A college graduate, freelance writer, and two-time NaNoWriMo
winner, Streamof Consciousness
has been browsing the site for years. When he's not trying to figure out his place in the grand scheme of things
, he's usually writing novels and articles, reading
, listening to music
, studying everything from art
He's also rumored to be a well-known reviewer
on a major gaming site, but prefers to keep that under wraps
This Troper contains examples of:
- Adorkable: Nothing makes him smile like a box of LEGOs.
- Academic Athlete: Took soccer and jujitsu in his undergrad years. These days, he focuses on hiking and world travel.
- Ambiguously Olive: No one can figure out his ethnicity unless explicitly told. Guesses have included Spanish, French, Italian, Russian, Greek, Israeli, African, Cuban, Colombian, Indian, and Chinese.
- Animal Motifs: The Octopus.
- Antiquated Linguistics: Whenever he wants to see if people are listening.
- The Anti-Nihilist: Tries to be this on his good days.
- Authors: Aside from his supposed reviewing career, he aspires to become a famous novelist.
- The B Grade: Had to deal with this during his Freshman year in college. He got over it, though.
- Beneath the Mask: He's far more serious and philosophical than his Gentleman and a Scholar persona lets on.
- Beware the Nice Ones: It takes a lot to make him angry. But when he does...
- BookWorm: His books aren't stacked on a shelf. They're layered. The eclectic collection includes Classic Literature, Fantasy, Historical Fiction, Horror, Thrillers, Nonfiction, Philosophy, Mythology, and Post Modernism.
- Most people have game apps on their mobile devices. He has encyclopedias on World History, Literature, Philosophy, Art, Critical Theory, Earth Sciences, and Astronomy. That's aside from texts, dictionaries, and podcasts covering Japanese, Mandarin, Thai, Latin, and Esperanto.
- Bilingual Dialogue: Randomly lapses into Spanish just to see if people are listening.
- Brainy Brunette
- Brief Accent Imitation: His default is the NorCal, but he can make it go all over the place.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Excellent at analyzing, planning, and strategizing...when he's motivated to actually do something.
- Broken Ace: Constantly strives to improve himself through studying and experience, sometimes to impossible standards.
- Camera Fiend: Takes hundreds of pictures whenever he travels.
- Character Alignment: Chaotic Good. Within the game, it extends to an Elf Wizard/Sorcerer.
- The Charmer: Has gained a reputation for being one, despite his protests to the contrary.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Most people think he's this until they realize he's constantly snarking at them, or he drops the act and gets serious.
- Color Motif: His outfits are typically comprised of darker shades of green, brown, and black.
- Converted Fanboy: It took a lot of coaxing to get him started on The Wheel of Time.
- Cool Big Cousin: Though normally quiet and solitary, he often ends up watching and mentoring his younger cousins.
- Crazy People Play Chess: While not nearly as pronounced as other examples, there are still shades of this.
- Cultural Rebel: He frequently expresses disdain over double standards, gender roles, and countless other aspects of society. He actively plays with or subverts cultural expectations, with varying degrees of success.
- The Cynic: Despite putting up a positive front, his cynicism is one of his defining characteristics.
- Doing It for the Art: He enjoys the creative process more than the meager financial profits.
- Do I Really Sound Like That?: His first attempt at voice acting was...interesting.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Having a relatively small build, and long, curly brown hair often results him getting mistaken for a woman.
- Due to the Dead: He was a pallbearer for his grandmother.
- Encyclopaedic Knowledge: Wishes he had this, and continually studies to make it happen.
- The Enneagram: Type 5.
- Even the Guys Want Him: It happens every now and then, often with hilariously awkward results.
- Expository Hairstyle Change: He grew out his hair to create a distinctive look and play with gender roles.
- Eye Scream: Narrowly - about a quarter of an inch - averted when he was a toddler. Scars, on the other hand...
- Fascinating Eyebrow: It's practically a personal character tic.
- Forgets to Eat: Whenever he gets really into reading or writing.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble: Often switches between choleric and melancholic.
- Geek Physiques: Knowingly subverts this by walking/jogging a couple of miles a day. He also played soccer and took jujitsu in college.
- Geeky Turn-On: Literature, History, and Cosmology.
- Genius Book Club: As a teenager, he made the effort to read every piece of classic literature he could find. His book collection now ranges into the hundreds, including everything from the works of Homer and Dante to Shakespeare and Milton. Subverted in that he covered all of these because he enjoyed reading and learning about their historical and cultural significance, not to make himself appear more intelligent.
- Gentleman Adventurer: Much to the surprise of anyone who thinks literature is his only passion. Notable adventures include:
- Gentleman and a Scholar: Tries to be polite, thoughtful, and is interested in studying a wide variety of subjects.
