"Can I has you turban?" [sic]
— Kittey (requesting the random genie woman's turban)
"Ow! I hate you!"A Game with a Kitty is the tale of Kittey, a cat charged with exploring a recently-appeared tower by his fellow residents of Kicas, because—well, there really isn't much of a reason. They just don't seem to like him. Along the way, he explores various environments, gains new powers, and challenges some random guy with a bottle rocket.It is every bit as weird as it sounds.That being said, A Game with a Kitty is certainly worth downloading. Assuming you aim for 100% Completion, it only takes a few hours to complete.This game has various sequels, but not all of them are protagonized by Kitty.
— Glasses (after being stomped on the head)
A Game with a Kitty provides examples of the following tropes:
- Air-Aided Acrobatics: In Windy Whiskers and elsewhere where there's wind, you mostly have to keep fighting against it to avoid falling and dying, but occasionally the wind changes direction and helps you jump higher/farther.
- Alliterative Name: The level called Windy Whiskers.
- Always Check Behind the Chair: That last money bag in Alibaba Heights, in a room you can't find the door to? Check the window with a triangular top, just a bit ahead of there.
- Ambiguous Gender: Applies to everyone, with the possible exemption of the bearded elder, but mention must go to Glasses. His/Her/Its gender ambiguity is even lampshaded by Kittey on Crystal Moon:Kittey: Are you a boy or a girl?
- Batman Can Breathe in Space
- Charged Attack: A power-up capable of instantly killing standard enemies and thrusting Kittey across great distances without falling.
- Charge Meter: Emptied whenever the Charged Attack is used, or Kittey passes through a one-way ring.
- Collision Damage
- Convection Shmonvection
- Difficulty Spike: Once you enter the second tower.
- Floating Platforms
- The Fool: Kittey.
- Goomba Stomp
- Goomba Springboard
- Gotta Catch Them All: Of the Optional type: bags of money aren't absolutely necessary, since you can receive money from defeated enemies, but they make things noticeably easier.
- Gusty Glade: Windy Whiskers, with wind appearing in other places as well. The wind is frustrating to fight against until you get to use Kittey's hat as a parachute.
- Improvised Parachute: That little red cap gets some decent wind resistance.
- Kleptomaniac Hero: Whoever owns all those money bags isn't going to be happy with Kittey.
- Lava Pit
- Mercy Invincibility
- Mind over Matter: When you use the Charged Attack, you float.
- Non-Lethal Bottomless Pits/Bottomless Pits: Flips back and forth—falling off the bridge in Kittey's hometown only injures you, while trying to jump down from one of the outside puzzle rooms to another in Alibaba Heights results in instant death.
- Nice Hat
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Glasses and Elder.
- Platform Hell: Starts to really kick in after the first tower, and remains present all the way through Crystal Moon.
- Retraux: According to the Web site, it's “designed to play like older SNES/SEGA games.”
- Ridiculously Cute Critters: Kittey and his villagers.
- Selective Gravity
- Super Not-Drowning Skills: Especially evident given the lack of a time limit.
- Spikes of Doom: Really weird-looking ones.
- Stupid Good: Also Kittey.
- Suspicious Video Game Generosity: if you run across a Save Point that isn't near the beginning of the stage, use it.
- Tactical Suicide Boss: Glasses' giant robot. It's only weak when it hoists itself into the air, then slams its head down.
- The Three Trials: On Crystal Moon. First is you progressing with the arrow tiles, and you have to jump so you don't drop into the Bottomless Pit, without being able to use the glide. Second one is basically yourself defending from enemies which come in waves, while third is you escaping from rising lava.
- You Gotta Have Blue Fur: while Kittey's blue fur may seem like the obvious choice, the fur of one Kicas resident is red.
- Temporary Platform: on Crystal Moon.
- Wall Crawl and Wall Jump: Learned via a single power-up.
- Walk, Don't Swim
- A Winner Is You