A new age of law begins *
A spin-off of the Ace Attorney
series of games (full title "Dai Gyakuten Saiban: Naruhodou Ryuunosuke no Bouken
"; lit. "The Great Turnabout Trial: The Adventure of Ryuunosuke Naruhodou") starring the Meiji-era Japan version of a defense attorney, Ryuunosuke Naruhodou, ancestor of Ryuichi Naruhodou/Phoenix Wright. The main writer is Shu Takumi instead of Takeshi Yamazaki, whose team is working on another Ace Attorney
title at the same time. Date to be announced for 3DS.
You can watch the original teaser trailer here
and the Tokyo Game Show 2014 trailer here
(both trailers contain English fan translations).
This work provides examples of:
- Child Prodigy: Iris Watson is 8 years old...but still brings over the original Watson's medical doctorate, and since John Watson wasn't a Child Prodigy, this is also an Age Lift.
- Expy: Ryuunosuke Naruhodou looks like a mix of Phoenix and Apollo, might be on purpose though. With his hat on, he also bears a striking resemblance to Clay Terran◊.
- Gender Flip: John Watson is a girl named Iris Watson in this game.
- Girlish Pigtails: Iris Watson has her hair braided into two curly pigtails with heart-shaped knots at the end.
- Identical Grandson:
- Series regulars would get no points for being able to guess who this fine gentleman◊ would be related to in the modern era.
- And, of course, Ryuunosuke basically looks like Phoenix but with a more sensible haircut (and de-aged by about five years or so).
- Kid Sidekick: Iris Watson to the great detective himself.
- Literary Agent Hypothesis: Iris Watson is apparently the author of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes in this universe.
- A Protagonist Is Ryu: Ryuunosuke Naruhodou (which makes sense since they're trying to draw a line between this guy and Phoenix, whose Japanese name is "Ryuuichi Naruhodou").
- Public Domain Character: Sherlock Holmes appears in the game, along with a gender-flipped, age-lifted Watson.
- Recycled In SPACE: It's Ace Attorney during Meiji Era Japan, in the first case, before becoming Ace Attorney in Victorian London.
- Sherlock Scan: Holmes retains his nigh-supernatural deductive abilities, but in an added twist, he seems less than concerned about whether what he deduces is actually true. It falls to Naruhodou to consider the evidence and decide whether his deductions hold weight.
- Spiritual Successor: To Professor Layton Vs Ace Attorney, in that the game again features a defense attorney and his female assistant going to England and teaming up with an English gentleman and his young assistant.
- Token Mini-Moe: Iris Watson.
- Unexpected Character: Who would have guessed that Sherlock Holmes would appear in an Ace Attorney spinoff?
- Yamato Nadeshiko: Susato Mikotoba, the assistant to Ryuunosuke, is a very clear-looking example of this. She's described as an ideal Japanese woman from the time period with a progressive way of thinking.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Iris Watson's hair is a strawberry shade of pink.