- Gentleman Snarker: Prone to this. Most people don't pick up on it unless they read between the lines or listen carefully.
- Gotta Catch Them All: Always gets a key chain whenever traveling abroad. It's recently been extended to local maps.
- Guilty Pleasures: Gundam Wing.
- Headphones Equal Isolation: He's typically listening to music whenever he goes somewhere. If he's exploring some place new, however, he leaves the headphones off.
- Hidden Depths: He can actually sing decently, but is too self-conscious to show it. Instead, he claims that no one should be subjected to it.
- Humble Goal: Watching all of Hayao Miyazaki's films.
- The Illegible: He tends to write very quickly, thus resulting in stylish but utterly unreadable messages.
- Informed Loner: Much to the surprise of anyone who doesn't know him well.
- The Insomniac: Used to be one in college, but is actively trying to curb the habit.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: A fellow in his mid-twenties who spends his free time writing, reading, and gaming. Those are hardly the most social of hobbies.
- In Touch with His Feminine Side: If his appearance is anything to go by...
- It's the Journey That Counts: The entire point of his traveling.
- I Thought Everyone Could Do That: Inverted with his eyesight. He made it through third grade before learning he really needed glasses.
- Jade-Colored Glasses: Occasionally falls into this on his bad days.
- Loners Are Freaks: Tries to defy this, with varying results.
- Massive Numbered Cousins: Though an only child, he's the fourth eldest of seventeen grandchildren. And that's just on one side of the family.
- Measuring the Marigolds: Subverted. He might come off as bookish and analytical, but his nature and travel photography indicate otherwise.
- Memento MacGuffin: Necklaces from Chichen Itza and the Caves of Nerja, a small jar of saffron from Morocco, a wooden hiking stick, Buddhist prayer beads, and dozens of key chains.
- Mistaken for Subculture: The long hair, dark clothes, and serious facial expressions has led people to assume he's some combination of rock guitarist, Goth, librarian, or some kind of hippie businessman. His sense of style and appearance lead to more awkwardness.
- Mistaken Nationality: Taken Up to Eleven in that while most people get mistaken for two or three nationalities, he's gotten well over a dozen different guesses. The ambiguity helps him blend in while traveling abroad.
- Mr. Vice Guy: Wrath.
- Mundane Utility: He doesn't just sing in the shower. He uses songs to keep track of the time. A personal favorite is Under Pressure, which clocks in at four minutes.
- Myers-Briggs: INTJ.
- Nerds Love Tough Schoolwork: Thoroughly enjoyed reading the Middle English version of The Canterbury Tales out loud. He also finished The Book of the Courtier in a single sitting.
- Nerves of Steel: When the house next door burst into flame, he grabbed an extinguisher, rallied as many neighbors as he could find, and fought the blaze until the fire department arrived. Granted it was only for a few minutes, but no one had ever seen the bookworm move so fast before.
- Never Live It Down: A notoriously awful karaoke incident in Cabo San Lucas.
- Noodle Incident: Transporting a huge authentic Moroccan rug out of Africa and back to the States.
- Not a Morning Person: Gets so into his reading and writing that he ignores the time...and comes to regret it the next day.
- Older than They Look: Thanks to his long hair and androgynous appearance, some assume him to be nearly a decade younger than his real age. Amusingly, it works both ways; due to his serious demeanor and general levelheadedness, many assume him to be much older than he really is. Much confusion ensues.
- Pastimes Prove Personality: Writing, Reading, Gaming, Chess, Art, Music, Baseball, studying all kinds of subjects...There's a pattern in there, somewhere.
- The Perfectionist: Occasionally, especially with regard to his writing.
- The Philosopher: Frequently seen musing over the questions of life. He reads various texts to gain greater insight and develop his personal philosophy. Several people regard him as a source of advice and morality in Real Life, despite his efforts to stay away from that role.
- Poster-Gallery Bedroom: There are no posters. There are framed, 1000-piece jigsaw puzzles depicting high-res panoramic photos.
- The Professor: One of his recurring nicknames; he's usually quiet and introverted, but if you ask him about something relevant to his interests, he'll go into full-blown lecture mode. He's also prone to making references that usually no one understands.
- Proud to Be a Geek: He's not terribly vocal about it, but everyone knows of his love for academics, culture, and video games. They just don't know how geeky he is; a quick glance of his place reveals a functioning Galileo thermometer, a PDF of Leonardo da Vinci's journal, literary-themed pins, panoramic jigsaw puzzles, three LEGO chess sets and a Hamlet figure, Castlevania and Zone of the Enders figurines, a Hello Kitty Chun-Li, William Shakespeare's Star Wars, the entire Graphic Canon anthology, and The Dictionary of Imaginary Places.
