open/close all foldersAbout me:
Quick facts about me
- Age: Vague, and frequently mistaken. Ok, I fessed up on the forum after my last birthday so I might as well do it here too. 37.
- From: New York City originally, I still live in the US.
- Hobbies: Reading, writing stories and poetry, photography, martial arts, being an incredibly annoying smartass.
- Politics: A pretty arch Liberal/Progressive by US standards.
- Personality: INTP according to Myers–Briggs.
- Religion: Non-affiliated, an agnostic with a fair amount of Buddhism leanings would probably be the most accurate way to quickly describe it.
Tropes that apply to me
- Adorkable: At least when you get to know me and I unwind a bit.
- Ambiguously Brown: My mother's family is somewhat multiracial and even the fully white people can appear somewhat Ambiguously Brown. I'm one of the "whitest", thanks to my dad's heritage and helped by the fact that I don't get out in the sun as much as some, but even I've been assumed to be some "non-white" ethnicities, as the US judges race. (Oh course, the way race is judged, or even the idea of race altogether is BS, but that's another story.)
- Answers to the Name of God: Reacting when people say something like "Oh God" is a Running Gag that I do. My personal favorite example with a girl I was dating at the time:
Her: Oh God!
Her: (She's a somewhat observant Jew and frustrated with this gag by now) You're not God!!!
Me: That's not what you said last night.
Her: ... okay, so you're a god, you're just not the God, okay?!
- Badass Longcoat: I don't claim to be particularly badass, but I do love my long black jacket, and it's impossible to separate me from it in winter.
- Berserk Button: A few, despite otherwise being pretty laid back and easy going.
- Lack of Empathy/most prejudices in general. Homophobia is probably my biggest one, as I grew up around lots of cool LGBT people that were kind to me when I was a lonely kid and they deal with more than enough shit in the US and around much of the world as it is, and don't really need any extra from bigoted assholes. But most of the ism (racism/sexism/classism and so on and so forth) similarly frustrate the hell out of me and make me want to punch the person who is doing so.
- Feeling as though someone is being condescending to me.
- Repeating things over and over to em to make sure I understand them. As long as I'm paying attention to you, odds are once is enough for me to understand something, and if not I'll ask, thank you. You don't need to volunteer it again, all it does is make me feel like you think I'm too stupid or incompetent to get it, or are being condescending.
- Bipolar Disorder
- Blind Without 'Em: Big time.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Apparently this is a complete cliche to put on one's own troper page, (and probably a little gauche/a sign of ego) but I'm usually ether the smartest or one of the smartest people around and it's not like I've exactly accomplished a lot with that brain power. Also, I rather intensely dislike having to invest large amounts of time in something (i.e. multiple years at college) instead of, say, just being able to quickly study a subject and then get tested on it.
- Broken Pedestal: Me mentoring people never seems to turn out well. Despite that I seem drawn towards being the Big Brother Mentor/Cool Teacher to various people.
- This comic expresses my feelings pretty well too.
- Brooklyn Rage: Most of the time, I'm an aversion. (And yes I was born and grew up in Brooklyn, if you're curious.) However, I retain some of the attitude and according to friends I get scary when I'm mad...
- Chaotic Good
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: I tend to get very silly and carefree around people I'm totally comfortable with. They just happen to be very few, so most people see me as the quiet stoic.
- Combat Pragmatist: I did my share of fighting bigger, nastier kids growing up and in my early teens. As a result my philosophy about fighting is that if there's the slightest chance of being hurt in a fight, (which there always is, even in sparring, although it wouldn't be cool to bring out the pragmatism in sparring) then anything goes.
- Covert Pervert: Beneath the quiet, polite exterior lies a very dirty mind. People who used to seem impossibly dirty minded to me are now often surprised when I beat them in thinking dirty things.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Deadpan Snarker: To the point of getting real life lampshades. Some of the guys I work with will say something like "And this is the part when James makes a smartass comment" when they realize they've set themselves up for such a comment.
- Formerly Fat: Much of my life I've been on the skinny side, but at a few points I've packed on the weight and then wound up working it off and getting back into shape. The biggest example was when I dropped about 50-55 pounds (22.5-25 kg) a few years ago and have managed to keep it off since then.
- Friend to All Children
- The Gadfly: I really take far, far too much pleasure in doing this with people I know well enough that there won't be any (major) offense taken. And I'm pretty much unable to curb that once I get up and going.
- Graceful Loser: I usually shake hands and congratulate someone who beats me in a game, and if I'm trading snarkiness with someone and they make a cutting comment, I'm usually the first to laugh and give a high five.
- Honor Before Reason: If I decide that something is the right thing to do, it's more or less impossible for me not to do it, sometimes to the chagrin of the part of me that likes to play at being mischievous and roguish.
