Tearjerker: The Heroes of the World's deaths are a prime example of a tearjerker. Unlike most instances of a major character dying, the Heroes of the World's deaths are permanent since they were killed by the Kabuto Virus, which (as a virus) is a natural cause of death (preventing the Dragon Balls from reviving them), and their souls ceased to exist because the virus was lethal to even the dead. However, it gets sadder because of the impact it had on the Heroes of Legend, as they were trying to bring the Heroes of the World back to their senses since the Kabuto Virus warped their minds and still failed. This ultimately caused the Heroes of Legend to become disillusioned with the Smash World, eventually attempting to destroy it (despite vowing to avoid repeating their past mistakes) in an act of revenge like the Heroes of the World tried doing for them. Despite the influence of Batman and Superman, the Heroes of Legend never truly recovered from this tragic loss, with Princess Peach even going insane months after the event due to her status as a Creator's Descendant and an Uchiha Clan member in this series.
- What makes this even sadder is Gwen's reaction to Kevin's death. As stated previously, Gwen was roboticized and brainwashed with her free will intact and was on the verge of a mental breakdown. However, the death of Kevin was what ultimately caused Gwen to snap and become an antagonist until her death, which only contributed to the Heroes of Legend's own mental breakdown.
- The Heroes of Legend's deaths from the Kabuto Virus is also a tearjerker due to how the Heroes of the World, despite not remembering their friendship, broke down in tears at the deaths of their friends. It gets even sadder because the Heroes of Legend were left with most of their memories upon reincarnation, so they were unable to reunite with the Heroes of the World that they knew.
- Ben and Kevin's reactions to learning that XANA removed Gwen's soul from her body to allow her to get to the Plane of Non-Existence are pretty gut-wrenching, as they both tried to save her and still failed. It gets sadder because Ben now has to live with the guilt of being responsible for the Heroes of the World AND Gwen's deaths. Even though Gwen is later revealed to be alive, it was still pretty sad.
- The Revolutionaries have succeeded in their goal of recreating reality, but the Heroes of Legend, Batman, Superman, Wolverine, Zero, and Sonic.exe retain their memories of the old world. This means they have to live with the knowledge that they failed to save the Smash World from ruin and the fact that the surviving Heroes of the World who joined the Revolutionaries are now non-existent, leaving them truly alone.
- This is only worsened by the fact that Jill Sheen, Necrosis Haruno, Neon, Dusk, Nathan, and Seeker Surrow no longer exist due to the fact that the timeline of the old world never happened. The fact that some of the Heroes of Legend will have to cope with the knowledge that their children (or niece in Kirby's case, since Seeker is Meta Knight and Zenet Surrow's daughter) are gone forever is truly painful and another sign of how much Kabuto's cruelty has hurt the Heroes of Legend.
- Ben Tennyson and Batman's Heroic BSOD as a result of this is what truly makes the recreation of reality a tearjerker. In Ben's case, he has to live with the fact that Kevin, his best friend, and Gwen, his cousin, are gone forever as well as the fact that he is essentially responsible for it, made more evident by the fact that Ben has become more stoic and serious ever since he awakened and his final farewell to Gwen and Kevin. In Batman's case, however, Batman has to live with the fact that he failed to stop the Revolutionaries, who are criminals, and that he failed to redeem himself for inadvertently hurting the Heroes of Legend, to the point where he has shut himself off from Nightwing, Robin, and Batgirl and was willing to kill the Joker in the open for his role in the event.
- Gwen Tennyson's final fate is also a tearjerker when one thinks about it. In the normal timeline, Gwen was essentially brainwashed to help bring about the end of the world while remaining fully aware of her actions and was on the verge of a mental breakdown as a result. Gwen then witnessed Kevin Levin, the man she loved, permanently die from the Kabuto Virus, which caused Gwen to embrace Obito Uchiha's ideals that the current reality is worthless, since she feels that Kevin's reincarnation cannot replace the one she knew. Later, Gwen learns of the Plane of Non-Existence where the spirit of the Kevin she knew now resides, and devotes the rest of her life to causing enough destruction under the belief she will be able to create a rift to the Plane of Non-Existence and bring back the Kevin she knew, descending further and further into insanity since she is stopped by the efforts of the Justice League Unlimited, and was ultimately unable to achieve her goal due to the recreation of reality erasing her from existence.
