Video Game / Cogmind
Cogmind is a roguelike
sci-fi game in which you control a robot that can repair and reconfigure itself by picking up pieces of fallen enemies. Your goal is to escape to the surface, a task made difficult thanks to numerous guards and an AI that allocates more aggressive guards when you're perceived to be a greater threat. Major features include:
Cogmind contains examples of
- AI is a crapshoot and is your main adversary.
- Anti-Frustration Features: If you run out of matter and need to use it to equip a weapon, you can ram into other robots to have small amount of matter drop. This risks damaging yourself though.
- Anti-Grinding: You don't gain experience from killing enemy robots. If you linger on the later levels for too long, extermination squads will spawn and your alert level will rise, leading to increasingly aggressive assault squads.
- Breakable Weapons: All weapons and armor have a durability stat and break when it goes to 0.
- Brutal Bonus Level: The branches off of the final level
- Demonic Spiders: Hunters can shoot from further away than your base sight, can shoot through walls, are hard to track, use components helping them to evade projectiles, use flying drones to find you if you run away, and resist a damage type that most other hostile robots don't resist.
- Dungeon Maintenance: Robots arrive to repair walls and clean up wreckage.
- Goddamned Bats: Swarmers are hard to hit and are 3 times as fast as a player with legs.
- Heart Drive: Your core, which comes with a weak engine and weak hover propulsion.
- Mechanical Lifeforms: Some robots pursue their own goals and defect from the main AI.
- Mooks Ate My Equipment: Recyclers take equipment you're about to loot and put it in the recycling machines.
- Spread Shot: Flak cannons and multirails.
- Stray Shots Strike Nothing: Averted. Stray shots that hit reactors can result in large explosions. If they hit an engineer or conveyor, reinforcement squads may get called in. This is a gameplay mechanic that frequently increases the danger in the area.
- Unknown Item Identification: Mostly done by wearing the item, though using faulty unknown items can damage your other equipment
- Upgrade Artifacts: Certain items found in side branches
- Video Game Cruelty Punishment: As you kill unarmed AI-controlled robots, your alert level rises.