Monaco, officially known as the Prinicipality of Monaco (French: Principauté de Monaco; Monégasque: Principatu de Múnegu; Italian: Principato di Monaco; Occitan: Principat de Mónegue), is a small city-state located to the south-east of France (which borders it in three sides) and bordering the Mediterranean Sea to the south. Italy isn't far away. A constitutional monarchy, the Sovereign Prince, Albert II, still has veto power, preventing it from being considered a full democracy. Albert II, who took over from Rainier III on his death in 2005, is most notable for being the son of Grace Kelly, who became Princess Grace. He has been married to South African Charlene Wittstock since June 2011, and has twin children by her (born December 10, 2014)—Princess Gabriella, older by two minutes, and Hereditary Prince Jacques, now his heir apparent. Albert already had two illegitimate children: Jasmine Grace (mother: actress Tamara Rotolo) and Alexandre Coste (mother: Nicole Coste). He has two sisters: Princess Caroline, heir presumptive to the Monegasque throne until being superseded by the births of Albert and Charlene's twins, and Princess Stéphanie. Population about 32,000, most of these are rich foreigners, as the place is a notable tax haven. The native Monegasque are actually a minority in their own country, numbering around 8,000 or so. These "subjects of the Prince" are protected by Prince Albert personally and are allocated, should they need it, with rent-controlled accomodation and employment in a country that most ordinary working people could not possibly afford to live in. Monaco is the most densely populated country in the world, as well as having the highest per capita police force (1 officer per 62 people) and virtually no crime. Most of the defence is provided by France. Monaco uses the euro as its currency. It's not like it has a lot of choice. Monaco is particularly well known for its role in the Formula One Grand Prix series, with the Monaco Grand Prix actually occurring on the streets of the city.
Famous Monegasque people
- Grace Kelly, very famous Hollywood star, who married Rainier III and became his consort.
- The whole Grimaldi family, too.
- In Axis Powers Hetalia, Monaco's Moe Anthropomorphism is an elegant young woman with glasses and dark blond hair.
- She's also described as good with gambling, reflecting the large presence of casinos and high-rollers in the country.
- Surprisingly, for such a small (though undoubtedly iconic) country, there are two Monegasque characters in the Fighting Game genre:
- An episode of Archer takes place here.
- The Monte Carlo is briefly visited in Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.
- Monaco is unsurprisingly set there.
- Erich von Stroheim's silent classic Foolish Wives is about three con artists who have set up operations in Monte Carlo and wind up targeting the wife of the U.S. envoy to Monaco.
Red and white are the heraldic colors of the House of Grimaldi, Monaco's royal family. It is pretty similar to that of Indonesia, except shorter.