I've watched WAY too much TV in my lifetime, and I know an absurd amount of trivia, having soaked up whatever I could find like I was a sponge.
TV Tropes ruined my nights.
That is all. :)
- Attractive Bent-Gender: ...Sometimes. (Update:
Getting closer than ever now... Can FINALLY look in the mirror and see something I'm not entirely repulsed to look at Nope, I'm practically moving backward now... :( )
- Viewer Gender Confusion: Can result from the above. Not usually though. It certainly doesn't help that I'm Transsexual.
- Bi the Way: Actually, somewhat bi-curious. But certainly NOT only hetero, that's for sure.
- Celibate Hero: Not entirely by choice, though. And (according to some people) not entirely heroic, either.
- Transsexual: I realized it when I was eight. Because of three things, even—Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, and the pro wrestler Madusa. But since I can't afford the transition, I'm basically a Crossdresser/Transvestite.
- Driven to Suicide: Three times, no less.
- Badass Longcoat: I have one. I also have a few NOT-so-badass longcoats.
- Nice Hat: I have a couple. One of them is a white Dragon baseball cap.
- Blind Without 'Em: Apparently, without my glasses, everything looks blurry and/or out of focus at 12 inches away or further.
- Does Not Like Shoes: Inverted. I absolutely HATE being barefoot.
- Coming-Out Story: Happened during my first of three suicide attempts.
- Chaotic Good: But let me emphasize the GOOD part.
- Heroic Sociopath
- Chivalrous Pervert: With the potential to be REALLY chivalrous, or REALLY perverted, with a more remote possibility of being REALLY both at the same time.
- Parental Meddling: Ruined my initial chances at academic success and any possibility of social success that may have resulted.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Ruined my later chances of academic redemption. (To be fair, it's not like I WANTED to miss all my homework assignments, I just never seemed to be able to get them done at all...)
- I Don't Even Care anymore: What resulted from all my wasted effort.
- Loveable Rogue: ...Maybe. Depends on how much you like me.
- Large Ham: Oh, so much.
- Ham and Cheese: This too. I also like sandwiches made of ham and cheese.
- Blessed Are the Cheesemakers: I also enjoy Peanut Butter and Cheese sandwiches.
- Perpetual Poverty: Subverted, in that I've actually gotten eviction notices 3 times, and many times I HAVE run out of food.
- No Indoor Voice: At times.
- Old Shame: Most of my life up to the age of 23. Your Mileage May Vary...I know mine did.
- Mushroom Samba: Part of my Old Shame and part of my first suicide attempt. Death was a Spartan in gold MJOLNIR armor, there was a weird "human taxidermy" gallery involved at one point (before the Halo part), and before I faded to sleep for real, I was wheeled through a neon pagoda (you heard right) where I saw Logan and Jackie from Veronica Mars for some odd reason. My second suicide attempt (a different drug overdose) just resulted in tunnel vision and increased fear response.
- Drowning My Sorrows: My third suicide attempt. Since then, my drinking has been VERY limited (almost to complete sobriety, my drinks are so few and far between).
- Defective Detective: I have brilliant observational skills, but I'm absolutely terrified of social situations to the point where I can't talk to people because of an automatic assumption that they'd turn me down. I'd call that "defective", wouldn't you?
- Determinator: It's why I'm somehow still around...
- Only Sane Man: Played ironically. You'd be surprised how oblivious people around me are to common sense solutions.
- The Cassandra: Normally coupled with Only Sane Man. You'd also be surprised at how accurate (but unheeded) my warnings and predictions are/can be.
- Cassandra Truth: Of course, no one listens to me to begin with. Good thing there's the internet, where SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE will listen to just about anything.
- Idiosyncracy: Absolute honesty. Apparently, people don't like that sort of thing.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: Transgendered Championship-Belt Designer.
- Hot-Blooded: I wear my emotions—mostly anger—on my sleeve. I'm also a Mood-Swinger.
- You Wouldn't Like Me When I'm Angry: Usually a result of verbal abuse directed towards me, combined with me being rather Hot-Blooded.
- Ridiculous Procrastinator: ...I'll put more detail on this later.
- The Complainer Is Always Wrong: I swear, there's something about me I'm apparently NOT aware of that makes people not EVER listen to me or regard my opinions as valid.
