is a game about the titular detective, solving the mystery of a murdered janitor at a circus and in the second game, a murder at a swamp.
- British Coppers: Officer James, and he also is the only cop around most of the time. The game is probably set in the UK.
- Creepy Child: The girl Grimoire meets at the entrance to both crimescenes and the 2nd person he meets after James in both cases. She gives you the map and her reapearance means you can access the another part of the map, given the fact that she's a little girl at a murder scene, she's definitely creepy.
- Dead Pan Snarker: Grimoire himself, to Phoenix-worthy levels. Also Officer James, to a certain extent. And about anyone will gain this trait once they start mentioning Grimoire's hat.
- Expy: The main character looks like Gumshoe, the developers even note that they explicitly based Grimoire after him.
- Killed Off for Real: The murder victims, naturally.
- Monster Clown: The game drops some pretty broad hints that the clown was the murderer. He wasn't.
- Nice Hat: A Running Gag is pointing out the aversion of the detective having a nice hat. He apparently has one in the sequel, before shortly losing the hat.
- Running Gag: The hat, whether absent or not.
- "Your moustache is troubling me. That thing seems to be longer every time I see you."
- Shout-Out: Detective Grimoire makes a snarky remark about the guy with the top hat.
- Stealth Hi/Bye: The girl seems to vanish without a trace in both games.
- Where The Hell Is Springfield?: The events of the two games take place either in Britain or in the US. Officer James wears a British uniform and talks in an English dialect, the toilet is labelled "W.C."note , and the price signs of the first game's fair all carry '£' symbols. Yet, Grimoire speaks in a (fake) American accent in the second game, as does half of the cast. It helps that the game was made in England.