Video Game: An SMWC Production
The first ever collaboration hack created by over 200 users of SMW Central. It is Peach's birthday, and Mario and Luigi must go and gather eggs to make her a cake. Things aren't quite as normal as they seem along the way though...An SMWC (Super Mario World Central) Production
is a hack of Super Mario World
that a lot of members of the site SMW Central
created. Creation of the hack was led by a SMW Central Admin, S.N.N., although the idea originally came from a forum member named "Buu", now known as "Weeabuu". The idea remained a secret until the specific forum for it got closed down. Then S.N.N. saw the idea and decided to lead it. The hack contains a lot of levels made by different members. Some of the levels are similar to the original game, while others include elements and enemies from games such as Cave Story
and Super Paper Mario
The story starts off as a typical Mario game. It's Peach's birthday
and Mario wants to make her a special cake. Bowser makes a dare to see if Mario and Luigi could get eight eggs
from his minions, including himself. Mario and Luigi are on a daring adventure to collect all of the eggs. However, things don't always go the way they're planned. Mario and Luigi have to go through eight worlds, going through grass, mountains, caves, ice, clouds, deserts, the ocean, and finally Bowser's volcanic world.
A sequel, entitled SMW Central Production 2
, has been in the works for the past 4 years, featuring an industrialism theme and a new Big Bad
to fight against. The sequel will feature original graphics (instead of graphics from other games) and original soundtracks by various members. The original game itself was receiving an update called SMW Central Production 1.5
, which would address problems with the original game. However, the project did not receive much attention from the userbase and was ultimately canceled.
This game provides examples of:
- Author Avatar: Megadmin, and then the administrator S.N.N., are fought as the Bonus Boss.
- Acid Trip Dimension: Most of "Rupture in Reality", a level made by the Let's Player raocow, who's famous in the hacker scene.
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer: One world is a giant sewer with pipes leading to all of the other worlds. You must find certain secret exits to gain access to them though. There are also a few underground levels. One of them is absurdly long. One of them has a lot of coins. The other one has you race the clock.
- Analogy Backfire: After the fifth world is cleared and Toadsworth leaves Mario and Luigi:
Don't you think we should help him back or something? Mario:
Luigi, I've beaten all the bad guys along the way. The entire path from here to Mushroom Castle is as safe as a Koopa under its shell. Luigi: ... Mario:
...which, uh, I guess isn't that safe. But it's safer than that.
- Author Appeal: raocow loves weird, abstract level design, and his level submission, "Rupture in Reality" (see above), reflects this.
- Badass Mustache: Check out the Thwomps!
- Big Boo's Haunt: Every world after World 1 features at least 1 level related with the dead or ghosts. Some include Weeaboo Manor (W2), Football Canyon (W2, last part of the level), Unearthly Hollow (W3), Forresty Snow (W4), Zephyr Manor (W4), Chateau of Storms (W5), Buried Graveyard (W6), Glacier Graveyard (W7), Luluboo's Mansion (W7), Confusing Chambers (W8), and Rupture in Reality (W8).
- Blackout Basement: The first level of World 7, Dark Depths. And you thought that Water Level in World 8 of New Super Mario Bros. Wii was difficult?
- Bonus Boss: Megadmin and S.N.N..
- Bubbly Clouds: World 5
- The Cake Is a Lie: Unless Luigi has something to say about it.
- Death Mountain: World 2
- Game-Breaking Bug:
- On certain emulators, the game crashes after defeating Boom Boom in The Counterfort. Also partway through Adventum Terminus, the sound and music goes silent, and when leaving the room, the game crashes at a black screen, making the level impossible to complete.
- Also, after defeating the Final Boss and collecting the eggs, you have to go all the way back to Peach's Castle to trigger the credits, but the game often does not acknowledge you having the eggs, preventing you from fully finishing the game. As the eggs are also required to buy the spacesuit, you can't go to the space world to fight the Bonus Boss.
- Giant Space Flea from Nowhere: After defeating Bowser, it turns out the eggs were keys to a dimension called the Void that powered Bowser up. However, Luigi foils that plan by saying he remembers Toadsworth saying something about a virtual reality experiment in one of the earlier castles. This makes Bowser angry, so he summons the Ghost of Toadsworth, who is the final boss.
- Infinite 1-Ups: The first part of Nippy Expanse from World 4. There's a few climbing fences that you can jump on an unlimited amount of Koopa Troopas (They keep on reappearing).
- raocow exploited one in Weeaboo Manor, making it a running gag.
- Hailfire Peaks: Zephyr Manor is a Ghost House set in World 4 with an added wind element.
- King Mook: Only the bosses of Worlds 4, 5, 6, and 8 aren't these.
- Lethal Lava Land: World 8
- The Lost Woods: Forgotten Forest and Unearthly Hollow.
- My Name Is ???: Done with Toadsworth at the beginning of the World 4 cutscene.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero: Played with near the end of the game — Bowser's entire plan was to demoralize Mario by having him think his dedication to Peach resulted in him giving Bowser total control over everything. It may have worked, had Luigi not realized the flaws in his plan.
- Nintendo Hard
- Power-Up Mount: Yoshis, who are EXTREMELY rare in the game.
- Schizophrenic Difficulty: Let's just say some of the earlier levels can shift between easy to hard and tedious. (See That One Level on the YMMV page). This was so bad that a collaborative update was announced to fix some levels and replace others, and the upcoming sequel will have a more subdued difficulty curve.
- Shifting Sand Land: World 6
- Slippy-Slidey Ice World: World 4 and parts of World 7
- Space Zone: The sewers take you there!
- Suddenly Voiced: Mario. Keep in mind that the official games never gave Mario any full lines of dialogue. However, Luigi did have lines of dialogue in the Paper Mario series.
- Super Speed: In a World 3 Level, "Danger Mine", you have to go to this one area where the level scrolls so fast, you cannot control yourself.
- Under the Sea: Most of World 7. In fact, one of the levels is a forest that's flooded!
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: In the first level of World 4, after completing a puzzle, you go fly on the Sky Pop for the rest of the level.
- Unwinnable: On certain emulators, Adventum Terminus cannot be completed due to a Game-Breaking Bug.
- The Very Definitely Final Dungeon: Bowser's Castle with the Void.
- Wake-Up Call Boss: The first boss is a Giant Spiny that fires a bunch of fireballs that are hard to dodge. Fortunately, most of the other bosses are far slower and allow you time to dodge.