- Berserk Button: Many of the same ones as regular people, but some of my more "uncommon" buttons include the Jersey Shore show (along with famous-for-no-reason "sub-lebrities" like Kim Kardashian and her sisters or Spencer Pratt), the Train song "Soul Sister", and NBC New York (Channel 4 in the Tri-State area) sports correspondent Scott Stanford. My biggest one though is lying hypocrites (especially those who lie/are hypocritical/do both to me), having to live with two of them.
- Walking the Bronx: One time my mom got really REALLY angry and kicked me out until she left for work; I walked about a mile an a half up from my apartment all the way into Yonkers (and a little bit in after that) in the cold, before walking all the way back. My mother is very volatile.
- Leaning on the Furniture: I'm leaning on a pillow on my chair's armrest right now, in fact.
- The Insomniac: I tend to keep odd hours these days, usually staying up to between 3:30 AM and 5 AM. Sometimes a Type B when I'm working on my stories or going online.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: I originally refrained from putting this, but sometimes I actually do tend to be this.
- Saying Sound Effects Out Loud: Especially when watching Wipeout.
- The Lancer: I used to be this to my best friend...before I lost all my friends.
- Intergenerational Acquiantanceships: For some oddly disturbing reason, most of the people I associated with in my late teens/early 20s were at MINIMUM 15 to 20 years older than me. In fact, I don't even have any friends my own age anymore.
- I Need a Freaking Drink: Except, I almost never drink anymore after my third suicide attempt (intentional consumption of an entire BOTTLE of rum). I also need a damn cigarette (I actually don't smoke, but I really need to), except they're so EXPENSIVE in New York now.
- Made of Iron: Still around after 3 overdoses, and I'm actually in better physical shape NOW than I was BEFORE my first suicide attempt. My MENTAL state, on the other hand...
- No Medication for Me: I was on medication for my depression before...it made me feel worse, and now I refuse to go on those meds because 1) they don't fix the underlying root causes of my depression (which are all situational), and 2) my mother (who first insisted I go on meds) refuses to get checked herself and set a good example.
- Crazy Awesome: When things go the way they're supposed to, at least.
- Will Not Tell a Lie: Almost all of the time. There are a few circumstances these days which I MIGHT, but I tend to tell the truth...even on bad stuff.
- Expectation Lowerer: Trust me, you'll look like a candidate for sainthood next to me. The worst part is that I'm really not even all that bad, it's just that I'm REAAAALLLLLLLY not an exemplary example of humanity.
Meanwhile, I'm motivated by/represented by the following:
I wish there was a trope where I could express the fact that I'm not proud of my heritage, but right now, there's only a YKTTW I'm trying to launch
, called Heritage Self Hatred.
My characters in fiction display the following tropes (this is a work in progress):
- Author Avatar: Verity in my Whateley Universe fan-fiction, Jason/Jada Jordan in my Unit 88 stories.
- Apologizes a Lot: Jason/Jada in my Unit 88 stories, Verity in my Whateley Universe fan-fiction.
- De Terminator: Again, Jada (but not Jason) in my Unit 88 stories, and Verity in my Whateley Universe fan-fiction.
- I Just Want to Be Loved: Verity.
- No Indoor Voice: Verity sometimes.
- Gender Bender: Jason/Jada in Unit 88.
- Mind Rape: Happens to Verity (and to a somewhat lesser extent Tamara Lam) in my Whateley Universe fan-fiction, leading to a possible Despair Event Horizon.
- Driven to Suicide: Jason shortly before becoming Jada in his/her Unit 88 origin story, Verity before my Whateley stories start.
- Hazel Eyes: Both Verity and Clarity in my Whateley stories. Verity's eyes eventually turn green after intense short-term exposure to various non-standard perceptual weirdnesses.
- Transsexual: Verity.
- Living Lie Detector: Verity. This is hir primary mutant power. Shi is also trying to cultivate the observational SKILL version of it (a la Cal Lightman/Paul Ekman) to bolster hir truth detection.
- Mama Bear and Papa Wolf: Alternates between Tamara Lam and Ashley Poole in the Unit 88 stories, they are both of these to each other and to Jada (who is also fiercely protective of THEM).
