Inspired by Buffy the Vampire Slayer and magical girl anime, Ara Fell is an RPG Maker 2003 role-playing game with light-hearted bite. It was made by Badluck and can be found here.Set on a continent made up entirely of floating islands where it constantly snows (but the snow melts quickly in most areas), the plucky heroine, Lita LeCotta, must endure a wannabe hero, a snarky sorceress and an enigmatic bard as they travel to deal with a cursed ring and the vampire threat. For, you see, Lita LeCotta is the Chosen One.Ara Fell was released commercially on Steam on June 2 2016, and this can be found here.
Tropes found in Ara Fell:
- Being Evil Sucks: Most of the saner vampires are not happy with their curse and are willing to do anything to get the Sunstone, which they believe can restore them to being normal humans and elves.
- Bittersweet Ending: Baramon is killed, but the Sunstone shattered in the process, causing the continent to fall into the Abyss. Not everyone survived, but those who did live through the fall managed to build villages.
- Early-Bird Cameo: You can meet the entire playable cast within five minutes of starting the game.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: The last phase of the Final Boss fight has the boss getting consecutive turns to deal multiple normal attacks, all of which deal the damage cap.
- Idiot Heroes: Arguably both Lita and Adrian due to their reckless dungeon crawling, although Seri Kesu and Dorian make up for their cute antics.
- Inevitable Tournament: The very first story arc is an archery tournament. However, it isn't playable and Lita will win in a cutscene.
- Lawful Stupid: Zigzagged. Most of Atana's soldiers see Maranda as Obviously Evil, but still follow her authority due to the law and chain of command. However, the party manages to convince some of them to stand up to her.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Vampires seem to have the standard blood-sucking and aversion to sunlight, but the ruins under Atana reveals that they will eventually mutate, which may explain why they want to become humans and/or gods instead.
- Real Time Weapon Change: Lita can switch to a stake in order to kill vampires.
- Scenery Porn: Even today, the maps are considered some of the most gorgeously-designed maps in RPG Maker history.
- Taken for Granite: The surviving elves turned themselves to stone to avoid being turned by the vampires.
- Well-Intentioned Extremist:
- Nash's side wants to use the Sunstone to undo their vampirism, even if it means going to war with humanity.
- Doren and Talani consider their fellow elven survivors to be misguided in turning themselves to stone just to prevent the Sunstone's use, despite how it forces the Sunstone into a state where Ara Fell may no longer float. Though the elves may have a point if someone like Baramon used it to become an insane godlike demon.
- World in the Sky: Pretty much what the entire game is placed on. (The parts of the game that were actually released are more of a Floating Continent.