- It gets even worse in the reboot, since despite her best efforts, Gwen is ultimately unable to escape her role as Dark Kabuto's successor.
- Although Otto Octavius' mind swap with Spider-Man is exposed, his actions while impersonating Spider-Man ultimately causes Spider-Man to quit the Justice League Unlimited out of guilt for letting Otto paint the League in a negative image as well as tainting his own image.
- The Heroes of Legend then proceed to step down as full time members of the Justice League Unlimited. Their reasoning? They feel guilty for failing to protect their friends by allowing Spider-Man and Blaze to get possessed by Otto Octavius and Diagon and ultimately compromising the League.
- The Justice League Unlimited's fall from grace and internal collapse is a tearjerker in general.
- Surpassing the Heroes of the World's deaths as a tearjerker is the death of Ben Tennyson in Albedo's body. In a manner similar to Dying Wish, Ben and Albedo's minds are switched while Albedo is dying due to internal injuries caused by the Kabuto Virus. The difference, however, is that the rest of the Justice League Unlimited quickly found out about this thanks to Cyclops being Genre Savvy, but were unable to save Ben. Not only do we see the League's reactions to Ben's death, but a funeral is held for Ben (albeit concealed with Albedo's identity to prevent others from finding out) where Tony Stark delivers a heartfelt speech about Ben's selfless and heroic nature...while visibly trying his hardest not to break down in tears. Even Albedo, who is on the Watchtower IV while the funeral is going on, mourns for Ben while stating that his desire for revenge wasn't worth it while breaking down in tears. What makes Ben's death worse is the fact that this act was instigated by Solaris for the sole purpose of causing Gwen to embrace her role as the Dark Messiah once more.
- The Heroes of Legend, Batman, Superman, Zero, Sonic.exe, Wolverine, Spider-Man/Otto Octavius, Meta Knight, Sally Acorn, Obito Uchiha, Azula, Omniverse Ben, and Ben's team's reactions are especially heartwrenching, as they were the closest to Ben.
- Cyclops' reaction to Ben's death, while not as sad as the reactions of those who were close to Ben, is still pretty sad, since Cyclops blames himself for Ben's death since he helped Ben get out of the medical bay.
- During the war against Solaris' revolution, Albedo finds several holo-viewers in Ben's drawer for the Heroes of Legend, the survivors of the previous timelines, Gwen, Grandpa Max, Kevin, Julie, and Azmuth and proceeds to give them to the person they're meant for. The tearjerker part comes in when it is revealed that the holo-viewers are video recordings of Ben giving his final will to his friends, causing the Heroes of Legend, the survivors of the previous timelines, Gwen, Kevin, Grandpa Max, Julie, and Azmuth to break down in tears. Made even sadder by the recordings of some of the holo-viewers themselves.
Ben (to Gwen): Hey, Gwen. If you're getting this message, then it means I'm dead, that I bit the dust, that I croaked. You know what I mean. Anyways...I know our relationship hasn't exactly been the best, considering that we used to bicker a lot as kids and that you've been prone to jumping off the deep end recently. I just want you to know that despite everything that has happened between us, you're still my favorite cousin and no matter what you do with your life, I will always love you.
Ben (to Grandpa Max): Hey, Grandpa Max. If you're getting this message, it means that I'm gone and I've moved onto the afterlife. I never got the chance to thank you for that awesome summer road trip six years ago. Thanks to your guidance, I learned to use the Omnitrix responsibly and I was able to save the universe from people who would threaten to endanger it. Even if I have died, I don't want you to blame yourself for my death, but rather to be proud of what I accomplished in life thanks to you. Good-bye, Grandpa Max.
