Video Game: Banzai Pecan
aka: Banzai Pecan Last Hope For The Young Century
One hell of a Girls' Night Out.BANZAI PECAN: The Last Hope for the Young Century
is an indie, fanservice
by SERIOUS☆IMPACT WORKS.
Set in the year 20XX
, Pecan Apple and her new boyfriend Cinnamon Basil were out a date one day until a leader for a group of succubi calling themselves the Sexilicous Seven appears out of nowhere and kidnaps Pecan's boyfriend, something about being the key to an even bigger plan. Not one to sit idly by and let these demonic harlots steal her boyfriend while releasing chaos unto the world, Pecan invokes the powers of the Banzaider, the "super-soldiers of justice
", and transforms into the buxom
, badass super-heroine of justice
, Banzai Pecan
The gameplay is akin to beat 'em ups such as Kung Fu Master
as Pecan traverse through a single 2D plane as she fights enemies while avoiding the various hazards and occasionally bottomless pits
. Our heroine has a repertoire of moves she can pull off against her enemies, such as lightning-fast kicks
, flare kicks
, kicking ass with her own ass
, air combos, and various special moves she can learn along the way. If Pecan find herself overwhelmed by her enemies, she can side-step out of the way of an attack, roll out of a tight situation, or quickly summon a barrier to provide breathing room.
Development for the game started roughly in 2008 with a release window originally intended for a late summer 2008 release, with a rather minimalistic presentation with small and simple sprites. In 2009, the developers used a new engine for the game with improvements in the sprite-work and the game itself. On August 6th, 2012, the game was finally released for Windows PC and it is currently available on DESURA
. For a time it was up on Steam Greenlight during its release until the game received harsh backlash from those that never played the game, but it returned
years later by popular demand from the fans. The game's original soundtracks
can be listened or purchased on Luminous Riot's Bandcamp profile at any price (including free).
3.. 2.. 1.. Show off these tropes, Pecan!
- Action Girl: Pecan Apple when she invokes her super-powers and becomes Banzai Pecan.
- Adorkable and Sexy Nerd: Even when Pecan is not kicking someone's ass as Banzai Pecan, she's still got her sexy, womanly curves going on as a school girl.
- Affectionate Parody: Of old-school brawlers and henshin-hero series.
- Ambidextrous Sprite: The sprites in the game are flipped, leading to some of the characters' static features, such as French Vanilla's Peek-a-Bangs, to magically swap places.
- Ambiguously Brown: Bitter Almond and Mistress Mocha.
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: Cosplay Color options in the Extras menu. In the v1.1.1. update, color schemes of the bosses are also added.
- Animesque: The artstyle is very anime-esque, but was made by Americans.
- Arrogant Kung-Fu Girl: Toraken Soy.
- Art Evolution: During its development in 2008 the game use small sprite and simplistic visuals, similar to Vigilante. In 2009, and the use the Multimedia Fusion engine, the sprite-work was retooled to use larger and higher resolution character sprites.
- Ass Kicks You: One of Pecan's Stylish Finishers and her dash attack. Ash Bunny and the Hunny Bunnies can use their posterior to attack Pecan as well.
- Auto-Revive: The Revive Jewel's function.
- Banzai Pecan Is About to Punch You: The game's opening sequence.
- Bare Your Midriff: French Vanilla, Bitter Almond, Sugoi Maple, and Toraken Soy. Ash Bunny shows a sliver of his midriff.
- Battle Intro: Happens in boss fights.
- Blade on a Stick: Sister Spearmint fights with a spear named Luther.
- Bond One-Liner: Usually given by Pecan after defeating a member of the Sexilicous Seven.
- Boobs of Steel: French Vanilla, she is voluptuous and large-breasted. Pecan, while not as busty as her arch-enemies, is also "healthily-chested" and does equal amounts of ass-kicking.
- Boss Rush: A Boss Rush mode was added in v1.2.0. update.
- Boss Subtitles: "WARNING! THE BOSS IS APPROACHING! OH DAMN! CATFIGHT!" Each boss have their own variations of these intros.
- Bottomless Pits: In the third and second to last stages, and often you need a running start leap across them. Fall in and get ready to see that Game Over screen. Revive Jewels won't save you either.
- Bound and Gagged: Episode 4 is full of it.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: Lady Strawberry breaks the fourth wall near the end of the game.
- Also Flan Nougatt throughout the entire game.
- Button Mashing: You must do this during the Rapid Justice sequences for boss fights.
- By the Power of Grayskull!: "Banzai Power... BREAKOUT!!"
