Video Game: Awesome Possum
"I'm awesome!"Awesome Possum... Kicks Dr. Machino's Butt is a 1993 platformer by Tengen for the Sega Genesis. You play as the titular possum, fighting against Dr. Machino and his robot army as they despoil the environment. This is not all he fights against; in addition to robots and traps, he must struggle with slippery controls, clipping issues, slowdown, poor hit detection, sloppy level design, and voice samples that insist on reminding the player that Awesome Possum has 'tude.This game was created during the Mascot with Attitude boom following Sonic the Hedgehog.
This work contains examples of:
- Down in the Dumps: "Dr. Machino's Domain" and "The Fortress of Garbage" an actual landfill complete with the additional dark skies, menacing mechas and jefferies tubes, a likely sort that makes the place very reminiscent of a certain final zone.
- Everything's Worse with Bees: You'll face more than one giant, deformed bee over the course of the game.
- Follow the Leader: Utterly shameless in ripping off of Sonic the Hedgehog, though it plays more like Bubsy... another Sonic ripoff.
- Foregone Conclusion: What did you expect?
- Green Aesop: Not just the storyline, either. Every level ends with a quiz about the environment.
- Literal Ass Kicking: As part of the ending, while a chorus sings the game's title, just like it does when the game starts up.
- Power-Up Letdown: The speed boost. Considering how touchy the controls are, all the speed boost does is send Awesome Possum careening into either a bottomless pit or an enemy.