There is an option now on your profile page
to use "compact" folders. This works pretty well for phone users and others who like less scrolling.
Hi. I'm Pig_catapult. I also go by Pig, Piggy, Piffy, Peeg, Peej, Piffles, Ham Cannon
, and pretty much any other permutation on my name you can think of
. I'm 21, agender
(I prefer feminine pronouns), and live in California with my husband
and our chinchilla
I'm a writer, a poet, an avid roleplayer
and world builder
, a mod at the SCP Foundation
wiki, and a compulsive proofreader. I am not
, however, a Grammar Nazi
. Nazis suck
. I prefer the term "Knight of the Red Pen
" or, in the context of actually fixing things instead of pointing out what's wrong with them, "SPaG Faerie".
Applicable to me
Tropes I like
Tropes I don't like
- Actual Pacifist: If it's good enough for Ghandi, it's good enough for me. I don't like hurting people or seeing people get hurt.
- Angst Aversion: Sufficiently-angsty shit can ruin the rest of my day, so I try to avoid sufficiently-angsty shit.
- The Anti-Nihilist: We live in a shitty world with nothing but Cessation of Existence after death. Why waste what little time we have making others miserable?
- Blessed with Suck: There's this condition called hyperacusis. Part of my inner ear is hypersensitive and I can hear high-pitched noises better/louder than 99.9% of the population. Yay, Super Hearing! Sounds great, except for the part where anything above a certain pitch threshold literally feels like someone is stabbing something sharp into my eardrums. The soft tinny noise that comes with poor-quality sound recording is painful, I can't listen to some kinds of music even with high-quality recordings, and watching videos of cute kittens is an auditory minefield.
- Catapult Nightmare: No pun intended, but I've woken up from nightmares while in motion multiple times
- Catchphrase: Prefixing new paragraphs with "Also", and, subsequently, "Also also".
- Companion Cube: Asking inanimate objects rhetorical questions is like a pastime for me.
- The Confidant: I am a really good listener.
- Creature of Habit: I generally do more-or-less the same stuff every day, and I'm cool with that.
- For Happiness: I'm a secular humanist, and this is my morality. See also "Actual Pacifist" and "The Anti-Nihilist", above.
- Genre Savvy: Perhaps dangerously so; this and Fridge Logic have destroyed many of my big brother's more classic story arc ideas.
- Godiva Hair: I have All-Encompassing Mantle levels of hair volume, which often makes it impossible to actually read my nerdy T-shirts.
- Good Feels Good: See "For Happiness".
- Hell Seeker/Hell of a Heaven: Zigzagged. I'm actually an atheist, but if it turns out I've failed Pascal's Wager and there is a Christian-style heaven of eternal paradise and and hell of eternal suffering, then even if I don't get sent to hell for refusing to worship whatever entity is responsible for deciding who goes where, I would demand to go to hell anyway, because I don't believe that anything justifies torturing someone eternally, and consensually participating in paradise with the knowledge that such a hell exists would be the same as condoning the actions of whatever entity set this up, and I would rather be tortured for eternity than surrender the moral high ground.
- Hollywood Atheist: Of the Rage Against the Heavens variety. I was brought up Mormon, and much of my teenage angst came from a "Omniscient Morality License is invalid, therefore God Is Evil"-flavoured Crisis of Faith. Interestingly, this started happening after I got a firsthand experience of how Isaac must have felt: When I was 12, my parents' other child threatened me with a knife, and I was convinced I was going to die. No-one deserves to go through that, and God had Abhraham do it to Isaac just to confirm something that, God being omniscient, he already knew.
- Ill Catapult: My immune system sucks.
- Incredibly Lame Pun: My father practically raised me on these and computer science.
- Insistent Terminology: See above, re: Knight of the Red Pen.
- Ironic Nickname: Although many people call me some variation of "Pig", I have a tendency to under-eat.
- Like Brother and Sister: Blood doesn't really mean much to me. I choose who my family are.
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: I tend to gravitate toward playing Token Evil Teammate characters.
