Digimon Adventure 02: D-1 Tamers
is a WonderSwan
Color game based on the Digimon
franchise. It's the third title in a miniseries of Digimon
games for the console following Ryo Akiyama, and it's the one which gets to the point: how he dimension-hopped out of Digimon Adventure
into Digimon Tamers
Shortly after the previous game
, Ryo is visiting Ken during his illness. Ken prompts him to check his computer, which contains a strange quiz. After completing it, Ryo is dragged back into the Digital World, where he's informed that three of the Four Holy Beasts
have turned evil and the fourth requires the help of a suitable Tamer to challenge its former comrades. To that end, it established the D-1 Tournament, a challenge pitting Chosen Children and Tamers against each other to determine who is able to assist the Holy Beast in battle. Ryo participates, but little does he know what truly waits at its end
Gameplay is similar to its predecessor, but with some tweaks: combat is now turn-based three-on-three matches, with Jogress evolution being required to obtain strong Digimon.
- All There in the Manual: The third part of Ryo's story; this is the part which covers his actual act of canon immigration. It also ties into his massive demeanor shift between his appearances in the first two games and in Tamers.
- Chick Magnet: There has to be a reason why Mimi invited Ryo on a date after the tournament.
- Child Soldier: Ryo is treated like this by the Chosen Children and the Four Holy Beasts.
- Earth-Shattering Kaboom: Strong enough to kick both Ryo and Millenniummon out of this dimension.
- Heroic BSOD: This is how Ryo takes his treatment from the Holy Beasts.
- Hijacked by Ganon: Though really, given the whole game series is about fighting Millenniummon, this is hardly a surprise or a spoiler.
- Interface Spoiler: Whichever Holy beast is said to be corrupt is just defined by the answers you give in a questionnaire at the start of the game, tipping off the player that maybe there's something else behind the plot...
- OOC Is Serious Business: See Child Soldier and Sadistic Choice. The fact that the Chosen Children went along with the plot to put Ryo through serious Training from Hell can only be justified as a testament to just how outrageously powerful Millenniummon was.
- Sadistic Choice: Ryo has to choose to sacrifice one of the Digimon that helped him take on the tournament.
- Sequel Hook
- Taking You with Me: Millenniummon, to Ryo.