The evil demon never expected the blue sphereBad Omen
in the USA) is a very interesting take on the Breakout Clone genre, on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis. The player controls two different paddles (or each player controls one paddle), one of which can change height and orientation.
Bad Omen displays examples of:
- Battle Couple: As stone paddles, the prince and princess work together to smash the blue ball into their enemies.
- Big Damn Heroes: Just when it seems like all hope is lost for the prince & princess to have a happy life, the blue sphere comes to their rescue.
- Breaking Out
- Cue the Sun: The ending.
- Darker and Edgier: Most Breakout clones don't have a dark evil/gothic/horror theme... or much of any concrete theme at all.
- Deus ex Machina: A mysterious blue sphere, which the prince & princess can use to fight back against evil, just happens to fall from the sky.
- Evil Counterpart: The final boss shoot out blue spheres similar to your own.
- Evil Is Visceral: The final boss is a beating heart.
- Excuse Plot: The introduction text is absolutely hilarious.
- Green-Eyed Monster: The evil demon is jealous about the fact that a prince & princess can be happy.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: The evil demon should have thought of something else to turn the prince & princess into.
- Lethal Lava Land: The volcano stage, complete with volcanoes shooting out fireballs.
- Lucky Charms Title: The name of the demon.
- Mysterious Protector: Nothing is ever explained about the mysterious blue sphere.
- No Ontological Inertia: Defeating the evil demon results in the prince & princess turning back into human form once they get back to their kingdom.
- Taken for Granite: The prince & princess are cursed to be stone paddles. The cover art indicates that they are actually statues who are stuck onto the bottoms of gigantic stone paddles.
- Turns Red: All of the bosses of the "defeat" type.
- Womb Level: The final boss battle takes place in one of these, complete with a big beating demon heart.