Dark Orbit is a online 2d MMORPG set in space
. Various types of NPC aliens and players can be killed to obtain two different types of currency, which can then be spent on upgrades to your ship.
This game provides examples of:
- Aliens Are Bastards / Always Chaotic Evil - None of the alien races are ever given sympathy, or even any backstory besides "they're Always Chaotic Evil and messing with our mining ops, kill them!"
- Subverted in the case of the Kristallon and Streuners. Streuners will ignore the player unless attacked, while the lore for the Kristallon Emperor reveals that the Kristallon were originally indifferent to humans until they started destroying them for the Uridium they drop.
- Attack Drone - a key component of upgrading your firepower (or defenses; they can also carry shields). All serious players have a swarm.
- The Battlestar - A few powerful NPC's.
- Bribing Your Way to Victory - Spending real money allows you to purchase the premium currency Uridium, necessary for most non-basic upgrades (but also available through gameplay).
- Corporate Warfare: See "Excuse Plot" below
- Critical Existence Failure - Your ship either blows up or is fully functional, even when getting hit with no shields.
- Deflector Shields
- Evolutionary Retcon - Most enemies and some ships have gotten this at some point, some repeatedly.
- Excuse Plot - Humanity has left Earth and colonized the stars, but needs resources. Three mining companies have formed. They can't get along. Here's your ship. Join one of the companies and kill everybody not in it, as well as those pesky Always Chaotic Evil aliens trying to stop our mining.
- Flying Saucer - A couple of different aliens have aspects of this, most notably the Mordons and Devolariums.
- Frickin' Laser Beams - Your ship's main method of attack.
- Homing Projectile - Hellstorm and Regular rockets.
- Low-Level Advantage - Players too powerful get reduced rewards in the first, completely Pv P-safe map.
- Money Grinding - The main way to upgrade your ship, which increases your capabilities.
- Macross Missile Massacre - Downplayed. The Hellstorm Launcher lets you launch 5 (3 with the seldom-used weaker version) missiles at a time, from a spaceship that can normally only launch one at a time.
- Player Versus Environment - Killing aliens for fun and profit. Mostly profit.
- Player Versus Player - A large part of the game, and almost unrestricted. Can be very frustrating when the other guy is powerful enough to kill you in a few hits - AND faster than you. AND you want nothing to do with them.
- Recycled In Space - Fairly standard RPG with a space skin instead of a fantasy one.
- Regenerating Shield, Static Health - You can, however, fairly easily repair yourself with a repair bot.
- Roboteching - Hellstorm missiles do this, regular rockets don't.
- Space Does Not Work That Way
- Stance System - you can have two different equipment configurations for your ship, and can switch them every five seconds.
- Tim Taylor Technology - Supposedly, cramming more power into the cells for your laser weapons multiplies their damage, rather than, say, overloading and/or burning them out.
- Too Awesome to Use - Certain insanely powerful ammunition is also incredibly expensive. Also enforced by having some forms of ammunition only available at certain times in the shop.