Video Game: Dark Waters
Dark Waters is a Game Mod for Neverwinter Nights 2 created by Adam Miller, also known as the mastermind behind the Shadowlords arc. It contains a new and extensive campaign.It also features new scripting, including a psychic power system, a nautical navigation and combat screen, and a rudimentary version of Guitar Hero built with the conversation engine.The plot begins with the player character and his/her two best friends, Daniel and Heather, as carefree teenagers on the island of Highcastle. Another boy from the village, Robert, manages to open up the ancient citadel that lurks beneath the surface of the island, and things start to get a little odd as the four begin to awaken past mysteries.
Tropes featured in this work include:
- Crazy Cat Lady: A younger variant than the traditional one. The player can get in on the action as well if you so choose.
- Deadpan Snarker: Daniel develops into one as a coping mechanism.
- Erotic Dream: Due to the influence of Conley's memories the player character starts having these about Heather.
- Five-Man Band: The past Gifted, with Conley as the Hero, Sheridan as the Lancer and the Big Guy, Jeffrey as the Smart Guy, and Kendra as the Smart Guy and the Chick.
- Medium Awareness: Some of the player character's lines imply a familiarity with RPG plots in general and a sense of the fact that he/she's in one right now.
- Pirates: Lots of them. You can become one if you so choose.
- Pen-Pushing President: Death is portrayed as a long-suffering bureaucrat who forgives your in-game deaths because he's too busy to process you into the afterlife.
- Power Trio: The three main characters, of course.
- Rhythm Game: The Lute Hero system.
- Rock Me, Asmodeus!: Death gives the hero a lute and gets you started on your quest to travel through the afterlives using the Power of Rock.
- She Is All Grown Up: Depending on the player character's gender, Daniel has this reaction to either Heather or the player character.
- Treasure Map: You can find some. Sometimes they even lead to useful things.