- Catfight: All over the place.
- Cleavage Window: Banzai Pecan and Sugoi Maple's outfits feature this.
- Combos: Pecan has an array of basic attacks that she can chain together while pummeling her foes.
- Cool Sword: Pecan uses one to finish off the Sexilicous Seven.
- Curtains Match the Window: Toraken Soy and Lemon Lime.
- Cute Devil Girl: The Red Devilettes.
- Cute Little Fangs: Tartars have them if you quint hard enough.
- Dance Battler: Pecan throws in some break-dance fighting into her repertoire.
- Dash Attack: Pecan can perform one by charging into enemies with her elbow.
- Defeat Equals Explosion: Whenever one of the Sexilicous Seven is defeated by Pecan, she finishes them off with her sword and they explode afterwards, however they usually show up in the following cut-scene A-OK (kind of).
- Delinquent Hair: There's a new enemy named Tartar who has been thrown in with the recent update. Her pompadour, Bostonian accent, and "fight the power" speak makes her play this trope to a T.
- Distressed Dude: Cinnamon Basil, who gets captured by the Sexilicous Seven early on.
- Dominatrix: Mistress Mocha, complete with a whip.
- Do Not Call Her TSUN-goi: Sugoi Maple really doesn't like to be called this.
- Double Entendre: Pecan gives one to Sister Spearmint by referring to her as "a bouncer".
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Ash Bunny, oh so much. but then again, that might be the point.
- Dumb Muscle: French Vanilla is high in strength according to her profile, but her intelligence on the other hand...
- Easy-Mode Mockery: If you play the game on the Green Zone difficulty, Flan will abruptly end the game before the final battle with Lady Strawberry begins while giving her interpretation of the ending.
- Edible Theme Naming: If names like Pecan Apple, Flan Nougatt, Cinnamon Basil, and French Vanilla doesn't make you hungry, what will?
- Evil Counterpart: Sugoi Maple, to Banzai Pecan.
- Expy: Banzai Pecan's outfit is similar to that of Harman Do Elan from the Super Famicom game Battle Tycoon: Flash Hiders SFX.
- Also Noriko, which oddly enough, there's a color scheme for her in the game that makes Pecan resemble said character.
- Lady Strawberry could be Ryoko's long-lost sister.
- Fanservice: Scantly-clad heroine? Check. An evil group of (mostly) large-chested succubi? Check. Every goon is a Ms. Fanservice? Check. Catfights? Double check.
- Finishing Move: The Stylish Finishers.
- Fire-Breathing Weapon: The orange Hunny Bunnies are packing flamethrowers made from car mufflers.
- For Great Justice: Pecan delivers this before fighting Spicy Jalapina.
- Future Badass: Bellbottom Shades is revealed to be Pecan's and Cinnamon's future son, who can kick ass like his mom.
- Gag Boobs: French Vanilla can use her breasts to counter Banzai Pecan's attacks.
- Gainaxing: French Vanilla, who's idle animation cause her breast to jiggle.
- Game Within a Game: After collecting 25 Savior Jun figurines and beating the game, you can play Savior Jun, an 8-bit, 5 level game, complete with a sound test and level select.
- Gameplay Grading: You get bonus at the end of each section of a stage for how many Stylish Finishers performed, how quickly you cleared the section, and how many items you picked up.
- Graphics-Induced Super-Deformed: You see Super-Deformed versions of Pecan and the boss she defeated at the end of a level.
- Grievous Harm with a Body: Added in the v1.1.1. update, allowing Pecan to hurl Hunny Bunnies into other enemies.
- Groin Attack: Banzai Pecan won't hold back on delivering serious impact to a girl's crotch.
- The Gunslinger: Bitter Almond, who's got a fast trigger finger.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Pecan is revealed at the end as a half-demon as she's Lady Strawberry's daughter.
- Highly-Visible Ninja: The Kuno Oni Ninja.
- Homage: The game is a huge throwback to 80's beat 'em up games such as Double Dragon and Kung Fu Master.
- Horny Devils: The Sexilicous Seven.
- Hot-Blooded: Pecan when it comes to dispensing justice as Banzai Pecan.
- Hyperactive Metabolism: Banzai Pecan recovers health and heat with food items.
- I Broke a Nail: Ash Bunny will sometimes say this when getting the tar beaten out of him.
- Idiosyncratic Combo Levels: As you beat up enemies, a combo meter appears below your Life Meter with a phrase associated with your combo, such "Not Bad..." to "Amazing!" and "Banzai!".
