Video Game: Awesome Possum
"I'm awesome!"Awesome Possum... Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt is a 1993 platformer by Tengen for the Sega Genesis. You play as the titular possum, fighting against Dr. Machino and his robot army as they despoil the environment. This is not all he fights against; in addition to robots and traps, he must struggle with slippery controls, clipping issues, slowdown, poor hit detection, sloppy level design, and voice samples that insist on reminding the player that Awesome Possum has 'tude.This game was created during the Mascot with Attitude boom following Sonic the Hedgehog.
This work contains examples of:
- Badbutt: As with most Mascot with Attitude era protagonists.
- Bee Afraid: You'll face more than one giant, deformed bee over the course of the game.
- Bleak Level/Down in the Dumps: "Dr. Machino's Domain" and "The Fortress of Garbage" an actual landfill complete with the additional dark skies, menacing mechas and jefferies tubes, a likely sort that makes the place very reminiscent of a certain final zone.
- Boss Rush: Awesome Possum refaces all the past bosses in the last round before Dr. Machino.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin/Spoiler Title: It tells exactly what Awesome Possum will do to Dr. Machino when he defeats him.
- Excuse Plot: Dr. Machino is polluting the environment! Go through levels and stop him!
- Follow the Leader: Utterly shameless in ripping off of Sonic the Hedgehog, though it plays more like Bubsy... another Sonic ripoff.
- Foregone Conclusion: What did you expect?
- Green Aesop: Not just the storyline, either. Every level ends with a quiz about the environment.
- Jungle Japes: The first level takes place in the Amazon Rainforest, where deforestation is taking place.
- Literal Ass Kicking: As part of the ending, while a chorus sings the game's title, just like it does when the game starts up.
- Pop Quiz: Every round ends with a bonus question about the environment, which will reward the player with bonus points if answered correctly.
- Powerup Letdown: The speed boost. Considering how touchy the controls are, all the speed boost does is send Awesome Possum careening into either a bottomless pit or an enemy.
- Rushmore Refacement: You celebrate your victory by desecrating more of the environment.
- Show, Don't Tell: Awesome Possum reaffirming that he's awesome, so cool; etc., when more respectable mascots like Sonic or Sparkster never needed to.
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: The third level takes place on the oil rigs of Antarctica.