TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Video Game: Counter Strike Online
2008, I am BACK!
— Counter-Strike Online announcement trailer.
The most popular online FPS
in the world, now a MMO!Counter-Strike Online
is a MMOFPS targeted towards Asia's gaming market. It is developed by Nexon Corporation of South Korea with oversight from license-holder Valve Corporation, essentially modified Counter-Strike
v1.6 with bits and pieces assets from Counter-Strike: Condition Zero.
It uses a micropayment model that is managed by a custom version of the Steam back-end.
The game is currently released in various Asian countries: South Korea, Japan, Republic of China, Taiwan, Singapore/Malaysia, Indonesia and more recently, Thailand. Aside from the same-old-same-old look of Counter-Strike 1.6 with bits and pieces of Condition Zero, Online naturally provides more original content for the game, new weapons, player models, game modes and much, much more. Some game modes are based on custom mods for the original Counter-Strike, such as Zombie Mode, Zombie Scenario Mode, Gun Deathmatch, etc.
A sequel to Counter-Strike Online
, simply titled as Counter-Strike Online 2
, is slated for a 2012 release, currently under closed beta.
Includes examples of:
- A.K.A.-47 - Zig-zagged. Korean, Japanese and Taiwan versions, straight up calls them by their original name (i.e: AWP), but Malaysian/Singapore and Indonesian versions calls it by Condition Zero titles to ease up the localization work (i.e: Magnum Sniper Rifle). Some names are consistent between all regions, like calling the Desert Eagle as the Nighthawk .50c or the Barrett M95 as-is.
- Allegedly Free Game - You should see this coming, since it's a MMO. It's a blessing that cash point items (weapons, model skins etc.) may be sold with a permanent status, which sits in your inventory forever.
- Announcer Chatter - In tradition with the custom mods of the original, Nexon provides their own announcer chatter for both CSO and the upcoming sequel.
- Armor Is Useless - You can buy a helmet, vest, or both. They barely lessen the damage taken - they're the difference between five bullets killing you and four bullets killing you. Realistically, though, the armor is more effective against sub-machine guns and pistols (except the Deagle) than against heavier arms and also protects well against grenades. In Zombie Scenario Mode, they are effective in lessening the damage you get from the melee-ing zombies. Played straight in Human Scenario Mode, since they doesn't seem to affect the amount of hits you can take before your screen turns completely red.
- Bowdlerize - The Republic of China version is noticeably guilty for this, changing the color of blood into green. It doesn't stop there, due to the rather gruesome look of the Regular Zombie, they are replaced with the models of the Psycho Zombie which in other releases pop smoke. The proper smoke-popping Psycho Zombies are Palette Swap. The blood-drenched gown of the host Light Zombies are cleaned.
- If you are playing with a juvenile Nexon account for South Korea, blood is censored and painted yellow, while the red blood in the screen for Human Scenario Mode turns dusty.
- Country Switch - Non-asia of this game is called Counter-Strike Nexon: Zombies
- Gatling Good - There are three man-portable M134 available in Counter-Strike Online, the regular M134, Christmas Edition, and the Predator edition, the latter obtained by getting enough kills with the regular/Christmas M134s during an event, enabling the barrels to be spooled with the hold of the right mouse button.
- Guns Akimbo - The Dual Beretta Elites are no longer the only dual-wield weapon in Counter-Strike Online. There's now Dual Infinity series (a pair of SVI Infinity with three levels of upgrades), Dual Kriss Super V, Dual Skull-3 (Basically anti-zombie, souped up UMPs) Dual MP7A1 and Dual Nighthawks.
- Leeroy Jenkins - Just go on the online games. No one works together, unless they're in clans.
- Lethal Joke Weapon - The C-Box exclusive Lightning Series weapons lives in this trope. Let's see, a guitar gun, a violin, two water guns, an umbrella shotgun and a lot more. There's even a currently released (purchasable) weapon which makes you hold a super-deformed, fat heavy zombie that literally farts at whoever you point and shoot.
- Money Spider - The zombies in Zombie Scenario drops chests with various treasures inside. Troops in Human Scenario Mode gives you spoils randomly.
- No Export for You - Averted since this game also release for non-Asian, only different title name.
- The in-game content kind of suffers from this as well. Want to see Jiang Shi zombie model hopping outside of China and Taiwan versions? Fat chance. Crazyracing Kartrider weapon set? You won't be seeing them if you live outside of Taiwan, China, Korea and Japan.
- Somewhat subverted with the QBZ-95C assault rifle, which is originally released for China and Taiwan. With the great effort on the Game Masters of Singapore/Malaysia region, the rifle is released for the game for free, with 10 hours of gameplay during an event is required to obtain it. Doubles as Lost Forever since the event most likely will not reappear again.
- Palette Swap - Some weapons suffer from this. Christmas version, Red versions, Gold versions, etc.
- Zombies in Zombie Scenario Mode also does this, and they are slightly different depending on the color. Dark orange, green, black, and so on and so forth.
- Ditto that with the map dm_gallery and dm_kart.
- Qurac - de_dust and de_dust2, with their two variants, and the Human Scenario map, Desert Storm.
- Random Number God - The game's daily roulette, bingo, C-Box (lucky prize box), crafting and weapon enhancement is mostly heavy with this. The C-Box feature needs to be decoded with keys bought with cash points (i.e real money) and if you're lucky, you'd get a gold-plated weapons, exclusive reskins, rare weapons or previously-released permanent weapon. The gold weapons and reskins are not entirely useless since some of them are better than the original in spades, such as being lighter, hits harder or having more ammo.
- Regenerating Health - Only in Human Scenario Mode.
- Right-Handed Left-Handed Guns - Again, zig-zagged. Certain weapons are made to mirror correctly, some doesn't.
- Sawed-Off Shotgun - Comes in two flavors, Double Barrel and the Quadbarrel.
- Shoutout - The map dm_kart and the Kartrider weapon set are a clear shout-out to Nexon's racing game, Crazyracing Kartrider.
- Standard FPS Guns
- Sticks to the Back - Non-gun example in the game: the Heavy Zombie's butcher knife sticks to the back when holding the zombie grenade, while the Stamper have an iron maiden on his back.
- Played straight in Counter-Strike Online 2, however.
- Super Senses - Hearing, specifically. Not just in competitive modes, improved hearing in Zombie Modes would probably save your life, if not being a Paranoia Fuel for loners.
- Terrorists Without a Cause - The terrorists don't really have a mission in the normal game. Their backgrounds pose them as anti-government, anti-Western fanatics.
- Averted in Condition Zero: Deleted Scenes. Some of the terrorists who are present in multiplayer actually have goals and causes (not all of them are present, though).
- Throw Away Guns - A sometimes effective strategy, both offensively (for Leeroy Jenkinses) and defensively (No time to reload because the enemy is rushing you? Throw away your gun and grab a dead guy's gun!).
- Western Terrorists - Militia, Arctic Avengers and Phoenix Connexion, from The US, Sweden(!) and former Soviet Union respectively, and then joined by the Vigilante Corps and the National Liberation Campaign, which are based off the IRA and ETA respectively.
- Zombie Apocalypse - As a nod to the mod of the original Counter-Strike, Counter-Strike Online is blessed with three types of Zombie Apocalypse game modes, Zombie Mode, Zombie Scenario Mode and Zombie Escape. Zombie Mode is basically Infection while Zombie Scenario Mode is NOTD/Zombie Riot with several changes. Zombie Escape originates from a mode of the same name from Counter-Strike Source.