Hey there, I'm James. I stumbled onto Tv Tropes back in October of 2007 and quickly became an addict. I started off just reading and posting anonymous examples back when you could still do that, then got known and moved up to writing new tropes, work articles, etc. I'm a bit of an all around geek, especially when it comes to sci-fi/fantasy lit and anime.
My biggest contributions:
open/close all folders
Tropes I suggested and others launched:
Tropes created, written and launched by me:
Wrote articles for the following tropes, works or historical figures:
Significantly rewrote/expanded the description of the following tropes or works:
Significantly changed these tropes:
- Gut Feeling (added 2 of the 3 variations)
- Foil (turned it into a supertrope/index)
Tropes that apply to me
- Answers to the Name of God: It's a Running Gag that I do. My personal favorite example with a girl I was dating at the time:
Her: Oh God!
Her: (She's a fairly observant Jew) You're not God!!!
Me: That's not what you said last night.
Her: ... okay, so you're a god, you're just not the God, okay?!
- Badass Longcoat: I don't claim to be particularly badass, but I do love my long black jacket, and it's impossible to separate me from it in winter.
- Bipolar Disorder
- Brilliant, but Lazy
- Broken Pedestal: Me mentoring people never seems to turn out well.
- Brooklyn Rage: Most of the time, I'm an aversion. (And yes I was born and grew up in Brooklyn, if you're curious.) However, I retain some of the attitude and according to friends I get scary when I'm mad...
- Chaotic Good
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: I tend to get very silly and carefree around people I'm totally comfortable with. They just happen to be very few, so most people see me as the quiet stoic.
- Combat Pragmatist: I did my share of fighting bigger, nastier kids growing up and in my early teens. As a result my philosophy about fighting is that if there's the slightest chance of being hurt or killed in a fight, then anything goes.
- Covert Pervert: Beneath the quiet, polite exterior lies a very dirty mind. People who used to seem impossibly dirty minded to me are now often surprised when I beat them in thinking dirty things.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Deadpan Snarker
- Friend to All Children
- Graceful Loser: I usually shake hands and congratulate someone who beats me in a game, and if I'm trading snarkiness with someone and they make a cutting comment, I'm usually the first to laugh and give a high five.
- The Insomniac
- Insufferable Genius: In my worse moments.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Worked jobs in multiple fields, and dabbled in various artistic fields as well.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Although the degree of this and exactly where I am in the Idealism-Cynicism spectrum depends on my mood and what day it is.
- Nerd: Although people tell me I look like a type 2 Hollywood Nerd. (People are weird.)
- Nice Hat
- No Social Skills: When I was younger. Still working on that one...
- Not Especially Eerie Pale Skinned Brunette
- Older than They Look: Which vaguely amuses me, since 10 years ago people regularly guessed that I was anywhere from a few years to a decade older than I was. Now it's the other way around.
- Perma Stubble
- Proud to Be a Geek: Hells yeah!
- Pungeon Master: I'm incredibly fond of my puns.
- The Quiet One
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to a longtime former best friend.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Hence why I'm usually poor and seldom stay longer than about a year at one job.
- The Smart Guy
- The Snark Knight
- Sophisticated as Hell
- The Stoic
- Stoic Spectacles
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Well, I used to be, anyway. The years are catching up. :p
Favorite Works (no order)
Feel free to vandalize here
- Hello there. It's always weird to find someone with no vandalism on their page. I guess you haven't spent a ton of time on the Just for Fun side of the forums. Anyways, it's nice to meet you. I'm Completely Normal Guy
- Nice to meet you too. Thanks for the kind words. :) And aside from stopping into It Just Awes me, no I've haven't really spent any time in Just For Fun. Might do a little bit more of it now though.
- Why hello...-Xiphos Orochi 666