'"I NEVER DESIRED WEALTH OR STATUS. ONLY EXISTENCE."''Covetous is an indie Surreal Horror game. You play as some kind of parasitic creature (probably a fetus) living inside of your brother's body and eating him from the inside. You gradually get bigger and bigger the more you consume, and with each level of size growth you get creepy messages telling the story of the parasite. At the very end, you are big enough to burst out of your brother, killing him in the process. You can choose either to break out of your brother's body and live instead of him, or you can choose to give up and die, allowing your brother to live on.It's full of Nightmare Fuel and manages to be pretty creepy despite, or maybe even because of, its poor 8-bit graphics. It focuses little on actual gameplay (you just use the arrow keys to move and eat) and more on the story and theme of the game.The game can be played on Newgrounds here.
— The Protagonist
This game provides examples of:
- Alas, Poor Villain: You feel bad for the fetus, since all that it wanted was to simply live.
- Angrish: In one text screen, instead of a usually coherent message, it says, "FUCKAND EAT YOU CUNT SHITPIG/".
- Body and Host: The brother and fetus, respectively.
- Body Horror
- Cain and Abel: You can become this trope if you choose to live for yourself and let your brother die.
- Chest Burster: The Good Ending.
- Eaten Alive: The brother.
- Evil Twin: The fetus.
- Green-Eyed Monster: You can become this is you choose life for yourself instead of your brother. "O, existence, let me be known."
- Heroic Sacrifice: You can choose to die so that your brother can live. "In the end, I couldn't do it. I couldn't put myself to steal from another what was once stolen from me."
- Horror Hunger: The protagonist must eat parts of his brother to survive.
- Humanoid Abomination: The player falls under this trope.
- I'm a Humanitarian: You appear to be eating your brother's insides.
- Surreal Horror
- Truth in Television: Frighteningly enough, there is actually a developmental abnormality called Fetus in fetu in which a fetus can become trapped inside of its twin and lives inside of the twin parasitically. This seems to be what the game is based on.
- Two Siblings In One: Which is pretty unfortunate for both of them.