- Ambition Is Evil / The Unfettered: When he said he would stop at nothing to make himself Lord of House Tantibus, he meant it.
- A Pupil of Mine Until He Turned to Evil: He was Tobias' personal student before Nando, which could explain his feelings of betrayal when his mentor didn't make him his successor.
- Expy: A student gifted in Supernatural Martial Arts who was built up by his master to fulfill a great heroic destiny, turned to villainy when that destiny was denied, challenged his master's next student for it, and lost? Are we talking about Makoto or Tai Lung?
- Meaningful Name: "Makoto" is a philosophical concept that can be defined as letting nothing stand in the way of a goal that must be achieved, befitting the lengths he's willing to go to to fulfill his ambitions.
- Murder the Hypotenuse: A platonic version. He wants Tobias' fatherly love back, and if that means getting rid of his master's other apprentices, Nando included, so be it.
- Not So Different: Like Nando, he came to see Tobias as the father he never had.
- Psycho Supporter: He took Tobias' philosophy of self-reliance and tailored it to fulfill his own ambitions.
- Sealed Evil in a Can: Due to Nando's strict Thou Shalt Not Kill policy, he is currently in the form of a statue at the bottom of Lake Valor.
- Would Hurt a Child: Subverted, he refrained from having Nando killed because his power was too useful to throw away.