Ben (to Kevin): Hey, Kevin. If you're getting this message, it means that I died in the line of battle. I know we're weren't always the best of friends. I still remember the days you tried to kill me. Despite our...complicated past, I'm glad I was able to meet you, Kevin. You're the best friend a guy like me could ask for. Promise that you'll take care of Gwen in my absence. She's been through a lot recently and the only other person I can count on to protect her is you, Kevin. I'm counting on you.
Ben (to Julie): Hey, Julie. If you're getting this message, then it means one of my enemies finally managed to finish me off. I know our relationship has gotten a bit rough ever since my secret was exposed to the world and I'm sorry I didn't devote as much time to you as I should have. I just want you to know that despite all the bumps we've had as a couple, I still love you, and that will never change no matter what happens. Take care of yourself, Julie.
Ben (to Azmuth): Hey, Azmuth. If you're getting this message, then it means that I've been killed and that I probably let the Omnitrix fall into the wrong hands. I know you're probably too busy to even listen to this, but I just wanted to thank you for creating the Omnitrix. It was the best thing that ever happened to me, and I'm glad that you made such an amazing device, Azmuth. I hope you continue to make new inventions that will benefit the universe. Good-bye, Azmuth.
Ben (to Spider-Man/Otto Octavius): Pete, Otto. If either of you are receiving this message, then I'm sorry. Sorry that I'm gone, because I know how you feel when it comes to losing family, and that's what you two are to me now. You're family because of how much you both have looked out for me and Gwen. So, if you're thinking of this as my last will and testament, neither of you are getting my car or any valuable belongings...I'm leaving you the best thing I've ever had...a spot on my team and a place in my family. I'm leaving you the best cousin, the best grandfather, and the best friends a guy could ask for. They—we all love you two so...Peter, Otto, are you up for it? We're all here for you.
- The Young Avengers' backstory. To put things into perspective, Jill Sheen (the daughter of Fabia Sheen and Psycho Kirby), Necrosis Uchiha (the daughter of Sakura Haruno and Sasuke Uchiha), Neon (the son of Samus Aran and Yami Bakura), Kenneth Tennyson (the son of Ben Tennyson and Julie Yamamoto), Devlin Levin and Anna Levin (the son and daughter of Gwen Tennyson and Kevin Levin), Emily Wagner (the daughter of Nightcrawler and Ino Yamanaka), and Elias the Hedgehog (the son of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sally Acorn) were forced to live their early childhood as soldiers of the Insurgency by Cyclops, with Fabia, Psycho Kirby, Sakura, Ben, Nightcrawler, Ino, Sonic, and Sally being killed when they refused to allow Cyclops to do so, with Julie's consciousness being supressed as the Nanochips were injected into Kenneth. Refusing to allow Cyclops to continue to do this, Wolverine, Meta Knight, Zenet Surrow, and Kirby secretly planned to get the children off of Utopia II. In order to give his allies an opening, Wolverine sacrificed his life after calling Cyclops out on his actions. Unfortunately, Cyclops managed to catch up to Meta Knight and Kirby as they got the children, including Seeker Surrow (the daughter of Meta Knight and Zenet Surrow), to the boat, and was only stopped when Zenet activated a bomb that she strapped to her chest to stall Cyclops, much to Meta Knight's horror. Following their escape, Meta Knight and Kirby held a funeral for Wolverine and began training the New Avengers (including Seeker, who was given special sunglasses so she could see due to being born blind) with the goal of sending them back in time to prevent the Insurgency from falling any further. This is enough to cause the present Cyclops to have a mental breakdown
- Wolverine's pre-recorded message to the New Avengers before they leave for the past, with Wolverine expressing his regret at being unable to protect his friends and entrusting the New Avengers with the task of stopping the Insurgency from falling any lower.
- Juri Han's backstory. For those who don't know, Juri's father heavily opposed Shadaloo, the organization led by M. Bison. As a result, M. Bison killed Juri's parents and damaged her left eye. Juri would eventually replace her damaged eye with the Feng Shui Engine, causing her to go insane.
