Hey there, I'm James. I stumbled onto Tv Tropes back in October of 2007 and quickly became an addict. I started off just reading and posting anonymous examples back when you could still do that, then got known and moved up to writing new tropes, work articles, etc. I'm a bit of an all around geek, especially when it comes to sci-fi/fantasy lit and anime.
My biggest contributions:
open/close all folders
Tropes I suggested and others launched:
Tropes created, written and launched by me:
Wrote articles for the following tropes, works or historical figures:
Significantly rewrote/expanded the description of the following tropes or works:
Significantly changed these tropes:
- Gut Feeling (added 2 of the 3 variations)
- Foil (turned it into a supertrope/index)
Tropes that apply to me
- Answers to the Name of God: It's a Running Gag that I do. My personal favorite example with a girl I was dating at the time:
Her: Oh God!
Her: (She's a fairly observant Jew) You're not God!!!
Me: That's not what you said last night.
Her: ... okay, so you're a god, you're just not the God, okay?!
- Badass Longcoat: I don't claim to be particularly badass, but I do love my long black jacket, and it's impossible to separate me from it in winter.
- Bipolar Disorder
- Brilliant but Lazy
- Broken Pedestal: Me mentoring people never seems to turn out well.
- Brooklyn Rage: Most of the time, I'm an aversion. (And yes I was born and grew up in Brooklyn, if you're curious.) However, I retain some of the attitude and according to friends I get scary when I'm mad...
- Chaotic Good
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: I tend to get very silly and carefree around people I'm totally comfortable with. They just happen to be very few, so most people see me as the quiet stoic.
- Combat Pragmatist: I did my share of fighting bigger, nastier kids growing up and in my early teens. As a result my philosophy about fighting is that if there's the slightest chance of being hurt or killed in a fight, then anything goes.
- Covert Pervert: Beneath the quiet, polite exterior lies a very dirty mind. People who used to seem impossibly dirty minded to me are now often surprised when I beat them in thinking dirty things.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Deadpan Snarker
- Friend to All Children
- Graceful Loser: I usually shake hands and congratulate someone who beats me in a game, and if I'm trading snarkiness with someone and they make a cutting comment, I'm usually the first to laugh and give a high five.
- Honor Before Reason: If I decide that something is the right thing to do, it's more or less impossible for me not to do it, sometimes to the chagrin of the part of me that likes to play at being mischievous and roguish.
- The Insomniac
- Insufferable Genius: In my worse moments.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation
- Jack-of-All-Trades: Worked jobs in multiple fields, and dabbled in various artistic fields as well.
- Knight in Sour Armor: Although the degree of this and exactly where I am in the Idealism-Cynicism spectrum depends on my mood and what day it is.
- Nerd: Although people tell me I look like a type 2 Hollywood Nerd. (People are weird.)
- Nice Hat
- No Social Skills: When I was younger. Still working on that one...
- Not Especially Eerie Pale Skinned Brunette
- Older Than They Look: Which vaguely amuses me, since 10 years ago people regularly guessed that I was anywhere from a few years to a decade older than I was. Now it's the other way around.
- The One Who Made It Out
- Perma Stubble
- Proud to Be a Geek: Hells yeah!
- Pungeon Master: I'm incredibly fond of my puns.
- The Quiet One
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: The blue to a longtime former best friend.
- Screw the Money, I Have Rules!: Hence why I'm usually poor and seldom stay longer than about a year at one job.
- The Smart Guy
- The Snark Knight
- Sophisticated as Hell
- The Stoic
- Stoic Spectacles
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Well, I used to be, anyway. The years are catching up. :p
Favorite Works (no order)
Feel free to vandalize here
- Hello there. It's always weird to find someone with no vandalism on their page. I guess you haven't spent a ton of time on the Just for Fun side of the forums. Anyways, it's nice to meet you. I'm Completely Normal Guy
- Nice to meet you too. Thanks for the kind words. :) And aside from stopping into It Just Awes me, no I've haven't really spent any time in Just For Fun. Might do a little bit more of it now though.
- Why hello...-Xiphos Orochi 666