- The Quiet One: The written word is his preferred medium of communication. When he actually speaks aloud, most people can't hear him.
- Quirky Curls: About two feet of them. Some people are surprised to learn he's a highly academic Book Worm as opposed to a rock guitarist.
- Real Men Cook: He can make some mean sandwiches. The spicier, the better!
- Real Men Wear Pink: As mentioned above, he dismisses gender roles in favor of what he really enjoys. He was a Wholesome Crossdresser during his college days, and has a bit of a weak spot for cute things. He actively subverts the idea that Men Can't Keep House by keeping his household running smoothly and being surprisingly decent at cooking. Women often ask him for hair advice as well.
- The Reliable One: Usually. However, it sometimes goes to unhealthy lengths and results in a stubborn refusal of help, if not something worse.
- Renaissance Man: He aspires to become one, but he acknowledges that he is nowhere near achieving it.
- Schedule Fanatic: Used to be one in college. He still pays attention to timing and efficiency, but doesn't stress over it.
- Sesquipedalian Loquaciousness: Lapses into this sometimes in Real Life. Deliberately defies this in his writing, which makes it seem more natural.
- Shared Family Quirks: Recently discovered that geeky, independent, and badass determination streaks run wide and deep in his extended family. He still reads the most, though.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: Occasionally, though he's more comfortable with business casual. He also rocks a stylish trench coat and scarves in cold weather.
- The Short Guy with Glasses: He's not short, it's just that most men are taller than him!
- Shrinking Violet: Used to be one when he was younger. Some traits still show up, usually when he's in someplace new.
- Signature Device: An iPod, complete with the phrase Non sum qualis eram engraved on the back.
- The Smart Guy: Usually the go-to person for ideas and planning in Real Life.
- Smart People Play Chess: He doesn't play as much as he used to, but still enjoys it. He once beat two people at chess and Super Street Fighter IV simultaneously.
- Smart People Wear Glasses: And judging by certain reactions, it's definitely a good thing.
- Sophisticated as Hell: Uses this whenever people don't understand his overly wordy explanations.
- Split Personality: Gets accused of having this, in multiple ways. Most people who see his quiet and bookish side are shocked to find out about his traveling and creative exploits. Same goes for when he drops the snarky act and waxes philosophical.
- Starving Student: Reduced to one in the last couple of quarters before getting his degree.
- Stoic Spectacles: He wore contacts for a while, but eventually decided glasses looked better and were far less troublesome.
- The Storyteller: One of his best skills.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Inverted from the usual type; he's pleasantly snarky to everyone, but only those closest him know how serious and cynical he can be.
- Super Speed Reading: Attempted this briefly in college and decided it was too impractical.
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: Not so much on the first, but definitely the latter two. Occasionally gets mistaken for an Aloof Dark-Haired Girl if the person doesn't look close enough.
- Taught by Experience: Typically a result of his traveling abroad.
- Taught by Television: Infamously learned the alphabet by watching Wheel of Fortune every night as a child.
- That One Player: When it comes to fighting and action games. Oddly, he routinely fails miserably at RPGs and expresses disdain all the cliches that come with them.
- The Teetotaler: He doesn't even drink coffee. A Spot of Tea, on the other hand...
- The Tooth Hurts: Found that out the hard way when he had to get all four wisdom teeth removed.
- Thinking Out Loud: All the time, much to the confusion of anyone not used to him.
- Trademark Favorite Food: Jalepeños, onions, and garlic.
- Unkempt Beauty: Two feet of curly hair and Caribbean trade winds do not go well together. He gave up brushing his hair after a few days at sea, resulting in an unruly but stylish mane.
- The Unsmile: Sports a terrifying one when he wants to get a laugh out of someone.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Usually invokes this until said viewer gets a better look at him. The androgynous appearance and hobbies lead to other assumptions.
- Vocal Dissonance: You wouldn't think a guy with rock star hair would be so quiet.
- Workaholic: Especially when it comes to reading and writing.
- The World Is Just Awesome: A staunch believer in this, despite being an introverted loner and cynical bookworm. When given the opportunity, he usually travels around the world. Places visited have included Aruba, Chichen Itza, Kuala Lumpur, Singapore, Paris, Tangier, Gibraltar, Málaga and Seville, Thailand, and Vancouver and Victoria. That's not counting his trips to Washington, DC, New York City, Philadelphia, and a summer road trip around America when he was younger. Ironically, he rarely visits San Francisco despite living in its vicinity.
- Writer's Block: Dives into this occasionally, usually for no more than a month.
- Writers Cannot Do Math: Not quite. He made it through Calculus, then vowed never to take another math course again.