- Decapre's origin in Super Smash Bros. Crossover. To elaborate, in an attempt to lure the Justice League Unlimited into fighting them, Juri and Vile began causing mass destruction in the city. However, Juri accidentally blew up a car and severely injured the family inside, with the daughter being scarred along the right side of her body in a similar manner to Two-Face. Horrified at her actions, Juri betrays the Neo-Revolutionaries in a fit of rage before turning herself in to the Justice League Unlimited, requesting that they get the family to a hospital. Unfortunately, Scorpion murders the girl's parents and brings her to Citadark Isle to convert her into a weapon to replace Juri. The girl is then artificially aged to adulthood by Eon and infused with Psycho Power by M. Bison, being reborn as Decapre. In other words, an innocent civilian ended up being caught in the crossfire of the conflict between the Justice League Unlimited and the Neo-Revolutionaries and was turned into a weapon simply to spite Juri. Made worse by the fact that Decapre doesn't remember her old life at all, being left with nothing but hatred towards Juri (until she realizes that Juri didn't mean to hurt her) and Scorpion.
- Emma Frost's death at the hands of Albert Wesker to protect Cyclops, especially Cyclops' reaction. Made worse by the fact that Emma's death is implied by Vile to be the catalyst for Cyclops' descent into darkness in the New Avengers' future.
- Captain America's death in the Umbrella Nation Arc. Unlike everyone else who died up to that point, Captain America didn't just let himself die. He actively made a final stand against Jill Valentine to protect the Earth. What makes this even more of a tearjerker is how the Justice League Unlimited reacts.
- Cyclops' death in the Umbrella Nation Arc manages to be a tearjerker on the same level as the Heroes of the World's deaths and Ben's death. To clarify, Cyclops had just regained public approval and was turning his life around for the better. Unfortunately, Albert Wesker and Jill Valentine's actions ultimately caused Cyclops to go off the deep end and absorb the Phoenix Force before engaging in a bloody battle against Wolverine. However, when Cyclops realizes that he will end up like his future self and sees the full extent of Jill's threat, he makes the decision to hurl Jill and himself into the Sun to save the Earth. What makes this moment especially tragic is Cyclops' farewell to the Justice League Unlimited AND the Neo-Revolutionaries, saying they are the best friends and worthiest adversaries he's ever met, and Wolverine's reaction to Cyclops' death.
- The climax of the Umbrella Nation Arc. Neo-Umbrella has been defeated, but Emma Frost, Forge, Gambit, Rogue, Captain America, and Cyclops (in addition to several citizens) died at the hands of Neo-Umbrella. Although Jill's defeat causes the future to change, this causes the New Avengers to fade from existence, since the events that led to their lives never happened. To compound the tragedy even further, Iron Man officially disbands the Justice League Unlimited at the funeral for those who died at the hands of Neo-Umbrella, stating that Captain America and Cyclops were what kept the team alive even when they fell from grace, and that without them, the Justice League Unlimited is finished.
- The funeral for the people who died during the Umbrella Nation Arc shows just how tragic the climax of this arc was. Unlike Ben's funeral, everyone is mourning for the people who died at the hands of Neo-Umbrella. Iron Man, who is giving the eulogy for Captain America, Cyclops, Emma Frost, Forge, Gambit, Rogue, and the civilians who died, is struggling to keep himself from breaking down in tears at the loss of Captain America (his best friend), while Wolverine and Jean are visibly crying at the deaths of their fellow X-Men, particularly Cyclops. However, what makes the funeral even sadder is that even Madara Uchiha is mourning for Cyclops. I repeat, Madara Uchiha, the man who cares for nobody but himself and vowed to make Cyclops pay for his role in his defeat, is mourning the death of Cyclops, and even risks a conflict with the heroes just so he and the Neo-Revolutionaries can pay their respects.
- The fallout of the Cataclysm Arc. The Heroes of Legend, the survivors of the old world and the first reboot, the Creator's Descendants, and Kakashi Hatake managed to undo the Infinite Tsukuyomi, but several members of the Avengers died during the conflict while everyone else was left emotionally scarred by being pulled out of the Infinite Tsukuyomi.