Video Game / Altered Destiny
is a point-and-click adventure released by Accolade
in 1990 for the Amiga
and IBM Personal Computer
Picking up his TV from the repair shop the night of his stay at home date, middle manager PJ Barrett is alarmed to find his set was mixed up with the one belonging to the Conan
lookalike leaving the store as he drove up. He's sucked in and transported to the planet Daltere to find the omnipotent Jewel of Light has driven the alien Helmar insane. If PJ wants to make his date, he'll have to stop Helmar from destroying the world.
Altered Destiny provides examples of:
- Artifact of Doom: The Jewel of Light drove Helmar crazy and it kills PJ if he even touches it.
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: You'll probably die from falling off ledges more than everything else put together.
- Guide Dang It!: As is to be expected from an early-90s graphic adventure game.
- Light Is Not Good: As noted the source of both the villain's power and his insanity is the Jewel of Light.
- Literal Metaphor: When Vindah warns you watch out for natural springs he means spring-like creatures called Hoppa. When he talks about facing your fear he means floating blobs called Fears
- Meaningful Name: Because of the circumstances involving his transportation, PJ spends the entire game in his silk pajamas.
- Summon Everyman Hero: Not that they meant to.