Age of Empires
is a series of historical Real Time Strategy
games by the Microsoft-owned developer Ensemble Studios.
The franchise, so far, is composed by the following games/series:
- Age of Empires - 1997
- Age of Empires: The Rise of Rome - 1998
- Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings - 1999
- Age of Empires II: The Conquerors - 2000
- Age of Empires II: HD Edition - 2013
- Age of Empires II HD: The Forgotten - 2013
- Age of Mythology - 2002 - A spin-off focusing on mythological figures and creatures.
- Age Of Mythology: The Titans - 2003
- Age of Empires III - 2005
- Age of Empires III: The War Chiefs - 2006
- Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties - 2008
- Age of Empires: The Age of Kings - 2006 - A Turn Based Strategy spin-off for Nintendo DS.
- Age of Empires: Mythologies - 2008 - Same as above.
- Age of Empires Online - 2011 - A free-to-play free-roaming RTS with RPG Elements.
In addition, the Star Wars
RTS Galactic Battlegrounds
is Age of Empires IN SPACE
(LucasArts used the AOE II engine) and Ensemble developed an RTS based on the Halo
series, Halo Wars
, which was Ensemble Studios' swan song, as Microsoft closed them down on 1/29/09, making Age of Empires 4
unlikely. There was also a spiritual successor in the form of Empire Earth
, which was developed by the very same creator of Age of Empires
and released on November 23, 2001.Age of Empires Online
, however, turned out to be very much in production. The announcement broke the base
almost immediately. The game, made by Gas Powered Games, is intended to enable players "to create a living, growing online world, shared with friends and friendly rivals around the globe, [while] players can develop their own persistent online civilization, which grows even when the player is offline and watch as it progresses from a village to an empire. They can embark on quests along the way, alone or with friends, and to "immerse themselves in epic tales, quirky characters, adventure, history and strategy." The game also includes Live Achievements. Initially released with just the Greek civilisation, the Egyptians, Persians, Celts, Babylonians and Norse have since been added. The free-to-play model has also been revamped, allowing persistent players to earn in-game currency to purchase paid content without paying a dime.
On the 3rd of January 2013, it was announced on the official blog that Online
would have no further content added, though support will be continued for the game. Due to the closure of the Games For Windows Live service on July 1, 2014, which the game heavily relies on, Online
will shut down at the same time. In between the closure and the announcement, no new players could join nor could the premium currency be purchased with real money, though it could still be earned in-game by players already present.
The series in general give examples of: