Video Game: Blood Bros
Blood Bros. is a 1990 arcade game developed and published by TAD Corporation in Japan and Europe as a spiritual sequel to Cabal, with almost identical mechanics.The rather sparse plot takes place in The Wild West. Two blood brothers, a cowboy and a red Indian, are sent to defeat Big John, an evil outlaw wanted for pillaging the treasure of Dodge City.Similar to Cabal, your characters are viewed from behind while you use a crosshair to target and shoot at enemies. Both characters have an unlimited ammo gun and limited number of
grenades dynamite. A "Foe" gauge at the bottom of the screen depletes as enemies and enemy structures are destroyed, and the level is completed once the gauge is empty.Unlike Cabal, there is a button for your character to do a dodge roll instead of a trackball. But don't be fooled, this game is still very hard.
Blood Bros. provides examples of:
- Arrows on Fire: Used by horseback-riding Indian Mooks.
- Bash Brothers: The player characters, a Cowboy and a Red Indian."In life, brothers will encounter many hardships and battles. But there is nothing stronger than the force of the Blood Brothers."
- Big Bad: Big Bad John. Hell, it's even in his name! Also taken literally - he's taller than a train!!!
- Button Mashing: In order to fire your weapon faster, it's required. Unless you got the machine-gun pickup. Can also be used to dodge grenades and bullet fire.
- Cool Train: The first boss. You also fight one as the penultimate boss of the game.
- Dolled-Up Installment: The game "Hard Times" is pretty much Blood Bros... with a mafia theme. Many of the levels, graphics and effects look very similar, and the enemies and bosses are just sprite replacements.
- Dynamic Difficulty: Present in this game- if you manage to survive for long enough, the enemies will fire more regularly, and their shots and bombs will become a lot faster. Losing a life tones it down, but not by much.
- Evil Laugh: Used by Big Bad John every single time he kills you, after he takes off his coat. It gets very annoying fast.
- Explosive Breeder: The bird boss has a Desperation Attack where it lays loads of eggs that hatch into small birds, each of which can attack you with fireballs!
- Expy: The second boss, a giant blimp that dropped loads of bombs, is one to the first boss of Cabal (a helicopter that dropped loads of bombs).
- Flunky Boss: The first boss, a train that attacked you with many cowboy Mooks.
- Giant Flyer: Third boss, a giant bird that attack you in the middle of the desert.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: The third and fourth bosses. The third boss is a giant fire-breathing bird that attacks in the middle of the desert, while the fourth is a giant fire-breathing snake that attacks you in the middle of a volcanic cave, and both explode spectacularly. Huh.
- Hand Cannon: Used by Big Bad John - he fires out cannonball-sized shots from his gun instead of the puny shots that regular enemies shoot at you!
- Large And In Charge: Big Bad John. With the emphasis on "Big"- when you beat his giant train, it explodes, revealing Big Bad John behind it. He's taller than the train itself!
- Messy Pig: Well, only a tad messy for you at least. Pigs will periodically run across the screen. Shooting them makes them drop dynamite ammo, or even better, a good weapon! (In case you were wondering, the pigs don't die, they run even faster, but you can still shoot them for more drops.)
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: Your characters can only take one hit to die.
- Recycled In SPACE: Blood Bros is pretty much Cabal in the Wild West.
- Rewarding Vandalism: Like Cabal, destroying the environment can net you powerups, points, and dynamite. As well as lowering the enemy gauge faster!
- Segmented Serpent: The fourth boss, a giant fire-breathing snake. You had to shoot it in the head to deplete its life bar.
- Shotguns Are Just Better: One of the weapons is a shotgun, which increases your shot size and damage, allowing you to kill enemies more easily.
- Spiritual Sequel: To Cabal.
- Throw a Barrel at It: One of Big Bad John's moves.
- Unnecessary Combat Roll: The combat roll makes you immune to damage and will save your ass.
- Wild West: Uh...