Video Game: Kirby Squeak Squad
The second Kirby game for the Nintendo DS, released in 2006.One day, Kirby was about to eat a delicious slice of strawberry cake when suddenly, it was stolen! Kirby assumes that King Dedede did it, but he's innocent this time. Who took the cake? This must be the work of Daroach and his gang! Kirby goes after the rogue rodents, only to find that they're after something more important than cake...
This game contains examples of:
- Bittersweet Ending: Kirby ends up saving the world from Dark Nebula, but never recovers his cake. Ultimately subverted in the 100% ending when the Squeaks apologize by giving him one.
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: In the cutscene where the treasure is opened, Daroach is referred to as "The Squeaks". This is because his gang of thieves was named after him in the Japanese version, so the translator must have mixed up the two out of context.
- Boss Bonanza: World 5-3 has you fight Bonkers, Gao Gao, Big Metalun, and finally Storo (if you don't get the large treasure chest, you fight Mr. Frosty in Storo's place). Perhaps of more significance, though, is World 6-5 that has you fight every member of the Squeak Squad (Spinni, Storo, and Doc) other than the leader (Daroach, but is fought immediately after in World 6-boss).
- Defeat Equals Explosion: Spinni, Storo and Doc will explode when defeated. Per the norm for minibosses in Kirby, but it's rather jarring when it happens to recurring characters.
- Dub Name Change: Daroach (from Dorocche), Spinni (from Spin), Storo (from Stron), Treasure Shot (from Treasure Shoot), Nature Notch (from Nature Navel), Cushy Cloud (from Creamy Cloud), Vocal Volcano (from Voice Volcano), and Dark Nebula (from Dark 0).
- Five-Bad Band: The Squeaks mostly fit into the frame:
- Floating in a Bubble: Bubbled objects are sent to Kirby's stomach, which functions as an inventory.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: Pausing a video right as the thief took Kirby's cake reveals that the thief is actually a simple Waddle Dee, not a member of the Squeak Squad.
- Gang of Hats: The Squeaks are an all-rodent gang, and all wear red.
- Goldfish Poop Gang: The Squeaks, save Daroach, are this.
- Inexplicable Treasure Chests: What the Squeaks are after, and what you need to collect for 100% completion. One in particular becomes the primary MacGuffin when Kirby comes to believe Daroach has stashed his missing cake in it.
- I Was Told There Would Be Cake
- Market-Based Title: The game is called "Kirby Mouse Attack" in PAL territories.
- Mighty Glacier: The Metal ability turns Kirby into one. He's invincible (except to bosses, mini-bosses, and the Squeaks), but very slow and can hardly fly.
- OOC Is Serious Business: This is the only game where the real, unpossessed Meta Knight himself doesn't throw Kirby a sword before he and Kirby battle each other. This is a hint towards Meta Knight's true motivation behind stealing the chest from Kirby before he could get the chance of opening it.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Kirby chases the Squeaks all across Popstar, and even into space, under the assumption that not only did they steal his cake, but that they still have it and are keeping it inside a particular treasure chest. In the end, he fails to get his nubs on the chest, finds out that it actually contains a Sealed Evil in a Can, defeats said evil, and then goes home empty-handed. He never does find out what happened to his cake, although the Squeaks send him a replacement as a peace offering. note
- Video Game Settings: Five being Hailfire Peaks settings.
- Prism Plains: Green Hill Zone
- Nature Notch: Underground Level mixed with Green Hill Zone
- Cushy Clouds: Death Mountain mixed with Bubbly Clouds
- Jam Jungle: Jungle Japes mixed with Temple of Doom
- Vocal Volcano: Death Mountain mixed with Lethal Lava Land
- Ice Island: Slippy-Slidey Ice World
- Secret Sea: Palmtree Panic mixed with Under the Sea
- Gamble Galaxy: Space Zone