Video Game / Dark Escape 4D
Dark Escape 4D
is a 2012 mounted light gun game from Bandai Namco Entertainment
You play as a nameless character who awakens in a dark, dank dilapitated setting. The only other person with you is a girl who likewise has no idea what's going on. A video monitor reveals a man in a face mask who wishes to have a little experiment with the two of you, challenging both to escape from his little game if they can armed with a small supply of weaponry provided. However standing in between you and freedom is a army of mutated creatures and traps that will ensure the two of you don't make it out alive.
As the title states, the games goes all out to immerse you in the adventure. Not only does it support 3D glasses (though there is an option to switch to 2D) and a fully surround sound system. The game also includes seat vibrations and air fans to help with the jump scares and a heart monitor on the triggers which gauges your reactions as you blast the monsters.
Here's a trailer
As well as a playthrough
(on the Japanese version).
This game provides examples of the following tropes:
- Action Survivors: Depending on how well you do in the last fight, you and the girl can actually escape.
- And Then John Was a Zombie: The girl in the bad ending.
- Attack Its Weak Point: On a few of the tougher enemies as well as bosses. Headshots are also the quickest way to kill the zombies.
- Boom, Headshot: The fastest way to kill the zombies. Shooting them anywhere else will just slow them down before they keel over. But that just gives time for other zombies to attack you.
- Bottomless Magazines: Like some rail-shooters, you don't have to reload your gun.
- The Computer Is a Cheating Bastard: The game often time ignores the fact you drew a bead on the nearest zombie first and have them hit you long after you've riddled it with bullets.
- Game-Over Man: The scientist who threw you in this predicament will mockingly encourage you to continue during the countdown, and lament with insincere exaggeration how your game is over if you don't put in another coin.
- Eldritch Abomination: You'll be facing plenty of these. ESPECIALLY the final boss.
- Evil Is Petty: Turns out the scientist did one this on a whim of a bet with another military looking fellow to see if you'd survive or not.
- Evil Laugh: Just before the final battle, when the scientist sends his last monstrosity at you. He gives a very chilling one that continues to echo even after the girl has shot the computer monitor.
- Featureless Protagonist: We have no idea of who the Player Character is, neither gender, name, appearance or even any speaking roles.
- Jump Scare: A very main gimmick of the game as monsters and traps pop out of nowhere. What's more, the game is monitoring this as well.
- Karma Houdini: The scientist, by the time you've reached his location, is long gone. All of his video encounters were pre-recorded messages.
- Light Gun Game: Mounted gun version.
- Mad Scientist: The man who put you in this predicament in the first place.
- Multiple Endings: Depends on if you can protect the girl from the spores shot out by the final boss. Shooting the security cameras scattered throughout the game will make this easier.
- No Name Given: The protagonist is never named. At the end of the game, your female companion will tell you her name is Courtney Wall.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Seems spore created in this case.
- Plucky Girl: The girl is determined to escape the hell the scientist had put her and you through, and puts up one hell of a fight as the game progresses. How you fare in the final boss fight determines whether she makes it out or not.
- Rail Shooter
- Real Time Weapon Change: Certain chapters will automatically alternate between your usual machinegun, a magnum revolver, or a grenade launcher.
- The Reveal: The whole ordeal turns out to be a military test for biological weapons with you and the girl as the lucky guinea pigs. What's more it was founded on bet if you would get out alive or not.
- Silent Protagonist: You.
- Win to Exit: The predicament you and the girl find yourself in.