Video Game / Battle Circuit
(1997) is Capcom
's last side-scrolling Beat 'em Up
for the arcades. Sadly, it's pretty much unknown to the public, because it saw a very limited release (and it was never released in the US
), in a period when the arcade phenomenon was already waning.
Set in the year of 20XX
, it features a motley crew of Bounty Hunters
as main characters, and it is a return to the '50s Sci-Fi
-inspired settings of Captain Commando, with alien worlds, mad scientists, robots and fantastically weird character designs. Up to 4 players can join the fight, making it a very colorful, confusing and fun experience.
Another interesting feature of the game is the capability of upgrading the characters by buying new attacks, life and resistance enhancements, etc. Since the characters are bounty hunters, it makes sense that the most common bonuses are coins and stacks of cash, that can be used at the end of every level to buy said upgrades.
Battle Circuit provides examples of:
- Cyclops: Despite being a plant, Alien Green has one giant eye.
- Dual Boss: Dr. Saturn and Mark Octopus in your final encounter with them.
- Degraded Boss: Barbara turns into a normal enemy later in the game, along with Palette Swapped versions of her.
- Elevator Action Sequence: On giant plate platforms.
- Elvis Impersonator: Jonny, the second boss, is one of these.
- Expy: Cyber Blue is an expy of Captain Commando and Yellow Iris is an expy of Felicia.
- Extremity Extremist: Pink Ostrich uses mostly her legs and beak. It makes sense, because she is a bird after all and mainly uses her wings for flying. The only time she uses her wings for attacking are for her upper cut and desperation attacks.
- Eyepatch of Power: Pink Ostrich sports one, because she is a real badass.
- Femme Fatalons: Yellow Iris is a heroic version.
- Fragile Speedster: Yellow Iris is categorized as a Speedy. Her speed is the fastest and so are her hits, but Iris's attacks are weak. She is also the one with the second least amount health (Pink Ostrich beats her in that department). Iris's power-up givers her and everyone the ability to go faster too.
- Genki Bird: Pink Ostrich.
- Glass Cannon: Pink Ostrich. She has fairly high damaging moves when used right. In fact, her power-up gives her higher chances to dish out critical hits (called Death Blow), making her moves even more damaging. But she can only take a few hits with a (non) upgraded life bar. This is especially true against bosses.
- Girly Run: Yellow Iris.
- Helpful Mook: The blob thing on the gold saucer drops food when attacked. If you attack it more, it'll drop bags of money. It appears Every 250,000 points.
- Jack-of-All-Stats: Cyber Blue fits the bill with balance in health, speed, and power. His power-up gives him and everyone else the ability for stronger attacks.
- Kick Chick: Yellow Iris and a especially Pink Ostrich. See Extremity Extremist.
- Killer Space Monkey: The "Doc & Jennifer" boss. Jennifer is some kind of Giant Space Baboon!
- MacGuffin: The Shiva System disk, capable of controlling all of the computers in the universe, and the thing everybody is looking for.
- Mad Scientist: Dr. Saturn. Since he's a parody of this trope, he also indulges a lot in Evil Laughs and Mustache Twirling.
- Mecha-Mooks: Half of the enemies.
- Metronomic Man Mashing: One of Alien Green's grapple attacks.
- Mighty Glacier: Alien Green is described as a strong type. He is the slowest out of everyone, the only bounty hunter that doesn't have an aerial upper or air combo, but is really strong with his grappling moves, making him the Haggar of the game. Green also can heal himself and everyone else with his power-up, and has the largest life bar before and after fully upgrading it.
- Mook Promotion: Betsy, Cathy, and Chris are the mid-boss version of the regular biker girls.
- Multi-Armed and Dangerous: Some mooks are huge, muscular aliens with four arms.
- Multiple Endings: One where you recover the disk, and another where you face the True Final Boss.
- My Brain Is Big: Dr. Saturn. He even has a metal ring around his huge head, making him look like his namesake!
- Natural Weapon: The PC's all have their own weapons and there are no weapons to pick up in the game. Ever. This is justified considering out of the group there is a Cyborg, Cat Girl, Plant Alien, a Superhero of sorts, and a little girl riding an ostrich. They do pack a bunch of moves, making weapons kind of redundant.
- Of Corsets Sexy: Yellow Beast/Iris
- Plant Aliens: Alien Green.
- Power Copying: Pluto has the ability to use the same powerup abilites as your playable characters.
- Prehensile Tail: Yellow Iris's, pet, Fin can pick enemies off the ground with her tail and throw them.
- Rapunzel Hair: Yellow Iris.
- Recurring Boss: Dr. Saturn, whom you face a total of three times.
- The Reptilians: The Reptails, Dr. Saturn's henchmen.
- Ridiculously Cute Critter: Dr. Saturn's little blob sidekick, Yellow Iris' pet fox-squirrel critter and Zipang's tiny followers.
- Shapeshifter: Captain Silver.
- Shoryuken: Cyber Blue has a corkscrew version called Hyper Tornado and Yellow Iris has a clawed version called Ariel Dance.
- Shock and Awe: Cyber Blue.
- Shout-Out: There are some:
- Some mooks are half-naked biker chicks who ride futuristic bikes inspired by AKIRA and/or TRON.
- The girl riding Pink Ostrich is named Pola Abdul. The designers must have been fans of her music, as the game came out five years before American Idol.
- There is a secret hidden boss named Master Program. Additionally, it may not be the case, but some enemy robot are called R.O.B. and Gunbuster...
- Yellow Iris' pet is clearly modeled after the fox-squirrels that appear in Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind and Castle in the Sky.
- Dr. Saturn's car looks very similar to the Mean Machine.
- Stone Wall: Captain Silver. His power-up deals with him and everyone getting a huge defense boost, as it doesn't advance his nor anyone else's attack in anyway.
- Stripperiffic: The biker girls are wearing what looks like thigh-high boots, thongs, and open jacket - no shirt.
- Theme Naming: The main characters are code-named after colors: Cyber Blue (Brian Bruno), Yellow Iris (Diana Martines), Captain Silver (Andrey Mishucin), Pink Ostrich (Pinky, which is an ostrich), and Alien Green (real name unknown, since it's an alien one-eyed carnivorous flytrap-like bounty hunter). Two enemies are also named Dr. Saturn and Pluto.
- Toilet Humour: Sort of - On Dr. Saturn's spaceship, all the seats look like toilet seats...
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Pink Ostrich and Yellow Iris.
- Too Many Belts: Averted with Yellow Iris. She actually wears a belt around her waist to support her one piece corset.
- Toothy Bird: Pinky.
- True Final Boss: The Master Program. You need 3,200,000 points and either 1000 coins or at least 6 upgrades to face him.
- Warmup Boss: Your first encounter with Dr. Saturn.
- Whip It Good: Yellow Iris has a rapid whip attack.
- Wings Do Nothing: Averted with Pink Ostrich, as she can fly for a few seconds.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Alien Green specializes in grapples and wrestling moves. He has a few purchasable grapple moves, including the requisite "360 input" one.