The third Castlevania
game for Game Boy
, released in 1997. You play as Sonia Belmont in the year 1450
, years before the events of all the previous games at that point. In this game, Dracula is terrorizing Transylvania for the first time and Sonia, who has been trained in vampire hunting from a young age, takes up the Vampire Killer whip and sets out to defeat him.
Koji "IGA" Igarashi removed this game from canon
when he became producer of the series. His reason for doing this is debated among fans. Instead, the canon Origins Episode
of the series became Castlevania: Lament of Innocence
, which was set even earlier.
Castlevania Legends provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Sonia, the sole playable female Belmont. Also the sole female lead in the series until Shanoa in Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia a decade later. She would have also appeared in Castlevania Resurrection for the Sega Dreamcast, had it not been cancelled.
- All There in the Manual: Sonia was born with mysterious powers around the same time that Dracula first arose as the prince of darkness, and was trained by her grandfather. The game takes place when she's 17.
- Babies Ever After: The best ending reveals that she is pregnant, and her child will continue the Belmont legacy. That would be Trevor, of course.
- Bonus Boss: The Executioner.
- Chest Monster: There are some candles that hide monsters in them.
- Fighting Your Friend: Dracula's estranged son Alucard features as a stage boss in his third appearance in the series. Apparently he and Sonia are close (leading to Wild Mass Guessing about the paternity of her child) and he shows up to dissuade her from fighting his father since he's going to do that himself. Sonia doesn't back down, so they end up fighting each other. After he's defeated, he leaves to hibernate until he's awakened in Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse.
- Magic Knight: Sonia uses magic in battle while wielding the tried and true whip.
- Multiple Endings: There are two different endings, a short, standard one, and an extended one that is seen by obtaining all five secret items in the game before finishing it.
- Secret Level: The dungeon area, which can be found by whipping a certain candle in Stage 5 to open a secret passage.
- Shout-Out: Sonia is visually similar to Doris from Vampire Hunter D, a blonde woman who uses a whip and allies with the eponymous D, who is a half-vampire like Alucard. Vampire Hunter D actually predates the Castlevania series.