- Telepath: Tamara and Ashley in the Whateley stories (not in the Unit 88 stories, though). Tamara is the more standard 'path, while Ashley reads (and can manipulate) emotions rather than outright thoughts. Both their powers are enhanced through skin-to-skin physical contact. Ashley also has probability-based precognition.
- The Empath: TECHNICALLY you could say Ashley (Whateley version) is one, but she INSISTS that her power doesn't actually work like that (she reads/detects emotions rather than feeling them) except when other people's emotions are REALLY strong.
- Mindlink Mates: Tamara and Ashley in the Whateley stories, slowly building up to Tamara and Verity becoming this as well.
- Psychic Link: Tamara and Ashley (Whateley), then they add Verity and Clarity after a group mind-exploration experiment goes right (though with some unexpected side effects, such as the fact that Verity and Clarity get added to Tamara and Ashley's link). Strengthened due to a later life-saving mind-linking "psyche restoration" procedure performed on Tamara and Verity.
- Cannot Tell a Lie: Verity, when hir power is activated.
- Will Not Tell a Lie: Verity, when hir power is deactivated.
- Truth Serum: Verity can envelop someone in a "Truth Bubble" (an aura that appears blue on the right viewing equipment) that compels someone to be completely honest. Most of the time, this Truth Bubble surrounds Verity when hir power is activated.
Personal Notes (because I don't wanna ruin the Vandalism section)
Me: For the record, I'm kinda jealous of Drunk Scriblerian
Me: also, reading the saga of DJay32
makes me really sad. I mean REALLY sad.
Me: I'm depressed...
, I seem so good on paper (I can't even find the damn trope for it, "looked good on paper"), but I'm just so undesirable. I mean, I'm honest, I work hard, I try to help out around the house when asked (I will NEVER do housework without being asked because I'm NOT A DAMN MIND-READER and you're not paying me to do it!), I run errands for my elderly infirm neighbor and clean up after her dog and bird, I walk my other neighbor's dogs sometimes, and I try to keep in shape! Except, I literally do hate my family, I hate my life, I hate myself, I have no job, no money, I'm too socially stunted to make it past the interview part of a job app or to make new friends or get a girlfriend, and my hopelessness has severely stunted my ambition to almost zero. And I'm a tranny with no money to transition. No Precision F-Strike
wonder I tried to commit suicide 3 times
Me: I was trying to be helpful earlier to someone in Whateley's IRC chat and my mind immediately went to a dark place. *sigh* No wonder I'm alone and friendless. Even I don't want to be around me after hearing/reading some of the stuff I say/write, so it only makes sense I'm hesitant to post my fiction writings. *sigh again* Eesh.
Me: Yesterday was my 26th birthday, and I just feel so damn LONELY. After getting nothing for Christmas and now nothing for my BIRTHDAY? Agh, I hate my life. I don't wanna be lonely anymore...and screw Rob Thomas for ruining that phrase.
Me: A beautiful woman smiled at me for no reason I could think of today, and I was too nervous to respond...but it made me feel nice inside, even for just a little while, before my day was once again ruined by my mother being mean. Dammit, I can't even enjoy a good-looking woman smiling at me...
I don't like the word "vandalism" here. Just post stuff if you want. I may post some random thoughts myself.
This section is for people to post stuff/vandalize, I guess. If you wanna. You know. If you don't, that's cool too, cuz it's not like I'm actually expecting...you know...stuff to happen.
- Hi. Noticed you saying good things in Writer's Block. [grin] —Morven
- Thanks! I mean, I'm a little late thanking you, but, you know...
- Hi! I'd just like to thank you for your comment on my page. With what I'm currently dealing with at the moment (the issues that my comment in Social Bullying thread entail - inability to trust, feeling alone, lack of self-worth, etc., etc. - it was really nice. So, sincerely, I thank you. —Punkreader
- Hello! I don't know if you have to edit a troper's page to vandalize it, I'm a newbie here, so if I'm doing something wrong I'm really sorry. Anyways, I saw your posts on D Jay 32's thread, and you seem like a great gal! Hugs and stuff. —MrCorfield
- Vand—! I mean... Posting! - Amused Troper Guy
- Awww...I just wanna give you a hug! <3 Taira Mai
- It's what you are that's making your life miserable. As in, you're apparently too introverted, lazy and/or pessimistic to get better results. - Serocco.