- Nice to the Waiter: I try my damnedest to be nice to pretty much everyone I come across, or at the very least not make their lives harder. The "pretty much" is because even I have a hard time being nice to bigots and people who ping my creep-o-meter.
- Nightmare Fetishist: Would someone who wasn't spend so much time on the SCP Foundation wiki?
- Only Known by Their Nickname: I use "Piffy" more often in my day-to-day life than my real given name.
- Pinch Me: I have, at least once, decided "This dream has entirely too many spiders. Fuck this. I'm waking up." and then promptly woke up.
- The Roleplayer
- Single-Issue Wonk: People using words incorrectly.
- Team Mom: Always the first to say that this might not be a good idea, but I know you're going to do it anyways, so at least be careful, dammit!
- This Is My Name on Foreign: In Real Life, I'm named after my father's mother and stepmother, except in French.
- TV Tropes Will Ruin Your Vocabulary: It happened.
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Repeatedly on This Very Wiki, even. Most people on the internet seem to assume I'm a guy until corrected.
- Watsonian Versus Doylist: I'm always a Doylist first and a Watsonian second when it comes to analysis of a work.
- You Make Me Sic: I've long since come to terms with the fact that my life's calling is to be an editor. Proofreading is a compulsion for me.
- Contrived Stupidity Tropes
- Cypher Language: I cannot maintain Willing Suspension of Disbelief around allegedly-alien languages that are really just obfuscated English.
- Death by Newbery Medal: I have a very, very deep resentment towards this trope. It's cheap, it's pointless, and made me cry a lot as a child.
- Diabolus ex Machina
- Goal-Oriented Evolution: This is just bad. By extension, I also hate Evolutionary Levels and Ultimate Lifeform.
- Human Aliens, Rubber-Forehead Aliens, and Humanoid Aliens: If your setting isn't live action/otherwise constrained by your medium, and your aliens are humanoid without a very good explanation, then you are not trying hard enough.
- Men Act, Women Are: This trope actively makes the world a worse place.
- Misery Poker: Surprisingly, my dislike of this has absolutely nothing to do with my hatred of True Art Is Angsty. I've just RPed with one too many players who always, always have to one-up any bad thing that happens to someone else's character, even if it means contradicting established backstory or compressing things that should take months into a span of less than a day in order to "catch up" to and then surpass someone else's Bad Thing.
- Never Be a Hero: The sheer Double Standard there bugs me.
- Never My Fault: Again, this is a trope that usually trips my Bad RPer Red Flags.
- Slapstick: If my father hadn't raised us on Loony Tunes, my parents' other child, who's autistic but went undiagnosed for most of his life, might not have decided that violence is the most fun/hilarious thing ever while simultaneously being unable to realise that I can feel genuine pain. Slapstick tends to trigger my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
- Omniscient Morality License: Yeah, no, I don't even write blank moral checks for God. I'm not writing one for your character.
- Thanks for the Mammary: Way too often it's contrived and completely gratuitous, and in animation frequently to the point where the direction of motion for the guy's body abruptly changes mid-fall to facilitate hand-on-boob.
- True Art Is Angsty: You can take your Newbery Medal Award and stuff it.
- Useless Superpowers: If you don't want a character using a Storybreaker Power to break your story, it's better to just not give them one in the first place than to give them one but then continually nerf it.
- Virgin Power: It's stupid. People obsess over what other people do with their bits on their own time way too much.
Series I like:
(Why do I have so many/such weird Crossover Ships
, you ask? My big brother and I have only been working on a gigantic Mega Crossover
setting and storylines for the past several years.)
- Last of His Kind set on avenging his murdered clan? Check. Gamebreaker eye-related powers? Check. Last seen spiralling down a self-destructive path because he thinks friends are a liability and he's trying to go at this alone? Check. These two are like those one-winged birds people talk about; once they have a shoulder they can lean on, they'll be able to stop floundering in their own angst and have a chance to really soar.
Tropes to send to workshop
- Blithe Spirit: Has to do with a character that shakes things up in ways the rest of the world thinks they shouldn't, but that's not the definition of "blithe".