Game Cruelty Potential: Many players may not like the digimon they got, or even have a clue of what they are doing, so they end up mistreating their digimon. And the digimon won't ever fight back, at most they'll be disobedient - so the player can feed them dangerous steroids or even just outwright starve them, make them wallow in their own filth, run them down worse than in Full Metal Jacket while injured, deprive them of sleep, drag them into battles just so they get beaten to death ... and this applies to any digimon, even to those who are mere in-training babies!
- Video Game Cruelty Punishment: Only a very light one - you need your partner Digimon to advance through the plot, and since they won't last if mistreated cruel players will advance very slowly or in the most extreme cases, not at all.
- Eleventh Hour Ranger: Shinomiya Rina also counts as Sixth Ranger
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Taiga's partner is Agumon, which can branch out into many Dragon Digivolutions, and Rina has Veemon
- Hot Librarian: Mirei.