Tropers / The Dysfunctional Family
—Everyone in the family. Everyone.
The Dysfunctional Family is a group of problematic students from Aberdeen, thrown together on account of being rejected by the rest of society for their sheer oddness. Three of the family have separate accounts
on This Wiki
due to their superior troping skills
As of the time of writing, the family consists of Mum (the mum
), Daddison (the dad
), Mum II (the other mum
), Doctor Buffy
(the evil genius
), Micheal William Guillaume John Macleod Fraser
), Bubblepants (the funny one
), Puddlefeet, Reuben (the not-American
), Midget (the midget
), Gerard (the medic
), Susan (the addict
), Angelina Ballerina (the physicist
), Syphillis (the sexy deaf one
), Scumdee (the Scumdonian
), Chris "The Creepy Uncle
", Fedora, Megatron, Murg, Da Man, Cat; and a few who ought to be members but lack a nickname
, including Bryden, Iain, Lily, Jennifer, Mhairi and 'distant cousin' Eilidh. And also Clyde
. And both Doctor Buffy and Bryden appear to have sentient hair which may or may not actually be in control of at least one of them.
This Family contains examples of:
- Badass Labcoat: Micheal/Guillaume, Gerard, Dr Buffy, Reuben
- Beware the Nice Ones: many family members, but Dr Buffy is probably the worst.
- The Big Guy: Chris and Megatron. And maybe Daddison or Reuben...
- Bowdlerisation: "Feckin' Boo!"
- Cast Herd: As of Second Year, the Family has been separated into individual flats, who interact with each other mostly only by arrangement.
- Catch-Phrase: A few, but most notable is the ecstatic cry of "FREUD!!" See also under Memetic Mutation.
- Chaotic Neutral: Most of the family. Doctor Buffy is a self-proclaimed Chaotic Evil Card-Carrying Villain (who many suspect is secretly Chaotic Good). Angelina Ballerina is Neutral Good. Mum II is Lawful Good. Mum is mostly Lawful Neutral, on account of studying law.
- The Chick: Shared between Midget, Angelina Ballerina and Susan.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: most of the family, but especially Midget.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Syphillis, Scumdee. Micheal/Guillaume drops Cluster D Bombs a lot. Dr. Buffy does it when he's really angry.
- Demoted to Extra: Mum II and Puddlefeet rarely see the rest of the family now.
- Double Entendre: oh boy...
- Dysfunctional Family: um, duh...
- Dysfunction Junction: It's in the name.
- Eldritch Abomination: Doctor Buffy's Hair is the stuff of particularly nightmarish legends, capable of eating pretty-much anything. And Bryden's hair may be a related entity, being capable of absorbing ludicrous amounts of energy and just storing it. We're not really sure what for...
- Ensemble Darkhorse: 'Creepy Uncle' Chris is arguably the most popular member. Also Megatron.
- Fan-Preferred Couple: Midget and Dr Buffy. Difficult, because Dr Buffy is asexual, and Midget is in a relationship.
- FREUD!! Was Right: Oh, he was. He was.
- Generation Xerox/Geodesic Cast: It has come to the Family's attention that the years above and below them each contain an equivalent Ragtag Bunch of Misfits made up of equivalent Suspiciously Similar Substitutes of each other.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: The 'bromance' occasionally seen to go on between Daddison and Reuben...
- Hot Dad: Daddison...
- Ho Yay: All the men with Chris and Megatron.
- Idiot Savant (or possibly Genius Ditz): yes, all of these people are doing university degrees. Yes, most of them are doing pretty well. No, they don't come across as clever.
- Lampshaded Double Entendre: FREUD!!
- I Have Many Names: All members have at least two, but special mention must go to Susan/Ellie/Elvis/Ellis/Elliebob/Ellison, Micheal/William/Guillaume/John/Wilhelm and Doctor Buffy, who genuinely has nearly as many as Jesus.
- In-Series Nickname: Most members get one upon joining.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Gerard, Dr. Buffy (maybe), Scumdee, Bubblepants... heck, almost everyone.
- Les Yay: Bubblepants, Syphilis, Scumdee and to a lesser extent Midget and Susan.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: 27 at the last count.
- The Mad Hatter: Micheal/Guillaume. And to a slightly lesser extent, most of the others.
- Meaningful Rename: Most members.
- The Medic: Gerard. Sorta almost.
- Memetic Mutation: "Mum-comma-slash-FREUD!!"; "Hi-i!"; "Fuckin' BOO!"; "It's a tarp!"; "Do the X. Do it!"
- Memetic Sex God: Reuben, according to Syphillis. "He's MASSIVE!"
- Nakama: It's a family. A dysfunctional one, but still a family.
- Nice Hat: Almost everybody possesses at least one. Bryden doesn't, but that's about it.
- The Nicknamer: Syphilis.
- Only Sane Man: Mum II, and periodically Angelina and Ellie/Susan. Cat tends towards this role in more recent times.
- Precision F-Strike: Dr Buffy does not swear except when he's really angry. Subverted, in that when he is angry, he swears a lot. Angelina Ballerina plays it more straight.
- Proud to Be a Geek: Everyone, to varying degrees.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Oh yes.
- Say My Name: FREUD!!
- Significant Name: The Dysfunctionals.
- The Sixth Ranger: Chris, Eilidh and Megatron.
- Shipper on Deck: Doctor Buffy has lost count of the number of fellow Dysfunctionals to inform him "It's a pity you're asexual."
- Shout-Out: Doctor Buffy. And Clyde.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism vs. Cynicism: Ranging from Wide-Eyed Idealist Midget to Snark Knight Doctor Buffy. Conversations between the two of them can be hilarious.
- The Smart Guy: Insufferable Genius Dr. Buffy. Also Gerard and Angelina Ballerina. And Bryden.
- Starving Student: To varying degrees.
Bryden: You know, sitting in the dark can lead to eye failure.
Doctor Buffy: I'll be able to afford eyecare when I've finished my degree. I can't currently afford electricity.
- Team Dad: Daddison.
- Team Mom: Mum, Mum II.
- Team Pet: Clyde.
- Those Two Guys: Guillaume and Doctor Buffy.
- Token Evil Teammate: Dr. Buffy.
- Token Good Teammate: Angelina Ballerina.
- Token Minority: Three bisexuals, two asexuals, one transgender pansexual, two to three sort-of-Americans, one English-Scottish girl. And two Eldritch Abomination follicle-beasts. And a ghost.
- Wife Husbandry: Team Dad Daddison has been involved with Susan/Ellie and Distant Cousin Eilidh...