"Normally, jumping off buildings would be incredibly stupid. But this is the future, so you get points for it. Who's incredibly stupid now?"AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
, abbreviated as AaAaAA!!!
, is an indie game from Dejobaan Games, released in September of 2009.
Enter an Alternate History
version of Boston, Massachusetts in the year 2011. In 1982, weird floating mountains and buildings descended from space and people now live in them. The player takes the role of a daredevil who BASE jumps off of these floating objects.
Gameplay consists of freefalling in First-Person view from the top of the level to the bottom, getting close to as many buildings or solid objects as possible on the way down. Each object you near earns you a "kiss". Staying near an object earns you "hugs." You can smash through colored scoring plates and smack into birds. After acquiring the relevant upgrades, you can give a thumbs-up to supporters, flip off protesters, use Caffeine Bullet Time
and spraypaint graffiti onto the sides of municipal structures. Oh, and you need to use a wingsuit to land safely, otherwise... splat.
All of the above actions earn you points which lead to star ratings, which get you teeth, which allow you to unlock other levels in the game as well as some tutorial videos and slightly weirder things like a meditation exercise to help you relax- and another to do just the opposite. The game overall has a very tongue-in-cheek presentation, with tutorial levels having a tape-rewinding sound at the end, lengthy level and achivement names
, and humorous descriptions for said levels. The game even keeps track of bones broken, namely all of them
if you crash land.
A sequel, AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - For the Awesome
, was released in 2011. It contains 43 new levels, plus all the levels of the first game, along with introducing new mechanics such as invulnerability plates.
This Video Game provides examples of:
- Amazing Technicolor Battlefield: Well, not a battlefield per se. You do kill a few birds here and there.
- Black Comedy
- Bottomless Pits: Miss the end-level landing plate(s) and you fall into one of these.
- Caffeine Bullet Time: Slamming the triple espresso during gameplay will cause your screen to turn red, time to slow and Lights become MUCH brighter
- Catch Phrase: Nevin - "More news at midnight."
- Cloud Cuckoolander: "Nevin here, with the news."
- Crapsack World: Many of the news broadcasts in game hint at this.
- Excited Show Title!
- Flipping the Bird: The player character can give the British two-fingered variety to protesters objecting to his antics.
- Generic Graffiti: The player character can spray various tags onto municipal structures as he hurtles past them, such as "Giant Robot Pornography" or "Dejobaan Sucks".
- Hitler's Time Travel Exemption Act: Discussed at the end of the video that gives advice on accidental time travel, with the guy stating that people have tried it before.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall: The news anchors occasionally mention the player character as a mysterious base jumper who calls themself "Player one".
- Long Title / Overly-Long Scream: The game title itself, as well as achievements and levels. They're also amusing, such as "Mash Face Against Mountain"
- Dejobaan is on record stating that they could call their games something sensible, like Xtreme Base Jumping, but then they wouldn't have the fun of being able to say "This is our game, it's called AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAA." Their next game (AaAaAA!!! meets Audiosurf) is called "1... 2... 3... KICK IT! (Drop That Beat Like an Ugly Baby)".
- Nintendo Hard: For The Awesome has the "Awesome" levels, which are brutal meatgrinders - long levels, tiny gaps, and mobile scenery. Thankfully, some levels have checkpoints which are spawn points in the event of the player plowing into a building at terminal velocity.
- Not the Fall That Kills You: Remember to deploy your wingsuit! If you don't do it early enough, you won't offset your speed enough.
- Powers of Two Minus One: The achievement you get for completing your 128th jump is called "I Have Jumped Beyond the Powers of Two, and Have Lived to Tell the Tale".
- Unfortunate Implications: Invoked in the Steam description for the "Brutal Concussion" DLC - "Dejobaan Games loves you. And you always hurt the one you love." Ouch.
- Unlockable Content: Content is unlocked from teeth awarded in-game.
- The lower levels use kneecaps.
- Your Mom / Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick: Summer sale achievement. Air. Wind. Sun. Pain. I Am All of This, and Your Mom Makes a Fine Pasta Dinner