- Idiosyncratic Difficulty Levels: With the updates of the game, we have Green Zone (Easy), Yellow Zone (Normal), and Red Zone (Hard).
- Improbably Female Cast: The Male-to-Female ratio in this game ratio 1:4 in a cast of fifteen characters.
- Jill-of-All-Stats: Banzai Pecan is fairly high in all areas, according to her profile.
- Kamehame Hadoken: Pecan can learn one at one point in the game, and Soy can shoot fireballs akin Ryu and Ken.
- Kick Them While They Are Down: Banzai Pecan can stomp on downed enemies. Hunny Bunnies also have a habit of ass-bombing Pecan while she's knocked down.
- Kindhearted Cat Lover: Sugoi Maple surprisingly like cats, as listed as one of her "Likes".
- Kleptomaniac Hero: Banzai Pecan gets bonus points, recovery items, and Savior Jun figurines by busting up vending machines and looting them.
- Launcher Move: Banzai Pecan's upppercut can launch foes in the air, which can be followed up with combo attacks.
- Leotard of Power: Our heroine, Banzai Pecan, and Mistress Mocha.
- Let's Play: One for the Green Zone difficulty can be seen by SparrowPlaysGames here.
- Life Meter: A basic gauge display for your Life Meter.
- Mana Meter: The Heat Meter, which is used for Pecan's special attacks.
- Loading Screen: Flan will give you hints while the game loads.
- Luke, I Am Your Father: During the finale, Lady Strawberry reveals that she is Pecan and Sugoi's mother.
- Magical Girl Warrior: Pecan is one, who also doubles a Henshin Hero as her superpowers comes from her Banzai Bracelets and transforming into Banzai Pecan.
- Meaningful Name: It's possible Ash Bunny might have been named after someone else.
- Pepper Rika's sounds like "paprika", a spicy chili pepper power, and she works at the Taco Hut where the food tends to be spicy (according to Pecan).
- Megane, Cool Shades: BellBottom Shades.
- Meganekko: Pecan again when she's not fighting as Banzai Pecan, and Flan Nougatt.
- The Merch: T-shirts and stickers with Pecan parodying Rosie the Riveter, another with Pecan shooting a Burning Star Shot, and one where Pecan facing off against Sugoi Maple are being sold at Red Bubble. A poster of the former can also be purchased.
- Mercy Mode: An update adds a "Green Zone" difficulty which removes Jennies and Fire Bunnies from the game, you always start with full power and an auto-revive, and bosses will be weakened for you. The trade-off however means you miss out on the overall experience (cut-scene, certain stages, etc.) and the final boss battle.
- Mini-Game: A button-mashing shaved ice eating contest with a Hunny Bunny. Complete with a brain freeze meter.
- Multicolored Hair: Flan has a mix of brown hair with a touch of blond. Bitter Almond has brown with orange hair.
- Muscles Are Meaningless: The women in the game aren't muscular by any means yet some can hit with the force of a speeding truck.
- Ms. Fanservice: You, the enemies, and the villains.
- New Game+: After you beat the game, you can start a new game with all your unlocked special moves.
- Nintendo Hard: No lives, no checkpoints, and lots of enemies.
- One-Winged Angel: Lady Strawberry's Demon Form in the final battle.
- Palette Swap: Hunny Bunnies come in a few different colors. Pecan can also swap her color palette after beating the game.
- Playboy Bunny: Hunny Bunnies, the primary Mooks of the game.
- Peek-a-Bangs: French Vanilla, who has her bangs obscuring of one her eyes.
- Pointy Ears: The Sexilicous Seven, given they're succubi.
- Psychotic Smirk and Slasher Smile: Pecan sports one when transforming to Banzai Pecan. It's part of her hot blooded justice gig.
- Punched Across the Room: Some attacks (e.g. a power punch from a Jenny Jackrabbit) can send Pecan soaring across the area.
- Punny Name: Pepper Rika from the Taco Hut, who's name sounds like paprika.
- Qipao: Sister Spearmint wears a sleeved one.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Mistress Mocha in her profile.
- Red-Headed Hero: Banzai Pecan, going along with her hot-blooded nature.
- Scoring Points: You gain points for landing successful blows and defeating enemies as with other brawlers, and extra points can be earned by collecting money and or collectibles.
- Sexy Walk: Pecan has one.
- Seer: Cinnamon Basil, Pecan's new boyfriend, can see into the future that often leads into him getting to trouble.
- She-Fu: Banzai Pecan with her break-dance fighting skills.
- She's Got Legs: Pecan, and some of the other enemies as well.
- Shoto Clone: Soy is one through and through, she can even unleash fireballs from her hands and she will starting performing Shoryukens after turning red.
- Shout-Out: The entire game is one giant shout-out to the beat 'em up genre from the 1980's and 1990's of video gaming. For example, this line from Flan during the loading screen.
- This scene when Pecan tries to invoke her powers of the Banzaider to save Cinnamon Basil from Spicy Jalapina:
"Banzai Brace Activate!"
(An awkward silence from Flan, Spicy, and Cinnamon) Pecan:
"Banzai Prism Power!
"Those don't work!" Pecan:
"By the power of Grayskull!
"..... (snicker)" Flan:
"Give it up, Pecan. They won't work for you." Pecan:
"Banzai Lavenda wouldn't give me a broken power-up. They have to work!" Spicy:
"You're hilarious..." Hot Guy...? (Cinnamon):
"For the love of God! Get out of here before she kills you!" Pecan:
"Damn it! AAAAUGH! It's Banzai Time! Henshin-A-Banzai, baby!
Shazam! Banzai Smash!
Summon up the power of the Banzai! Armor of Banzai!"
- Sleeves Are for Wimps: Soy certainly thinks so.
- Smashing Survival: Want to survive the Rapid Justice sequence? MASH ALL OF THE BUTTONS ON YOUR KEYBOARD/CONTROLLER!
- Special Guest: Dayasha Thirsts appears as a special guest striker. Under certain conditions, Dayasha will give assistance to Banzai Pecan by performing the Dayasha Bomb! It just got real!
- Split Personality: Lemon-Lime is the obvious poster child for this trope.
- To an extent, Lady Strawberry. She's obviously bonkers.
- Statuesque Stunner: A few of the Sexilicous Seven like Sister Spearmint are taller than Pecan.
- Stripperific: Let's just say "modesty" isn't a part of some these characters' vocabulary.
- Super Mode: After being revived, Pecan's Awakened Mode before the final boss. Also, it is unlockable after beating the game.
- Taunt Button: Not just a "flaunting" extra, but it actually ticks off EVERYTHING in the game when you do that.
- Tempting Fate: Played for laughs when Lady Strawberry broke in the Taco Hut to kidnap Cinnamon Basil.
- This Is a Drill: French Vanilla uses one during the Rapid Justice sequence, and she punishes the player for failing by using drilling them.
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: Pepper's reaction to Lady Strawberry busting down a wall in the Taco Hut: "We just fixed that, bitch!"
- Thigh-High Boots: Warn by Sugoi Maple, Sister Spearment, Mistress Mocha, and Lady Strawberry.
- Third-Person Person: The main charm behind Bitter Almond.
- Token Wholesome: As wholesome as Flan gets, anyway.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: Flan's wears a ponytail with sidetails.
- Turn Red: When the bosses are close to losing it.
- Transformation Sequence: Pecan gets one when she transforms into Banzai Pecan for the first time (and a shorten one afterwards), with a hint of the usual Barbie Doll Anatomy from some magical girl anime series.
- Transformation Trinket: Pecan's Banzai Bracelets.
- A Twinkle in the Sky: Reach for the Stars!, one of Banzai Pecan's Stylish Finishers does this to mooks. Also, French Vanilla's Chest Upper does this to Pecan.
- Versus Character Splash: Before a boss fight.
- Warm-Up Boss: Spicy Jalapina and French Vanillia.
- Who Wears Short Shorts?: Ash Bunny, Sugoi Maple, and Tartar does.
- World of Buxom: Good number of women in Banzai Pecan have bra sizes larger than a C-cup, with a few exceptions (Lemon-Lime, Sugoi Maple, and Lady Strawberry).
- Wrestler in All of Us: Pecan can perform a Suplex Finisher against enemies.
- Yaoi Fangirl: "Shonen Ai" is listed as one of Bitter Almond's likes.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: Spicy Jalapina, Sister Spearmint, and Lemon-Lime of the Sexilicous Seven have green hair. Ash Bunny has violet hair. Our heroine's faithful Fangirl and a friend of Pecan, Flan Nougatt, and the Sexilicous Seven's gun-toting Bitter Almond has Multicolored Hair.
- Zettai Ryouiki: Sugoi Maple, Sister Spearment, Mistress Mocha, and Lady Strawberry all wears Thigh-High Boots. Red Devillettes also wear them as well. Lemon-Lime, Tartar, and Pecan in her normal form plays this trope straight with thigh-highs.