BoxBoy! is a trilogy of Puzzle Platformer games created for the Nintendo 3DS by HAL Laboratory.The games follow Qbby, a square-shaped alien being with the power to create boxes out of his body, on a quest to save his friends and the universe from a mysterious black mist that has been corroding planets. Games in the series include:
- BoxBoy! (2015)
- BoxBoxBoy!note (2016)
- Bye-Bye BoxBoy!note (2017)
This game contains the following tropes:
- Deliberately Monochrome: Most of the game's world is black and white, with occasional colors now and then.
- Disney Death: The final game ends with Qbby and his friends seemingly sacrificing their lives to save the universe. If you wait long enough on the "The End" card, you'll see Qbby slowly open his eyes.
- Expy: The black mist functions similarly to Dark Matter from the Kirby series. It destroys anything it comes in contact with, and the third game reveals there's a whole planet of it, which repels Qbby's attempted landing at first.
- Heroic Sacrifice: The first game ends with Qbby and Qucy becoming part of the ground in order to fuel a machine to save their planet, with a new Qbby being born later.
- The third game has all four Qbabies do this at the end of their missions, and Qbby, Qucy, and Qudy do likewise at the end of the story.
- Mind Screw: The games' narrative is confusing, especially in the second game, where Qbby sees his past self on another planet and wakes him up.
- Mind Screwdriver: The descriptions of the music in the options menu explain some of the story.
- Old Save Bonus: Having BoxBoy! and/or BoxBoxBoy! on your 3DS system will unlock the Qucy costume and Game Boy color palette option in Bye-Bye BoxBoy!, which are otherwise unlocked through 100% Completion. You'll also be able to use every costume you've unlocked in those games.
- Scare Chord: Technically not a chord, but the 3DS menu jingle for Bye-Bye BoxBoy! is a low, ominous-sounding piano note.
- Serial Escalation: The second game lets Qbby use two sets of boxes, while the third gives him special boxes with specific powers.
- Silence Is Golden: Outside of the unlockable comics, all three games are completely devoid of dialogue.
- Spinoff Babies: The third game introduces Qbaby, mini-Qbbys that come in different colors.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: Qucy has eyelashes and a bow.
- Unlockable Content: Beating a stage gives you money that you can use to buy new costumes, music, comics, and challenge stages.