- The Insomniac
- Insufferable Genius: In my worse moments.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Worked jobs in multiple fields, (sales, technology, banking, customer service, automotive, currently in/getting deeper into health care) and dabbled in various artistic fields as well. (Writing fiction, poetry, photography, creating videos on youtube, etc.)
- Knight in Sour Armor: Although the degree of this and exactly where I am in the Idealism-Cynicism spectrum depends on my mood and what day it is.
- Nice Hat
- Nice to the Waiter
- No Social Skills: When I was younger. Still working on that one... although the truth is I that I probably don't care enough to make as much progress as I should.
- Older Than They Look: Which vaguely amuses me, since 10 years ago people regularly guessed that I was older than I really was. Now everyone thinks I'm younger.
- The One Who Made It Out
- Proud to Be a Geek: Hells yeah!
- Pungeon Master: I'm incredibly fond of my puns.
- The Quiet One
- Real Men Wear Pink: Kind of an inversion, I guess. I look and talk geeky, I'm a bookworm with nerdy hobbies, I study and learn things for no reason other than knowing stuff is cool, was a literature major my first time in school, hang out with and ally with "unmanly" groups, (the LGBTQ community, feminists, my fellow geeks & nerds) etc. I also have spent the last 10 years going to public gyms, am an ardent boxing fan and a casual fan of a number of sports, and in the past I've studied various martial arts and would love nothing more than to be able to get back into it. Some Nerds Play Football?
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to a longtime former best friend.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: A lot of the jobs I've worked in have been, in one way or another, sales or customer service oriented. In all of them I refused to go along with any programs I felt screwed customers or were dishonest, even if it might make me more money. The almost inevitable result was me leaving after getting too frustrated with the way these things worked.
- The Smart Guy
- The Snark Knight
- Scars Are Forever: Actually, they all healed up well enough that most people have no idea they're there, even looking straight at them, unless I point them out.
- Sophisticated as Hell: I grew up in Brooklyn in the bad old days. I'm also very well read and have been from an early age. The inevitable result is the occasional casual swearing in the midst of an otherwise impeccably intelligent speech or conversation. People around me are always a bit thrown by just how casual I can be with the cursing no matter how many times it happens, because they're used to the intelligent and quiet stereotype.
- The Stoic: Again, at least until I feel comfortable enough to let people in.
- Stoic Spectacles
- Tempting Fate: Quite frequently. One of my (semi-joking, semi-serious) mottoes is "What is luck for if not to push it?"
- Think Nothing of It: I tend to to do the right thing simply because it's the right thing, and to do nice things for people just for reasons like seeing them enjoy something I enjoy. (God, I've turned into such a ridiculous goody two shoes in my old age!)
- Too Clever by Half: Frequently.
- The Trickster
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Well, I used to be, anyway. The years have kinda caught up. :p
Tropes I suggested and others launched:
Tropes created, written and launched by me:
- Retired Badass
- Red Oni, Blue Oni
- Surprisingly Easy Mini-Quest
- The Last DJ
- Mad Bomber
- Ignored Epiphany
- Redemption Quest
- Victory Is Boring
- Mob War
- Killed Mid-Sentence
- Old Soldier
- Don't Tell Mama
- Merlin and Nimue
- You Remind Me of X
- Tactful Translation
- Say Your Prayers
- The Reliable One
- Cradle of Loneliness
- Distracted from Death
- Small Role, Big Impact
- Motivational Lie
- Reminiscing About Your Victims
- Sympathy for the Hero
- The Mob Boss Is Scarier
- Scared of What's Behind You
- Gang Initiation Fight
- Genocide from the Inside
- The Dying Walk
- Never Going Back to Prison
- It's Personal with the Dragon
- Vicariously Ambitious
- Just a Gangster
- Artificial Afterlife
Wrote articles for the following tropes, works or historical figures:
- Princess Mononoke
- The Usual Suspects
- We Have Reserves
- Why Won't You Die?
- Shrouded in Myth
- Pyrrhic Villainy
- Least I Could Do
- The Last Days of FOXHOUND
- Korgoth of Barbaria
- The Warlord Chronicles
- A Bronx Tale
- Kill Shakespeare
- Demon Thesis
- Yagyu Jubei
- Oda Nobunaga
- Dying Declaration of Hate
- God Is Dead
- Rachel Rising
Significantly rewrote/expanded the description of the following tropes or works:
Contributed a lot to the character pages for the following:
Significantly changed these tropes:
Favorite creations of mine
- A short poem
He whispers your name
In a sigh that is half a prayer,
Then turns to the sky,
Searching for answers he cannot find.
- Favorite Photo◊